Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My wife's the best

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My wife's the best

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 07:22 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
My wife's the best

I generally get a bit of a bonus in July and this year I thought I'd talk to 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' about getting myself a really decent front light with some of that. However, I noticed this morning that Chain Reaction Cycles had a really good price on the Exposure Strada RS light so I dashed off a quick email to her saying pretty please could I have one. And she said yes! So the self-present fairy will be dropping one of those through my letter box in a few days.

My wife is very good like that - complete turn-around from my first marriage. I'm careful not to take advantage but I was pretty impressed when she gave the green light for a new bike last year. Mind you, it's predecessor was a 1993 frame with lots of bits wearing out so I've not been over extravagant.
Old 03-01-19, 09:22 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
You are a lucky man. You owe that excellent woman a romantic, candle lit supper at a three star restaurant.
Old 03-01-19, 10:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
yeah, she is!

keep us in the loop as you start using it! over in the Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets subforum
Old 03-01-19, 11:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Don't worry, next year she'll want a new kitchen and you can keep your light
Old 03-01-19, 12:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Old 03-01-19, 12:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The multitudes that you piss off with that excessively bright light will wish

she had gone the other way.
Old 03-01-19, 12:28 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

My wife is not a cyclist and would totally agree with you. The other day she was blinded by the front blinking blind light at midday, for several minutes, waiting for a traffic light to change. She found it infuriating and she thinks it gives cyclists a bad name. LEDs have done us in. She says a bumper sticker should be made to say: Friends don't let friends bike with blinking front lights
Old 03-01-19, 12:46 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

Are you sure about that? It seems that maybe they have designed it to reduce blinding others.

Tailored for tarmac, the Strada sets the pace for any road ride. Its bespoke lenses precisely shine 1200 Lumens in an optimised wide and flat beam pattern to light the road and give exceptional side visibility while avoiding dazzling oncoming road users.
Road Specific Beam: Car like high and dipped beam patterns perfect for lighting the road for full speed riding while not overpowering other road users.
I know there are some cheap high powered headlights and flashlights used on bikes that feature zero anti-blinding technology. Maybe you are thinking of them?
Old 03-01-19, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
When it comes to finances, I answer only to my cat. As long as he gets enough food, toys, litter, heat and a.c., he doesn't care where the rest of my money goes.
Old 03-01-19, 01:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Are you sure about that? It seems that maybe they have designed it to reduce blinding others.

I know there are some cheap high powered headlights and flashlights used on bikes that feature zero anti-blinding technology. Maybe you are thinking of them?

From the comments to a youtube video review of a less-bright model of this light:

"on high this is so bright that british police have asked me if i can turn the brightness down !"
Old 03-01-19, 01:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Just tip the light downward so it isn't hitting the oncoming driver in the eyes.

People over-exaggerate how problematic this is.
Old 03-01-19, 01:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

From the comments to a youtube video review of a less-bright model of this light:

"on high this is so bright that british police have asked me if i can turn the brightness down !"
On High? The light in question has both high and low beams. If one runs their car headlights on high it too will blind oncoming traffic. I would expect the same on a good bike light.
Old 03-01-19, 01:34 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Thanks for posting this @jgwilliams. Now I may need to to get one of these lights. I like the remote switch feature, allowing you to mount it near the brake lever enabling quick and easy switching between modes without moving your hands.

Oh, and your wife sounds very cool, @jgwilliams, give her a kiss!
Old 03-01-19, 01:48 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Oh boy! This thread is so sappy I need to blow my nose with pancakes!
Old 03-01-19, 03:22 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I generally get a bit of a bonus in July and this year I thought I'd talk to 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' about getting myself a really decent front light with some of that. However, I noticed this morning that Chain Reaction Cycles had a really good price on the Exposure Strada RS light so I dashed off a quick email to her saying pretty please could I have one. And she said yes! So the self-present fairy will be dropping one of those through my letter box in a few days.

My wife is very good like that - complete turn-around from my first marriage. I'm careful not to take advantage but I was pretty impressed when she gave the green light for a new bike last year. Mind you, it's predecessor was a 1993 frame with lots of bits wearing out so I've not been over extravagant.
did she tell you to write that,,,,, did she tell you to write that on here , that she's the best or did you come up with that all by yourself,,,,
Old 03-01-19, 03:50 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Actually, my wife is the best. But, your wife does sound quite nice
Old 03-02-19, 04:51 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Good grief! There's always someone ready to rain on your parade, isn't there?

I had several reasons for wanting to get a really good quality light and one of them was putting the light where you actually want it rather than giving equal emphasis on granny hedgehogs and low-flying aircraft. If you check out this review on Road CC you'll see that's one of the things they checked out:

'The beam, as you can see from our comparison engine above, isn't completely cut off like a car's dipped beam, and angled at a few degrees below horizontal it caused no issues with disgruntled drivers, and that is over hundreds of miles of riding on main routes and country lanes.'

So I think I'll take that as gospel over a random comment on YouTube.
Old 03-02-19, 06:12 AM
stasher1

Bikes: 97 Gary Fisher Wahoo SS conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife an I will discuss larger purchases (vehicles, appliances, etc) but as long as our purchases are "reasonable", neither of us has ever felt the need to ask (or beg) the other for permission to buy something we want/need.

Whatever works for you, though.

​​​​​​
Old 03-04-19, 02:54 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by stasher1
The wife an I will discuss larger purchases (vehicles, appliances, etc) but as long as our purchases are "reasonable", neither of us has ever felt the need to ask (or beg) the other for permission to buy something we want/need.​​​​​​
We simply have very little disposable income. My cycling does actually save us a mint of money in the long run as otherwise I'd be paying out every day for train tickets. I guess we have the same system, it's just that our definintion of 'larger purchases' begins much nearer the lower end of the price scale than yours. I wouldn't talk to her about, say, a DVD or a book purchase but £160 for a light definitely qualifies as larger in our household.