Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen Has Lost It

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen Has Lost It

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 02:44 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Grant Peterson in his usual Machiavellian way is trying to deceive us: Rivendell has a massive e-bike R&D effort underway and Grant is trying to keep it undercover by pretending he doesn't like e-bikes.

The Rivendell e-bike will have 3 top tubes that will house the batteries.
That would be funny. But it would not be surprising.
Old 12-02-18, 05:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"We" in this case would mean, "You and I."

Call me back when you learn basic English, maybe we can have a conversation.
I'm sorry, I thought you were the pretentious type of gasbag who would appoint himself to speak for the forum. I now see that you are the idiotic gasbag who thinks I should care what you deem worthy of discussion. I regret the error.

BTW, here is a link to the sort of bike you so stupidly accused me of imagining: https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/spicy-curry-bosch

Please note that when fully loaded, to its stated capacity, this almost 7 foot long ebike has a gross vehicle weight in excess of 500 pounds, inclusive of rider, bike and cargo.
What's starting to happen is that bikes like these are being used as commercial vehicles in large cities. I have no problem with that on the street and in bike lanes, but these things do not belong on a bike path.

Y'know, for someone who doesn't want to discuss stuff with me, you sure spend a lot of time overwriting cheap shots about my posts.
Old 12-02-18, 05:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Always love to see the e-bike haters that know almost nothing about them and have never actually ridden a good one, it always makes a good chuckle. I understand the hatred of throttles but this is a bike forum not a motorcycle forum so that makes total sense but a bike you have to pedal in order to move forward is why we are all here (or at least most of us) so hating on another option in the bicycle category is silly. It is the same dumb stuff with "road bikers and mountain bikers where a fake division has been created and lines of hate have been drawn in some cases. The more people riding bikes the better this world might be. The only reason to care if they have a motor to assist them is if you are racing against those who don't have assistance. Beyond that who the heck cares, ride your bike and enjoy life.

If you really need something to hate go after the e-scooters or the gas burning cars or hate on those who hate bikes completely. Or if you want something silly Shimango's vs. ScRAM's vs. Campanoglios is always easy or
I actually love the fact that there are ebikes as I think it will replace some car usage. I have no interest in them personally as I love being the motor. My only concern with classifying them is concern over safety issues where the two types of cycling are likely to interface.

I haven't seen any real safety issues with regular sized ebikes on bike paths, but I really don't know what is going to happen as the oversize cargo bikes get more common.

I do have to stifle a twinge of hurt pride when I get passed by an ebike, but I know that is irrational and I get over it in a second.

I don't think one has to be any kind of hater to recognize that they are somewhat different types of machines, but I really have no patience with people who would put someone down for using an ebike.
Old 12-02-18, 06:06 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Our group rides with a 75? year old e-bike user. He's first up our 3 mile torture hill and times the rest of us. I think e-bikes are a great thing to get more folks out to exercise and extend outdoor activy for the less fit among us. At 66 years old myself I might need to go e-bike sometime in my future, however the day I do this is the day I stop calling myself a cyclist.......
We have e-bike users in my group rides. It all works out just fine, Frankly, all e-bikes accomplish is allowing riders that can't produce the wattage to hang with gang and not get dropped, especially on hilly routes.

For those that think you don't get a work-out riding a pedal assist e-bike, well, you just don't know what you are talking about.

Note - I don't ride an e-bike.
Old 12-02-18, 06:28 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The only reason to care if they have a motor to assist them is if you are racing against those who don't have assistance.
No, this is false.

Many people care that electric motor bicycles have a motor due to trail access issues. After spending decades separating ourselves from motor sports folks, because we are human powered, the negative affect of e motor bikes on access is a real concern.

That has had nothing to do with racing some punter on an electric motor bicycle.
Old 12-02-18, 07:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm sorry, I thought you were the pretentious type of gasbag who would appoint himself to speak for the forum. I now see that you are the idiotic gasbag who thinks I should care what you deem worthy of discussion. I regret the error.
You have much to regret .... your lack of reading comprehension, I am sure, is the least egregious failing ....

