Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any guys here ride a women specific bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-03-18, 06:05 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Really? So looks has a lot to do with price? What if she thinks you are not so cute and decides to raise the price by $15? Would you still pay it?
Weinstein's philosophy on this could be interesting ... apparently he had a liking for bikes
Old 11-03-18, 07:05 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts

Unfortunately, at 6'5" I am too tall for most Woman specific bikes but I would love a bike that I didn't have to swing my leg over. I have restored a few Mixte frames and Think that they are one of the best looking bikes out there. If I find one of the large frame models I might just build one for myself some day.

If you have gender insecurity you can always take a few rattle cans to the frame and paint it camo or flat black Including the wheels and tires and ride it wearing old army fatigues. Muy Macho , No?

By the way, REAL men can wear pink and make it look sexy.

I see nothing girly about this bike .

Last edited by capnjonny; 11-03-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 07:22 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts

Nope.
I've sat on my wife's (Devinci MTB and Colnago Road) and they just don't feel right.....
Old 11-03-18, 08:09 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
One freind I had as a kid had a wsd mountain bike(late 90s huffy). Granted it was ferrari red, but for as many times as he would land jumps badly he always said it was better than a straight frame. When he got taller and switched to a 18" men's it was sorta proven a couple times, the hard way...
Old 11-03-18, 08:41 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Mixte Minivelo

I ride a mixte minivelo as my get-around-town café tourer.

Old 11-03-18, 10:45 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wife rides a WSD and loves it. I wouldn't mind riding it but the handle bars are really narrow for me and the cranks are fairly short. Cranks would be no problem but the narrow bars would. Easy fix!
Old 11-04-18, 04:12 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
One freind I had as a kid had a wsd mountain bike(late 90s huffy). Granted it was ferrari red, but for as many times as he would land jumps badly he always said it was better than a straight frame. When he got taller and switched to a 18" men's it was sorta proven a couple times, the hard way...
Ouch.. The tandem i'm currently building has 5ins of suspension travel front and rear, big wheels (well, 26 balloons) and the front seat tube is 19ins.
I've measured the top tube and measured my inside leg. There is no margin. None.
Old 11-04-18, 04:29 AM
dieth34

Bikes: LA Pro Spectrum 6061

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I drove a Women Specific Bike until a couple of weeks ago and nobody ever said anything to me about it
Old 11-04-18, 07:29 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I ride a Specialized Roll Step Through. I really love it.
Old 11-04-18, 07:44 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by dieth34
Well, I drove a Women Specific Bike until a couple of weeks ago and nobody ever said anything to me about it
Same with my wife's Amira. Unless one is versed in the upper Specialized WSD models, they would never know it was for a women. It's not a mixte frame, of course.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 11-04-18 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 11:18 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for a road bike, I don't care. whatever fits me best. as long as it's not pink.
Old 11-04-18, 11:26 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
aesthetic-> step-thru frame just looks wrong, whether man or woman riding. its like the builder forgot to weld the top tube.

practical-> step-thru is difficult to transport on a bike rack.
Old 11-04-18, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
vanity the problem?

But as 2 Young Men From Sweden proved, by riding a couple step thru

commuter bikes from Anchorage AK, to San Diego Cal, then to Miami Fla,

with a full touring load ,

It's a whole lot easier to mount and dismount the bikes,

with loads over both the wheels..

Old 11-04-18, 12:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

here is a step thru trike, with dad riding it..

Old 11-04-18, 01:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

About Pink

Originally Posted by xodondum
for a road bike, I don't care. whatever fits me best. as long as it's not pink.
Just dont win any GC days or the final Win , of the Giro d' Italia..

and you won't have the shame of the podium officials
putting the leader's jersey on you,
as that jersey is .... Pink..

Giuseppe Saronni

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-04-18 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 03:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
practical-> step-thru is difficult to transport on a bike rack.
I don't see the logic of choosing a bike for how it works or doesn't work when I am not riding it.

Further, there are racks which can carry just about anything ... you might have to work at it some but if you really needed to buy a bike not to ride, but to tote on your car, you could manage it. There are more rack designs that the two-arms-sticking-out kind.

But really ... that would be my last concern if it was ever a concern, which it never has been.

But hey ... we all differ.
Old 11-04-18, 04:08 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
If it's blue, isn't it a boy's bike?
Old 11-04-18, 04:45 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I started riding a Peugeot mixte last year, but the frame was just too small for me. I bought a large Public M8i in April, and I really like it. It's a nice riding bike.
Old 11-05-18, 09:39 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2016 Fuji Finest 1.1. Doesn't look too girly to me!
Old 11-05-18, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
If she's that cute, offer her $85 so she knows you like her. Go to $60 or $50, and it won't matter, she'll just think you're a cheap guy.

Crossing gender lines with bicycles is not a problem unless you try to take the bike into a bathroom in North Carolina.
Old 11-05-18, 02:59 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I've always thought that the step through frames were a better design for a man ever since I was acting a fool and my right foot slipped off the pedal with my weight on it,,,, I really didn't need a top tube that time ,,,,, I ride one ,,, it's part of my collection besides my four other manly bikes that I own.....
Old 11-05-18, 08:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Gender is just a silly construct of our society to further divide people. Who cares what binary bike you decide to ride if it fits and you like it ride it. The only people who really deeply care about gender are stuck in a closet about being transgender or gender queer or just not fitting into the binary spectrum or at the very least very confused about it. Love who you want to love (consensually) and be who you want to be and ride what you want to ride.

However if the bike is worth $75 pay the $75 if not then pass on it. Being stingy over such a small amount is silly. It is not like you are buying from a large money making corporation or a business that does really really well and isn't going to be hurting for money, it is a private seller and a neighbor. I generally like to do good by my neighbors unless they are bad people.
Old 11-05-18, 10:36 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I’ve spent some time riding a women’s specific bike. You should know it can cause some significant side effects. I became far more emotionally mature and intelligent. I smelled much better and developed an eye for tasteful fashion and color coordination. I routinely engaged in meaningful conversations with friends and colleagues about things other than bikes, sports and beer. It even had an effect on my palette as I developed a taste for foods not commonly found on a pub menu. I really liked that bike. I cried when I sold it.

-Kedosto
*tears of joy*
Old 11-06-18, 07:36 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I’ve spent some time riding a women’s specific bike. You should know it can cause some significant side effects. I became far more emotionally mature and intelligent. I smelled much better and developed an eye for tasteful fashion and color coordination. I routinely engaged in meaningful conversations with friends and colleagues about things other than bikes, sports and beer. It even had an effect on my palette as I developed a taste for foods not commonly found on a pub menu. I really liked that bike. I cried when I sold it.

-Kedosto
*tears of joy*
that's to bad,,,,, what are you gonna do with that closet full of shoes,,,,, lol
Old 11-06-18, 10:25 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
gender is just a silly construct of our society to further divide people. Who cares what binary bike you decide to ride if it fits and you like it ride it. The only people who really deeply care about gender are stuck in a closet about being transgender or gender queer or just not fitting into the binary spectrum or at the very least very confused about it. Love who you want to love (consensually) and be who you want to be and ride what you want to ride.

However if the bike is worth $75 pay the $75 if not then pass on it. Being stingy over such a small amount is silly. It is not like you are buying from a large money making corporation or a business that does really really well and isn't going to be hurting for money, it is a private seller and a neighbor. I generally like to do good by my neighbors unless they are bad people.
+100

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.