Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road bike gravel grinder vs. drop bar MTB....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 02:49 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts

I just finished a road bike for gravel riding, an old Schwinn World Sport fitted with 29inch MTB wheels and 47mm Continental tires. I really like the way it rides and it handles great in loose gravel.

I have this ('88?) GT Karakoram that's just a touch too small for me but I like the bike, given I already have a gravel bike that works well would there be any advantage to doing a drop bar conversion on the GT? I have all the parts. Would I just end up with more of the same or would there be enough difference in the ride and handling characteristics to justify the conversion?

Old 09-24-17, 02:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm impressed that you managed to fit 47 mm tires on your schwinn world sport.

Rather than do a drop bar conversion, why not just use bar ends? They really help when riding long distances on a mtb by providing extra hand positions. I'm using my 1991 specialized team stumpjumper for a gravel event later this month set up like this.
Old 09-24-17, 03:09 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
I could see making a case for having both the World Sport and a drop bar conversion of the GT if the builds were toward opposite ends of the gravel spectrum. GT with fatter, knobbier tires and the Schwinn as a more smooth rolling machine. Maybe fenders if needed. How much wider a tire will the GT fit?
Old 09-24-17, 03:18 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
I like dropbar mtb as they seem a little more versatile and more clearance.
Old 09-24-17, 03:20 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
I could see making a case for having both the World Sport and a drop bar conversion of the GT if the builds were toward opposite ends of the gravel spectrum. GT with fatter, knobbier tires and the Schwinn as a more smooth rolling machine. Maybe fenders if needed. How much wider a tire will the GT fit?
I'm of a similar mind. I'd consider picking whichever is lighter (which also would hopefully be the one that also handles on the road better), and make that one a drop bar conversion and fit it out with tires that don't sacrifice much on the road, but which can also handle light-moderate gravel. I fitted out a Giant Iguana in this manner with Rat Trap Pass tires. It handles the bike trail and grass at the park very acceptably. Haven't really given it a gravel test, but reviews on the tires leave no doubt that they are up to the task.
Old 09-24-17, 03:33 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I have both.I have an all city space horse as a gravel bike and I have a early 90s specialized mtb that has been converted to a drop bar. They both run the same handlebars.the horse is tiagra with a brooks b17 and 700c wheels with clement ush tires. The Spech is claris with a brooks b67 36spoke sun rhino 26" rims with Continental Town & Country and full set of racks. If I'm out to put on miles I grab the Space Horse. For camping its the drop bar MTB. The combo works great.
Old 09-24-17, 03:36 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm impressed that you managed to fit 47 mm tires on your schwinn world sport.

Rather than do a drop bar conversion, why not just use bar ends? They really help when riding long distances on a mtb by providing extra hand positions. I'm using my 1991 specialized team stumpjumper for a gravel event later this month set up like this.
The rear chainstays required some "finessing" but not all that much and HiTen is fairly malleable, also 1982 World Sports with beat up paint and decals don't have a lot of value so if it had gone wrong no great loss. It turned out quite well however. I have 3 other MTB's that fit me, the GT was a trade in that had some high end aftermarket components I swapped out. I built it back up with period correct Deore LX and it turned out nice enough I've taken a liking to it. Since it's a size or two too small I thought it might make a good drop bar conversion. Plus triple triangle GT's are not too common in my neck of the woods, I like "different".

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Yeah, I have quite a variety of gravel I can ride and some dirt roads so that's a good case for doing the conversion with wider tires than 47's and having two similar bikes. It has 26 X 1.95's on it now which is about 49.5mm, not sure how much more tire I can squeeze in the GT but there is some room left. No "finessing" the frame on this one though, it's too nice, not doing any changes on it I can't undo with a wrench or screwdriver. The WS is getting Planet Bike SpeedEZ clip on fenders as soon as FedEx quits dragging them all over the Midwest.
Old 09-24-17, 03:46 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm of a similar mind. I'd consider picking whichever is lighter (which also would hopefully be the one that also handles on the road better), and make that one a drop bar conversion and fit it out with tires that don't sacrifice much on the road, but which can also handle light-moderate gravel.
I'd say they weigh pretty close to the same right now. The World Sport, which is a drop bar "road" bike, has proven itself to be a sweet ride on pavement, chip & oil and light gravel. It rolls over most irregularities very smoothly. There are some gravel roads around here that are pretty nasty, heavy washboarding on steep hills, deep loose gravel and soft as hell on the edges if you have to pull over, I haven't tried the WS on them yet.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks everyone.
Old 09-24-17, 04:02 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I ride lots of different roads that are collectively referred to as gravel. For limestone hard pack "racing" I have a road bike with 28c conti 4000s2's. Much faster than a comparable bike with 40c gravel tires. If the gravel is softer but not too loose than the cross bike with 40's is an ideal compromise. Sand, orv trails, or anything else that needs float will have me on a drop mtb with 2.1's.

Each is ideal for their own situation but of course you can't ride the 28's on sandy roads whereas the 2.1's are still reasonably fast on hard pack. Ymmv.
Old 09-24-17, 04:05 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I am on the verge of building up a 78 Schwinn World similarly. We don't have anything here approaching a hill, and very little, if any gravel. I was gonna put upright bars on it, and use it for a town and short distance bike, so my mtb doesn't have to do double duty. Thanks for the 29er tip.

