Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Other vintage frames for 650B & 42cm tire conversion?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 09:22 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

After following jamesdak's lovely conversion of his Fuji S 12 to 650B wheels with 42cm tires I wondered what other vintage frames could make this conversion? So If you have made this conversion please let me know the bike you converted and how the conversion is working out. Do include discussion of fender clearance and long reach brake choices.
Having moved to 650B wheels and 32cm tires on our tandem I really get what a difference a wide low pressure tire can make in both riding comfort and speed. I am considering building this conversion as a winter bike when there's lots of debris on the bike trail and bike lanes those wide tires make a big difference in safety.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Old 07-25-18, 09:49 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
The two things to look for are vertical clearance on the forks, and horizontal clearance in the chain stays. Without resorting to denting the chain stays, I typically look for long ones.

Early 70's bike boom Raleighs are good for this, as a general rule of thumb the later the model, the less likely they'll fit without modification.
Trek 620's
Motobecane Grand Record and Grand Jubilee - chainstays aren't as long, but they're dented

Those are some I've had experience with, I'm sure others will add to this list.
Old 07-25-18, 10:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I just received a set of 650B wheels with tires. I inserted them into my Lemond (Ti) frame, and it looks like they'll fit. The tires are 38mm wide, and I can't go any wider than that. I'm excited. It's a tight-clearance racing frame, and it rides great, but it's harsh. These tires won't be harsh.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-25-18, 10:45 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Frankly I do not know of very many vintage frames that offer clearance for 42mm tires and fenders - the Fuji S10S, S12S as well as Ltd version and also the America from about 1978 - 1982 that are just about perfect especially if you are looking for a low trail Rando bike, which is what I did with my '81 S12S. I investigated quite a number of makes and there are not very many that offer low enough trail, if that is not important you may find a handful out there, getting frame dimensions and clearances is not easy, although there was a site that had listed quite a number of frames and had reasonably comprehensive information, the name escapes me at the moment however. That list allowed me to realize just how ideal these particularly Fujis where for a conversion. especially concerning bottom bracket drop and interference from the front wheel when peddling and turning.
Old 07-25-18, 11:38 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Anything older. When the narrow tire mania hit in the mid 70s it was complete and catastrophic across the entire industry. The bike business does not do anything halfway. If you look at pre-'75 it is not just a few models here and there that are readily converted, it would be practically everything.
Old 07-25-18, 11:57 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by VintageRide
Frankly I do not know of very many vintage frames that offer clearance for 42mm tires and fenders - the Fuji S10S, S12S as well as Ltd version and also the America from about 1978 - 1982 that are just about perfect especially if you are looking for a low trail Rando bike, which is what I did with my '81 S12S. I investigated quite a number of makes and there are not very many that offer low enough trail, if that is not important you may find a handful out there, getting frame dimensions and clearances is not easy, although there was a site that had listed quite a number of frames and had reasonably comprehensive information, the name escapes me at the moment however. That list allowed me to realize just how ideal these particularly Fujis where for a conversion. especially concerning bottom bracket drop and interference from the front wheel when peddling and turning.
+1.

The OP wasn't asking about low trail, but those old Fuji's were practically made for 650b x 42's and handlebar bags.

The makes and years I mentioned mostly all require fork reraking to meet a low trail requirement.
Old 07-25-18, 01:04 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I have wondered about my Ross Signature 294S. It easily takes 700 x 28mm with fenders, and has crimped stays and a high BB. I have not measured the trail though.

How about a Specialized Sequoia (if you can find one)? Those had unusually good clearance for their time. Not sure about the other geometry issues.
Old 07-25-18, 01:34 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
There is a long running thread on this forum devoted to 650B conversions. Treks from the early eighties can take 38mm wide tiresI recently converted a Zebakenko Record tour from 1978. It has low trail geometry and can take 650B x42mm Compass tires.
Old 07-25-18, 01:44 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
I agree that if your goal is to run 42mm 650B tires (or wider as there are quite a few wider options now), your conversion possibilities are far more limited than if you want to run 38mm max tires. I'd suggest you browse through the 650B Google group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/650b) or do a search for "42mm conversion" in that group and see what comes up.
Old 07-25-18, 02:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by due ruote
I have wondered about my Ross Signature 294S. It easily takes 700 x 28mm with fenders, and has crimped stays and a high BB. I have not measured the trail though.

How about a Specialized Sequoia (if you can find one)? Those had unusually good clearance for their time. Not sure about the other geometry issues.
If 42mm wide tires are your goal, I don't think a Sequoia would fit them without indenting the chainstays. @Andy_K might confirm this.
Old 07-25-18, 03:13 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If 42mm wide tires are your goal, I don't think a Sequoia would fit them without indenting the chainstays. @Andy_K might confirm this.
I can neither confirm nor deny this. I think it depends on which model year Sequoia we're talking about. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they added more tire clearance in '83 or '84. I had 650x38 PariMotos on my '82 Sequoia. These tires plumped out to just under 40mm on my Velocity A23 rims. Surprisingly, the limiter on tire clearance was at the sides of the fork.

