Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Fitbit Blaze and Wahoo Bolt

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 10:23 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Been thinking about getting the Bolt for a number of reasons, currently I have a Bontrager Trip 300 with DuoTrap S sensor. Which should be no problem to pair with the bolt, but I also have a Fitbit blaze which has a HR monitor and is Bluetooth and I wanted to know definitively that it will pair with the Bolt. It doesn't pair with the 300 the sensor is ant+ / Bluetooth but not the head.

Would also not mind hearing any opinions on the Wahoo companion app.
Old 08-16-18, 11:11 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's Bluetooth so I was hoping it would but just found this on DC Rainmakers websites that put's it in question.

It say does not re-broadcast HR data ????
Old 08-25-18, 07:56 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
As far as I can tell, no Fitbit will work as an HRM for other devices (I've got a Surge and have looked into this too). The company wants to keep you ensconced in their walled garden.
Old 08-25-18, 10:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Fitbits do what they do, but they aren't part of the fitness "ecosystem" where you can use just about any HRM or speed/cadence/power/etc sensor with just about any computer, as long as they support the same protocol.
Old 08-26-18, 05:34 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yes I now have the Wahoo Bolt and it's a no go, they communicate in a proprietary way only with their program. Loving the bolt and have a new Garmin HRM on it's way!
Old 08-28-18, 05:54 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Man I have no luck, I purchase a Garmin Vivosmart3 which is Bluetooth and Ant+ and is suppose to pair with the Wahoo Bolt but no luck the Wahoo won't find the Garmin!
I've tried from the the app, from the unit direct, I left the house to avoid WiFi interference, nada nothing.
Yes I'm wearing it and keeping it awake the whole time.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated
Old 08-28-18, 07:50 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Check the battery. Does it have a plastic bit that needs to be pulled out? Does it have enough power left to broadcast? I had problems with my Wahoo sensors and a fresh battery solved it.
Old 08-28-18, 08:01 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
All charged up that's not it. The Vivosmart is working it's finding Garmin Connect, but the Bolt is not finding the Garmin.
The Bolt found my Duo Trap S sensor on my bike and that works getting speed and cadence.
Old 08-29-18, 06:55 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Companion app auto-calculates the HR zones 'incorrectly' (0-65, 65-75, 75-85, 85-95, 95-100), but you can always enter your own values. Otherwise, it's great.

The Bolt itself is fantastic. I love mine. I don't know if it will pair with the FitBit, however, though it'll pair with just about anything with BT capabilities, so I wouldn't expect problems there.
Old 08-30-18, 04:43 PM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Man I have no luck, I purchase a Garmin Vivosmart3 which is Bluetooth and Ant+ and is suppose to pair with the Wahoo Bolt but no luck the Wahoo won't find the Garmin!
I've tried from the the app, from the unit direct, I left the house to avoid WiFi interference, nada nothing.
Yes I'm wearing it and keeping it awake the whole time.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated
Not sure if this is the problem, but did you put the Vivosmart in broadcast mode? Go to settings/Heartrate/Broadcast Mode and select. You should see the HR broadcast icon on the watch. Then try pairing with the Bolt.
Old 08-30-18, 05:10 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Now that the kind of help I'm looking for, like turning on broadcast mode! Unfortunately no where under setting can I find Broadcast mode! I've looked everywhere trying to find something not turned on.

I did write both Garmin and Wahoo, Wahoo answered the next day, they don't feel the Vivosmart3 rebroadcasts!!! I have NOT heard back from Garmin yet in 3 days.
I don't get it WHY make it both Bluetooth and Ant+ if it's not going to rebroadcast You don't need both to talk with your own app!, is it me? Am I missing something or is that stupid ??
Not happy with Garmin and I'm going to do what I can to return the Vivosmart, don't even want to exchange for one that broadcast...I'm done.
Very happy with the Wahoo Bolt so far, guess I'll buy their arm band HR monitor.

Update: a phone call with Garmin confirms the Vivosmart3 does NOT rebroadcast! he had no answer for why Bluetooth / Ant+ if not rebroadcasting!!!
RMA issued

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 08-31-18 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 01:58 AM
sierrabob

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Now that the kind of help I'm looking for, like turning on broadcast mode! Unfortunately no where under setting can I find Broadcast mode! I've looked everywhere trying to find something not turned on.

I did write both Garmin and Wahoo, Wahoo answered the next day, they don't feel the Vivosmart3 rebroadcasts!!! I have NOT heard back from Garmin yet in 3 days.
I don't get it WHY make it both Bluetooth and Ant+ if it's not going to rebroadcast You don't need both to talk with your own app!, is it me? Am I missing something or is that stupid ??
Not happy with Garmin and I'm going to do what I can to return the Vivosmart, don't even want to exchange for one that broadcast...I'm done.
Very happy with the Wahoo Bolt so far, guess I'll buy their arm band HR monitor.

Update: a phone call with Garmin the Vivosmart3 does NOT rebroadcast! he had no answer for why Bluetooth / Ant+ if not rebroadcasting!!!
RMA issued
That's shocking news! I remember troubleshooting this same issue with a friend's Vivosmart a few months ago. Not sure which model. I just swiped to the heart rate screen executed a long press, i.e., press and hold, then voila, it displayed the broadcast icon. It's a very cool feature.
Old 08-31-18, 02:50 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sierrabob
That's shocking news! I remember troubleshooting this same issue with a friend's Vivosmart a few months ago. Not sure which model. I just swiped to the heart rate screen executed a long press, i.e., press and hold, then voila, it displayed the broadcast icon. It's a very cool feature.
That's because some of the models do broadcast, I think if I have went with the older Vivosmart HR I would not be having this conversation. But I decided to go with the newer model and I checked on the website which said both Bluetooth / Ant+ I couldn't imagine it wouldn't work, isn't that the point of doing both?

The Garmin connect app was nice I liked it's breakdown, It was like the Fitbit used to be! Every time they upgrade the Fitbit Dashboard it got dumber and dumber instead of more info it gave you less.
Old 08-31-18, 04:12 AM
sierrabob

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, take a look at this link and see if it applies to your watch:

​​​​​​https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...A1B73CB6E.html

It's a great feature. I would not give up on it just yet. It seems to be in all the Garmin smartwatch user manuals, even the Vivosmart 4.
Old 08-31-18, 05:01 AM
sierrabob

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As I think about this some more, I realize that the terms "rebroadcast" and "broadcast" aren't the same. The Vivoactive series does not receive a signal from a chest strap and rebroadcast to another device. However, according to my experience and the manuals, when properly setup, Vivoactive devices will broadcast the optical sensor hr value from the watch itself to compatible devices. I believe all you want is for the optical hr sensor to be picked up by the Wahoo Bolt. It should work.
Old 08-31-18, 02:22 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you I really appreciate the help I would love to try that but have already boxed it up to send it back. Again you help is very appreciated

Update a different tech answered my email and said the same thing you did about turning on the broadcast I’m going to open the box and he try!
Won't pair back up.....forget it I give up! uncle back in the box back it goes.

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 08-31-18 at 04:51 PM.