Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bike touring lighting system

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage bike touring lighting system

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 03:37 PM
tacreamer
Go Ride

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Random Tandem
Sure, but the Miyata 1000 is timeless, and you have Suntour Symetric shifters for bonus points. Lovely bike.

-Will
Thank you Will, she’s a mix of old & new!
Old 04-30-19, 05:08 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tacreamer
I just outfitted my 1984 Miyata 1000 with a SON dynamo light setup, I believe it looks classy on this bike!

1984 Miyata 1000 with SON dynamo light system

I have an 82 1000 exactly like yours minus two bottle mounts (it has one adapter). Seeing yours literally made me see what mine would look like had I done the same modifications. Thank you.
Old 04-30-19, 05:43 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Gugie's cheap and dirty hub generator review:

Cheap, works well, highest drag: Sanyo, about $50. You can find an entire front wheel sometimes for around $100. I've seen Shimano hubs for around that price.
Best value, works well, low drag: Shutter Precision (SP) around $135 for hub alone
Bestest, works well, best built, when you don't want the stigma of low price: SON, around $200.
I second all of this. I have a sanyo/panasonic that works great. Have had several low end shimanoa that do as well. My favorite is th shutter precision. Very light and easy rolling. Honestly though i dont notice any of them while riding.
Old 04-30-19, 05:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

This will work very well.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292390566938
Old 04-30-19, 05:50 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

These light ur way plenty fine if you're going 15 mph or less. I use them a lot on 2 bikes.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323767264765
Old 04-30-19, 08:07 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
you have some options here. I'd like to add to them - another option is to set your bike on fire. People will see you, and get our of your way. Downside of that is you might get burned, and depending on how long you let it burn you might only be able to do this once or twice.

Failing that, for me, lights fall into two categories. Lights to be seen, and lights to see.

If you just want to be seen, then you can get away with crappier lights, and possibly even a vintage solution if thats important to you. If you're crafty people have retrofitted LED lights to vintage looking housings. I'm ok with some vintage looking solutions if you want want to give cars some indication that you're there so they don't kill you.

If you want to actually see better, forget all that vintage noise and get something that puts out some major lumens. Do you need to move it from bike to bike? Are your pockets deep? Do you also want to be able to charge your phone while riding and seeing? These are all things to consider.

Decide what your most important requirements are and go from there. Failing that, consider the setting your bike on fire alternative.

Last edited by -holiday76; 04-30-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 11:46 PM
BikeWonder

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
you have some options here. I'd like to add to them - another option is to set your bike on fire. People will see you, and get our of your way. Downside of that is you might get burned, and depending on how long you let it burn you might only be able to do this once or twice.

Failing that, for me, lights fall into two categories. Lights to be seen, and lights to see.

If you just want to be seen, then you can get away with crappier lights, and possibly even a vintage solution if thats important to you. If you're crafty people have retrofitted LED lights to vintage looking housings. I'm ok with some vintage looking solutions if you want want to give cars some indication that you're there so they don't kill you.

If you want to actually see better, forget all that vintage noise and get something that puts out some major lumens. Do you need to move it from bike to bike? Are your pockets deep? Do you also want to be able to charge your phone while riding and seeing? These are all things to consider.

Decide what your most important requirements are and go from there. Failing that, consider the setting your bike on fire alternative.
I've already began clearing out my garage for what I need and don't need. Any spare parts will be sold and the extra money will go towards a SON dynamo hub. Which one specifically is to be decided, but it helps me make space for something more important.
Old 05-01-19, 07:50 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
What you're describing sounds a bit like Reelights.

They're very commonly used in Denmark; they have the advantage of being cheaper than a generator hub and more reliable in the rain than a bottle generator. I'm not sure whether they'd be bright enough for North American conditions, though.

I'll second the suggestion that you get a generator hub -- it's often possible to get a built-up wheel for about $100, and then you'll never have to think about your lights again.
Wow, those Reelights seem really cool!
Old 05-01-19, 09:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I guess I'm wondering, do touring bikes really need lights? ...
If all goes as planned, and you always reach your desired overnight spot before dark and you have all your shopping done by then, no, you don't need lights.

