Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your "I should have known this" story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your "I should have known this" story

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 10:13 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've done so much dumb crap with bikes through the years Two particular low lights::
- didn't properly tighten a square-taper crank arm because I didn't want to "deform the socket" on the crank arm. Result: it came loose in a race and... destroyed the socket. Needed a new crankarm, race over. WTF was I thinking?
- discovered that Dremels are a bad way to clear corrosion in a BB shell. Frame ruined in less than three seconds. It turns out aluminum threads are very easy to destroy.
Old 12-10-18, 11:54 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
When I was 12, I had a Schwinn Predator with a VERY noisy rear brake. I had no idea how to adjust, so I sprayed the whole thing down with wd40. I took the bike out for a ride, and I swear it accelerated when I applied that brake. I forget how I cleaned the rim, but I'm pretty sure I just replaced the pads.

I was a bad, bad mechanic as a child
Old 12-10-18, 03:56 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I installed a new chain and cassette on my Roubaix, and just couldn't get the chain chatter to quiet down. Lube, barrell adjust, nothing worked. I even loaned the bike to an out of town visitor, hoping he would want to buy it. I began to hate that bike. Following a 50 mile ride in pouring rain, I was checking things over, cleaning and re-lubing everything. I saw that I had routed the chain on the outside of some kind of guard tab on the cage next to the jockey wheel. It was intermittent, depending on cage rotation. The really dumb part of this is that it was my second time to make this mistake... on another bike. All quiet now, and the bike is a pleasure to ride again.
I did this same exact thing last week! Cleaned the dry lube & gunk from chain and applied wet winter lube. Did it late at night for the commute next morning. Barely out the door, I hear 'click click click'. It was 25F outside and yet I took the damn chain apart with my bare hands to rethread it. A clean drivetrain MUST BE SILENT!

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've done so much dumb crap with bikes through the years Two particular low lights::
- discovered that Dremels are a bad way to clear corrosion in a BB shell. Frame ruined in less than three seconds. It turns out aluminum threads are very easy to destroy.
You weren't using the brass wire wheel, I'm guessing?

Originally Posted by growlerdinky
When I was 12, I had a Schwinn Predator with a VERY noisy rear brake. I had no idea how to adjust, so I sprayed the whole thing down with wd40. I took the bike out for a ride, and I swear it accelerated when I applied that brake. I forget how I cleaned the rim, but I'm pretty sure I just replaced the pads.

I was a bad, bad mechanic as a child
​​​​​​​Yeah, but your rear brake stopped making noise, didn't it?
Old 12-10-18, 05:43 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
More than once, I've had problems with derailleur adjustment on one of my newer bikes until I remember that cables running under the BB are dragging on my craptastic, X frame, Minoura repair stand. Perhaps Santa will help me out this year. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2096.jpg (940.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-10-18, 06:12 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Trying to remove a square taper crank with the washer still on the end of the BB spindle (it didn't come out with the crank bolt). I'm lucky I didn't pull the threads out of the crank.

Breaking a drive side pedal loose without having the chain up on the largest ring because I was "in a hurry". Note to self, it takes less time to put the chain on the big ring than it does to clean and dress a gash from the teeth.
I did the same thing. Got 8 stitches.
Old 12-13-18, 01:08 PM
dashdotrobot

Bikes: Velo-Orange Campeur, Dahon Helios P8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I knew what the top cap on a threadless stem was for, I tried over-tightening it to prevent the handlebars from turning relative to the fork. The stem kept slipping while riding, and I kept making tighter and tighter until the bolt pulled through the cap! I never thought to check if the stem bolts were loose!

I took it to the local non-profit bike shop, they showed me how to fix it, and I started volunteering there within the week. 5 years later, here we are!
Old 12-13-18, 01:50 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I was touring across the country I got lost and realized I should have known to take that left turn at Albuquerque.

And with that, I have reached 20,000 posts. to me!
I think it's time for you to turn bugs bunny loose,,,, but congratulations on all your Posts.....