Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amtrak damaged my bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amtrak damaged my bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 01:13 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amtrak damaged my bike

Anyone have any experience with Amtrak damaging your bike?

Took the train from Portland to LA and my bike was jacked up so bad when I got it in LA. Paint scratched to hell, a deep scratch in the rear rim which is deep enough to require the rim to be replaced and a bent brake lever.

I'm so annoyed. Luckily the train to San Diego is a carry on so I don't have to worry about my bike being messed up more.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

To clarify; You don't box your bike on this route. You hand it to the people at the baggage car and they put it on.
Old 02-13-17, 01:26 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Take lots of pix and submit them to Amtrak and/or your homeowner's insurance. Expect no response and you won't be disappointed. Prepare to replace, repair and move on. Sorry about your experience - I'm sure it's infuriating.
Old 02-13-17, 01:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Train travel was one of the reasons I switched from a carbon fork to a steel fork. I figured the steel fork could handle being battered around more than a carbon fork could.
Old 02-13-17, 04:58 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Hopefully you brought it to managements attention after it was handed to you at the LA station.

There is this on their website; Bicycles/bicycle trailers may be checked in a bicycle container for $10, in lieu of a piece of baggage. Bicycle boxes are sold at most staffed locations for $15 per box. Customers may supply their own bicycle container.
Old 02-13-17, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
There is this on their website; Bicycles/bicycle trailers may be checked in a bicycle container for $10, in lieu of a piece of baggage. Bicycle boxes are sold at most staffed locations for $15 per box. Customers may supply their own bicycle container.
Amtrak has different bike options. Sounds like the OP the walk up checked service, where Amtrak does not require the bike to be boxed. Some trains even have roll on service, where the passenger literally takes the bike on board him/herself.

https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

But the answer to the question is simple: The OP is S.O.L. absent a favor from Amtrak as Amtrak disclaims all liability for bikes that are walked on and all unboxed bikes accepted as checked baggage.

https://www.amtrak.com/lost-items-li...ty-for-baggage
Old 02-13-17, 07:26 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Unionized railroad workers are a federally protected species in the USA. Their union is very strong and they can do no wrong.

Long Island Railroad workers will steal your winter coat while you sleep. One of my friends was a conductor and bragged about a bike he stole when the owner dozed off.

-Tim-
Old 02-13-17, 07:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Karma sucks?
Old 02-13-17, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Unionized railroad workers are a federally protected species in the USA. Their union is very strong and they can do no wrong.

Which union would that be?

And please explain the interplay between the union's alleged strength, the particular damage at issue, and Amtrak's corporate policy decision to disclaim liability for unboxed bicycles, excluding from your explanation any and all assumptions and alternative facts.
Old 02-13-17, 08:48 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Which union would that be?

And please explain the interplay between the union's alleged strength, the particular damage at issue, and Amtrak's corporate policy decision to disclaim liability for unboxed bicycles, excluding from your explanation any and all assumptions and alternative facts.
I'm interested in that as well.
Old 02-13-17, 08:53 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Dem unions are the devilz, didn't you know? They all communistic.
Old 02-13-17, 08:54 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
That sucks... you have a good 'before' pix posted in the touring section, hope you raised the damage issue when you first received the bike at the destination. One of the many reasons I started touring with a folder.
Old 02-13-17, 08:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Tim may be a believer in "alternate facts."
Old 02-13-17, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by reppans
That sucks... you have a good 'before' pix posted in the touring section, hope you raised the damage issue when you first received the bike at the destination.