Old 09-24-17, 04:07 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Yeah, I have quite a variety of gravel I can ride and some dirt roads so that's a good case for doing the conversion with wider tires than 47's and having two similar bikes. It has 26 X 1.95's on it now which is about 49.5mm, not sure how much more tire I can squeeze in the GT but there is some room left. No "finessing" the frame on this one though, it's too nice, not doing any changes on it I can't undo with a wrench or screwdriver. The WS is getting Planet Bike SpeedEZ clip on fenders as soon as FedEx quits dragging them all over the Midwest.
Sounds like a solid plan, enjoy! ...and pics please, curious to see how it turns out.
Old 09-24-17, 04:11 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I am on the verge of building up a 78 Schwinn World similarly. We don't have anything here approaching a hill, and very little, if any gravel. I was gonna put upright bars on it, and use it for a town and short distance bike, so my mtb doesn't have to do double duty. Thanks for the 29er tip.
38's should fit no problem and I think 42's would as well without any chainstay modifications.
Old 09-24-17, 04:16 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
38's should fit no problem and I think 42's would as well without any chainstay modifications.
I can get mtb wheels with 126/120 spacing? Did you cold set, or just spread them to mount. I guess I could build my own with whatever hubs I have.

Old 09-24-17, 04:25 PM
Murray Missile 

I can get mtb wheels with 126/120 spacing? Did you cold set, or just spread them to mount. I guess I could build my own with whatever hubs I have.
I used a rear wheel with 135 hub, I cold set for the hub, very easy to do on HiTen and then "massaged" the inside of the stays at the tire with a hammer and a 5/8" diameter brass bar as a punch. I only had to pickup about 2mm on each side in an area about 40mm long, it's not pretty but very effective and with a little paint touchup and the wheel and tire installed you can't see the carnage.
Old 09-24-17, 04:42 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,477 Times in 1,132 Posts
My problem with drop bars on MTBs is the longer MTB top tube. Kind of negates the drop bar advantage of more hand positions if two of those positions (in the drops and on the hoods) require an uncomfortable stretch.

However I know nothing about the Karakorum geometry: Perhaps it has a shorter top tube than usual. You say that it's a little small for you. That may be a blessing if the top tube also is shorter.
Brent
Old 09-24-17, 04:59 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
i'll echo obrentharris' comment on the length of the top tube. i ended up having to buy a new fork and the second shortest thomson stem that they make it order to make my stumpjumper fit. even with the right amount of reach, it takes a bit of time to get used to the handling of a mountain bike with drops (even with road drops).

i would proceed with caution and the knowledge that it might not work for you at all. there's a reason why they build brand new bicycles with road geometry that fit fat tires.
Old 09-24-17, 05:40 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Typically, the earlier the MTB, the shorter the TT. By 1990, they got really long.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-24-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 05:46 PM
Murray Missile 

Top tube is short, especially compared to the World Sport, with the saddle all the way back I'm still scrunched up pretty good when I ride it. Heighth wise it's pretty decent, I still have a lot of seatpost in the frame but the bars definitely need to move forward.
Old 09-24-17, 06:41 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I'm just curious, could this have been done with a C-clamp with the flat face removed? Or maybe a bench vice?

I used a rear wheel with 135 hub, I cold set for the hub, very easy to do on HiTen and then "massaged" the inside of the stays at the tire with a hammer and a 5/8" diameter brass bar as a punch. I only had to pickup about 2mm on each side in an area about 40mm long, it's not pretty but very effective and with a little paint touchup and the wheel and tire installed you can't see the carnage.
Old 09-24-17, 06:58 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I'm just curious, could this have been done with a C-clamp with the flat face removed? Or maybe a bench vice?
You'd need to support the outside of the stay and I'd leave the flat face in place as you are basically flattening the inside of the stay for tire clearance. In fact you might need to put something wider against the inside of the stay depending on the size of your C-clamp. A piece of steel pipe with an i.d. slightly larger than the stay cut lengthwise with an old chunk of leather belt lining it would probably work to protect the outer stay. If I ever did this on a better frame that's probably what I'd do, this one was already beat up some so no harm, no foul. If I didn't tell anyone what I did they wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it with the rear wheel in place.
Old 09-24-17, 08:30 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I gotcha, I was thinking you were more dimpling than flattening but that makes sense.
Old 09-25-17, 05:04 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I gotcha, I was thinking you were more dimpling than flattening but that makes sense.
In my case I was making flattish dimples LOL.
Old 09-25-17, 05:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Typically, the earlier the MTB, the shorter the TT. By 1990, they got really long.
+ 1. I like the 80s MTBs for drop bar conversion for that reason.
Old 09-25-17, 04:24 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I got 42s in my 1980 World Sport no problem - I just had to make sure my rear wheel was very trued. In fact, I wouldn't mind getting another one of those frames - with the 42s it cruised like a Cadillac over Baltimore potholes. I bet that'd be a fun frame for a cheap monstercross build.
Old 09-25-17, 05:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by tiredhands
I got 42s in my 1980 World Sport no problem - I just had to make sure my rear wheel was very trued. In fact, I wouldn't mind getting another one of those frames - with the 42s it cruised like a Cadillac over Baltimore potholes. I bet that'd be a fun frame for a cheap monstercross build.
I like it. I paid $25 for mine in original rideable condition about 3 years ago. I had it on my stationary trainer until this Spring when I decided I wanted something better on the trainer. I haven't decided on a replacement for the trainer yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.