I think a 42 would probably fit in the back:

Of course, if you're just looking for a bike to use as a starting point, the Specialized Expedition (if you can find one) would probably be a better choice for tire clearance.
Old 07-25-18, 04:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Surprisingly, the limiter on tire clearance was at the sides of the fork.
Interesting, ID on the fork is rarely the limiter on vintage bike frames, from what I've seen.
Old 07-25-18, 04:42 PM
since6

Thanks all and I will check into the 650B forum. As to tire width the 32cm tires on our tandem seem huge to me compared to the 28cm they replaced so 42cm was mostly drawn from the rebuild of the Fuji S12 S. I am sure that 38 cm will seem just at huge in comparison to the 32 cm we are running on our tandem, so don't limit suggestions to only 42cm capable vintage frames, a frame that would take a 38cm tire on a 650B rim would also fit my purpose of a very stable platform with comfort and speed for winter time riding and/or occasional hauling of groceries etc. I'll check and see what the 650B forums has to say too. Thanks
Old 07-25-18, 06:19 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
My 1985 Trek 410 can clear a 650b x 38mm with no problem - about 5mm clearance on each side - the chain stays are the narrowest location - front fork and seat stays have more room. I could probably install 42mm wide tires, but the 38's ride very nicely at about 40psi. The tires I have are Panaracer Gravel Kings and they measure an honest 38mm.

If you haven't seen this reference, 'Bikeman' has some good advice about how to judge whether an existing frame is a good choice for for 650b conversion - tire clearance and brake reach are critical. If you measure the frame's tire clearance at 320mm from the axle location, then this should give you a good idea about how wide a 650b tire will clear.

650B Conversion Guidlines

Old 07-25-18, 07:36 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
An 82 Trek 61x will easily clear a 38 and if you don't require a lot room for comfort, then I bet you could squeeze a 42 in. If you were willing to crimp the chainstays, you could easily add 42's. I was not willing.
Old 07-25-18, 07:47 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Having been in a search for a vintage frame for 650B conversion, and bought several, I can confirm nlerner's advice: there are plenty of bikes that will take a 35 mm tire in the rear, many that will take 38 mm, and few that will take a 42 mm tire. As 63rickert observes, those are mostly frames built before the mid-70s.

Another issue is brake reach. Unless you're willing to go the braze-on mounting boss route, Compass or Mafac Raid will only go to 80 mm reach when mounted to standard fork crown and brake bridge holes. Many of the older frames that will take a wider tire also have pretty long reach: made for centerpull brakes, often 27" rims, and so forth.

The best candidate I think that I have, dimension-wise is a 1974 Peugeot PX-10 with 50 mm+ clearance between rear chain stays, and fairly short brake reach; but it's also not my favorite. Runner up in that department is a recently purchased Motobécane Le Champion, 1972 or so, with 47 mm and slightly more reach. UNICORN ALERT - delusional statement: An unexpected bonus that came with it, though, was a Universal 61 centerpull that appears to have about 80 mm reach. I didn't know those existed. As gugie has observed, Raleighs seem to be highly variable; and frames with longer chainstays (like 44.5 cm) usually have better clearance for accommodating a 650B tire.

EDIT: must have been those mushrooms I ate; remeasured this caliper, and it appears to have 72 mm reach max., as documented in some Universal catalog.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 08-25-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 08:03 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Couple of points. You want clearance, not just possibility of shoehorning a wheel in. Most tires stretch over time. All Japanese nylon casing clinchers stretch over time. There is batch variation. You can buy the same make and model of tire and next time it's bigger. You might rebuild a wheel with a different rim, a wider rim, and suddenly you ate another bit of clearance. Or the same width rim, but the hook and bead seat are a little different and the tire mounts bigger. Spokes don't break as frequently as they once did, they still break. Now what is your clearance?

Smaller wheels ride harsher. Smaller diameter means the wheel goes deeper into that rut. Big wheel bridges over gaps that smaller wheels fall into. You need at 42mm of 650 tire to get roughly similar comfort to a 700x35. Raising the question why not simply get a bike that handles 700x35. And for those riding Gatorhosen, Armadillos, or Marathons, your bike rides like a tank because of those tires. If you take a ride on Hetres of course it feels great. Put Marathons on a 650 wheel instead of Hetres and you have a tank again. Put Compass or Vittoria on the bike you already got and feel the comfort. Is this trip necessary?

Bikeman guidelines noted above tell me that if I ground a pedal I'm surefire going to crash. Funny, I grounded a pedal on Sunday and here I am. Back in racing days, when we raced on widish pedals with toeclips, everyone who raced wore down the bottom corner of their Campy pedals. When the bearings were visible it was time to buy new pedals. And no one noticed a thing. You'd have 100 guys going through a crit corner and every one tagged their pedal. And no one crashed. No one even noticed. Too much going on to notice a little thing like pedal strike. If you ride big wide flat pedals you might ground a pedal once in a while. If you ride skinny one-sided clipless pedals you may never ground a pedal. It ain't likely. Of course bikes with low bottom brackets handle far better, have less wind resistance, tuck into the draft of the rider ahead better. But we can't have those bikes anymore because some blogger invented the myth of pedal strike. Your 650 wheel is 19mm less radius than a 700. The tire you will put on that smaller wheel will have approx 5-15mm greater radius. The bottom bracket with 650 is not that much lower. And getting a lower bracket is one of the totally unqualifiedly excellent things about a 650 conversion. No production bike and darn few customs ever had a bracket that was too low to handle a 700>650 conversion.
Old 07-25-18, 09:19 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
You know as I sit here thinking about it I bet my old mid 80s Orbea Cabestany would fit a pretty wide 650b setup. It's all ready got a ton of room running a fat 700 x 30c tire. Hmmmm...