What i said, which people who want to understand would simply understand, but which you refuse to understand, because you want to wave your e-peen ... is that I refused to discuss with You the topic I said I refused to discuss. You can discuss anything you want .. but not with me,

Call me back when you have grown up some ... maybe we can try again.
Old 12-02-18, 07:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
Many people care that electric motor bicycles have a motor due to trail access issues. After spending decades separating ourselves from motor sports folks, because we are human powered, the negative affect of e motor bikes on access is a real concern.
This^^^

I do not think this can be overstated.

If we ever get to the point that the default definition of “bicycle” (for trail access) means it can have a motor, trail access becomes a whole lot harder. And if you do get it, good luck explaining to other power sport users why they are not allowed.

I have always held out hope for some mtb access in Wilderness Areas in my lifetime. I think eBikes could kill that, especially with bike companies pushing the eMTBs.

I am all for ebikes on the road and as effective transportation alternatives. But I have big misgivings about them in regards to the sport of mountain biking.

I think it is imperitive that eBikes are NOT considered bicycles for access issues. If a land manager wants to allow eBikes on trails, that is fine, but that decision should ideally be made separately from whether bicycles are.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-02-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 07:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
You have much to regret .... your lack of reading comprehension, I am sure, is the least egregious failing ....

What i said, which people who want to understand would simply understand, but which you refuse to understand, because you want to wave your e-peen ... is that I refused to discuss with You the topic I said I refused to discuss. You can discuss anything you want .. but not with me,

Call me back when you have grown up some ... maybe we can try again.
I have no desire to speak with you again, Mr. Putz. Somewhere about a month ago, you became a rather bad parody of yourself.
Old 12-02-18, 08:48 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yesterday (sunday) i had my 7yo daughter on the back of my e-bike (it has a pillion seat) and we were out all day. We spent a good 3-4hrs in the saddle, touring around town a few times. The laden kerbweight was touching 300 lbs.

When i got home in the evening, i still had half battery left. How? Regeneration. I spent half that cycling time putting electricity back into my batteries, not taking it out.

It seems there are still a lot of cyclists who are choosing to ignore the concept of using a device to extract velocity from no unsustainable power source. No oil, no nuclear, off-grid. And that seems odd. I wonder what they think of solar powered trikes? (i also have one of these, though it's largely a failure here in England)..

Admittedly i do still need the mains electricity with her on the back, but on my own i can ride infinitely with hill assistance. I'm getting that electricity from sources cyclists usually waste - when they're braking, or rolling without turning the pedals. My pedals are always turning. I'm cycling, i just manage my energy better.

I'm disappointed in the booming industry for shunning this as much as it seems to be doing. Regeneration should be a high-profile principal in e-bike riding, but it remains a sheltered strength. Maybe it's just not widely considered a strong motivational aspect, maybe it aggravates the petroleum/power industries too much.. who knows. But there are certainly some people on this site who should be waking up to it.
Old 12-02-18, 09:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Always love to see the e-bike haters that know almost nothing about them and have never actually ridden a good one, it always makes a good chuckle. I understand the hatred of throttles but this is a bike forum not a motorcycle forum so that makes total sense but a bike you have to pedal in order to move forward is why we are all here (or at least most of us) so hating on another option in the bicycle category is silly. It is the same dumb stuff with "road bikers and mountain bikers where a fake division has been created and lines of hate have been drawn in some cases. The more people riding bikes the better this world might be. The only reason to care if they have a motor to assist them is if you are racing against those who don't have assistance. Beyond that who the heck cares, ride your bike and enjoy life.

If you really need something to hate go after the e-scooters or the gas burning cars or hate on those who hate bikes completely. Or if you want something silly Shimango's vs. ScRAM's vs. Campanoglios is always easy or
I don't hate e-bikes because I don't hate motorcycles, in fact I love them. I just think e-bikes are not bicycles (yes, I know they have 2 wheels).
And ****.
Old 12-02-18, 09:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
It's been grand but all things must come to an end.