As I noted in post #5 above, Amtrak disclaims all liability for unboxed bikes, so it seems doubtful that he can make any recovery.
Old 02-13-17, 09:00 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
my friends........ he stole .......
Old 02-13-17, 09:08 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Ty0604
You hand it to the people at the baggage car and they put it on.
Personally, I would be surprised if a bike remained undamaged on such a voyage. It's just "Freight" to them.
Old 02-13-17, 09:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Personally, I would be surprised if a bike remained undamaged on such a voyage. It's just "Freight" to them.
Are you aware that the new baggage cars they have been rolling out have dedicated spaces for unboxed bikes? Sometimes accidents happen. If believe the route has checked baggage service available at the origin destinations stations. If that's correct, the OP could have boxed the bike rather than use the trainside checked service, where the bike is loaded unboxed.
Old 02-13-17, 09:26 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts

Long Island Railroad workers will steal your winter coat while you sleep. One of my friends was a conductor and bragged about a bike he stole when the owner dozed off.

-Tim-
Bull ****.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-13-17 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Bypassing forum censor
Old 02-13-17, 09:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Bull ****.
Maybe I can interest Tim in a slightly used, but still in decent condition, bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-13-17 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 02-13-17, 09:40 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Are you aware that the new baggage cars they have been rolling out have dedicated spaces for unboxed bikes?
The bike has to be taken there and parked/racked/secured next to other bikes by a human being. This is an employment task for the human being. The odds would be very low that this human being handles the bikes with the same passion and care as a C&V enthusiast.

I know this will sound rude, but I think the OP was being a little naive if he was expecting his bike to survive the trip unscathed.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 02-13-17 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 09:52 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
As I noted in post #5 above, Amtrak disclaims all liability for unboxed bikes, so it seems doubtful that he can make any recovery.
Yes I saw that, but photo documentation of an immediate 'before' and 'after' (with obvious background & timestamps) might appeal to Amtrak's graciousness - certain worth a try for the cost of a few megabytes in a smartphone. When I rent a car these days, I usually take a quick video or set of pictures 'before' and 'after'.
Old 02-13-17, 09:53 AM
indyfabz

The odds would be very low that this human being handles the bikes with the same passion and care as a C&V enthusiast.

I know this will sound rude, but I think the OP was being a little naive if he was expecting his bike to survive the trip unscathed.
But there is space between that and being completely uncaring--a big space. You sound like you have some prejudice against an entire class of people that's driving your assumption that the damage resulted from uncaring handling. Did you ever stop for one minute to think that the bike was loaded and properly secured without incident and that during transit some unusual mishap occurred that caused the damage? That's a rhetorical question because you obviously didn't and instead jumped to a different conclusion that meshes with your preconceived notion, regardless of the validity of those notions. That seems to be very popular on BF, especially these days.

And if the trainside service necessarily results in damage I think word would be getting around by now.
Old 02-13-17, 09:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by reppans
might appeal to Amtrak's graciousness - certain worth a try for the cost of a few megabytes in a smartphone.

Agreed.
Old 02-13-17, 10:28 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

You sound like you have some prejudice against an entire class of people
Interesting conclusion. Which class would that be?
Old 02-13-17, 11:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm sorry you all don't like what I said but I come from the New York metro area where unions have a lot of strength, workers cannot be fired for ever doing wrong.

A unioinized municipal bus driver could run over a pedestrian and the police won't ticket or arrest because one union watches out for the other. Most of the unionized municipal workers don't give a crap, are just there until their pension kicks in. It's just the way it is.

I have no idea what union Amtrack baggage handler's belong to. UTU are conductors. BLTE? I have no idea. That they are unionized is doubtless.

Originally Posted by PepeM
Dem unions are the devilz, didn't you know? They all communistic.
Devil and communistic are your words, not mine.

Should have said "former friend" and not a very good one at that.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-13-17 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 12:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts

Long Island Railroad workers will steal your winter coat while you sleep.
The Amtrak employees on the train between STL and KCM were fantastic. Helpful, personable, and nice. Roll on service is offered on this train too which is why I mention it.
Just wanted to offset the absurd comments you make for anyone who is actually inexperienced with bikes on trains.

One of my friends was a conductor and bragged about a bike he stole when the owner dozed off.
Odd person to befriend. Yes I see you are no longer friends. Still, odd think to admit/mention in that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.