The problem may be finding one in the states as Orbea was not importing them then. I don't know how this one got here. I'll also freely admit that the build quality is much less than the Fuji. It sure is fast though.
Old 07-25-18, 10:46 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
This thread is starting to make it sound really hard. That hasn’t been my experience. Some frames are better than others but I don’t think it’s all that rare to find one that will work passably.

What I did was build a set of 650B wheels, buy a set of 650B tires, and then try them on a bunch of frames I had (admittedly, this last step required having a bunch of candidate frames). I found the following frames had clearance for 650x38 tires:

1980 Schwinn Voyageur (tons of clearance)
1982 Specialized Sequoia
1982 Trek 614
1972 Motobecane Grand Record
1975 Motobecane Grand Jubilé
1987 Centurion LeMans RS (tight clearance)

Basically everything I had that wasn’t a race bike. YMMV

Several of the frames had brake reach issues, but there are ways to handle that. The Grand Jubilé was the one I liked the ride of best, so that’s the one that still has the 650B wheels and has since been modified to have a more permanent brake reach solution (cantilever studs brazed on).

My point is people shouldn’t be afraid to experiment.

Old 07-26-18, 01:12 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Interesting, ID on the fork is rarely the limiter on vintage bike frames, from what I've seen.
My 1987 Marinoni Sports Tourer could accommodate 650Bx42 in back easily and there’s enough fork crown height, but like @Andy_K, the reinforcement tangs inside the fork legs limit tires to 38mm. And Berthoud 50mm fenders are a nice fit with this combination, which wouldn’t be true with 42’s. This isn’t exactly a production frame, however, or even one I’ve ever seen before.

One other “feature” of 38’s in this conversion: the QR of my Tektro 556 long-reach calipers combined with the Ergo lever QR just lets those tires through without any deflation.

FWIW, I was glad to have this bike in 650B configuration on the recent Palouse ride for its gravel sections, but switched back to 700C X 32 as soon as we got back, since gravel rides aren’t my forte.
Old 07-26-18, 04:45 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
As Andy notes, having a 650b wheelset on hand and trying them on any frame that comes through is quite revealing. My most frequently ridden conversion is a ‘97 Lemond Buenos Aires, which is running 38mm tires. I had to crimp the chainstays to get enough clearance, but that wasn’t difficult using a vise and various metal objects. It has the benefits of a lightweight steel frame (Reynolds 853), somewhat aggressive geometry, but fairly smoothed out by those wider tires (and I’m running Compass tires, which is key).
Old 07-26-18, 08:20 AM
since6

Thanks all, it's kind of like being Santa. I'm gathering my list and checking it twice, lol. But seriously this is what makes this forum, such a wealth of knowledge shared.

Now the most important thing, be patient, wait for the right condition frame and right size. That latter will be the hardest part, lots of big frames found so far, but medium frame? Again "be patient" must be the mantra.

But be ready too.
Old 07-26-18, 12:14 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Do give serious consideration to one of those Fuji S12S and variants I mentioned, very stable, predictable and nice riding bikes that really only need Dia Compe 750 center pull brakes to convert, and once you have tried 42mm tires you may not want to go back. Great for gravel roads and trails and even with 175mm crank arms and wide MKS Sylvan pedals under normal cornering pedal strike is a non issue. It is true that these bikes seem to have been designed for 650b, especially a front load but are fine without it. Here is my conversion, purchased as a frame and built up. I had it cold set at the rear for 135mm hub spacing ( Shimano XT ) as I had the wheel set beforehand, currently using Shimano 9 speed ( 11-34T ) with a combination of Shimano Mountain derailleurs ( XT ) and Campagnolo Ergo 10 speed shifters.

I might spring for some TA Cylotouriste triple cranks and an older Shimano Mountain rear derailleur one day just because I like the look of them. I spent a good amount of money on components but do not regret it as the bike, though not particularly light, just works so well and feels lighter.

Last edited by VintageRide; 07-26-18 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 12:53 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

I used a Raleigh Olympian. I bought a pair of inexpensive Tektro long reach brakes to hit the rims.
Old 07-26-18, 01:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 63rickert
No production bike and darn few customs ever had a bracket that was too low to handle a 700>650 conversion.
+1

I've only had one conversion that I felt the BB was too low, but it was still rideable. It was an older Velo Orange lugged frame, riding the gap between not very tall speed bumps in a parking lot I would hit them if I forgot to just freewheel over.

Pedal strike is probably over-rated, so is toe-clip overlap. If I were building a custom frame I'd take both into consideration, but it's not that big a deal to most riders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.