My experience with bike tourists, both when I'm the tourist and when I'm hosting them via Warmshowers, is that touring cyclists are often out riding past dark. It's never in the plan, but you know, things happen. That's what touring is all about.

The only way is I'd be out on tour without working dynamo lights is if my dynamo lights failed on me.

Re Reelights, I have a set I bought ten years ago, as well as cheaper Chinese ones bought more recently. Based on my experience, I cannot recommend them.
Old 05-01-19, 09:52 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
do touring bikes really need lights?
In diminishing likelihood: tunnels, solar eclipse and the Krakatoa eruption. Best practice would be to have some battery lights for when things do not go as expected. I found for a tour in Cuba when I was arriving at twilight and needed to ride to the hotel from the airport that a bright light that attached to my helmet was best for allowing me to see the road as I could easily turn my head to keep it on the upcoming road, but I did not need lights for the balance of the tour so batteries were ideal.

-Will
Old 05-01-19, 11:03 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
If all goes as planned, and you always reach your desired overnight spot before dark and you have all your shopping done by then, no, you don't need lights.

My experience with bike tourists, both when I'm the tourist and when I'm hosting them via Warmshowers, is that touring cyclists are often out riding past dark. It's never in the plan, but you know, things happen. That's what touring is all about.

The only way is I'd be out on tour without working dynamo lights is if my dynamo lights failed on me.

Re Reelights, I have a set I bought ten years ago, as well as cheaper Chinese ones bought more recently. Based on my experience, I cannot recommend them.

Good points. Come to think about it, that's happened to me once or twice. It may also depend on where you are riding. I'm probably stuck in the past WRT population density and traffic. In a time and place where you might have seen one car in an hour, you could be a bit more slack about lighting.

I do remember touring circa 1984, which seems to be the approximate vintage of the bike in question. Generator systems (Union or Soubitez) were not a viable alternative at the time, since they wouldn't work with reasonably light tires. If you were really fancy you might have had one of those newfangled Sanyo BB generators. Even if you had one, you still needed a battery light for when you weren't moving, or not moving fast enough. I made do with the latest high tech of the time, a Cateye halogen (!) battery light. I might still have it somewhere. This was the common practice then and really there weren't a lot of other choices. Pack a spare set of C cells, and pick up more if you ran out.

At any rate no need to suffer with the terrible lighting of the past just to be period correct. A modern dynohub system has many advantages.
Old 05-01-19, 11:29 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
For vintage correctness a carbide lamp will throw a lot of light. It does seem odd to ride around with something that could genuinely explode on your handlebars, but think of all the miners who strapped them to their heads.

Lucas King of the Road headlamps had such a huge reflector they threw a lot of light. Bulky and heavy. Good lights.

The vintage correct part that will not come back is the quiet country lane where an incandescent bulb and a Miller or Soubitez bottle dynamo was enough. When the moon was out why bother with lighting?
Old 05-01-19, 01:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Lucas King of the Road headlamps had such a huge reflector they threw a lot of light. Bulky and heavy. Good lights.
Requires a seat-bag-sized travel jar of electrical smoke.....
Old 05-01-19, 03:17 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by 63rickert
For vintage correctness a carbide lamp will throw a lot of light. It does seem odd to ride around with something that could genuinely explode on your handlebars, but think of all the miners who strapped them to their heads.
Juuuuust posted - https://madison.craigslist.org/bop/d...879063588.html
Old 05-01-19, 03:38 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
It definitely has that vintage "look", huh? 😁 If I were loaded, I might get it, then modify it, but that just sounds disrespectful to the light, now that I typed it. 🤔 😉
Old 05-01-19, 04:40 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^^ Next invention idea - eBay/CL - breathalyzer interlock.....
Old 05-01-19, 04:56 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Lighting aesthetics have always been a C&V sticking point for me. Great info in this thread on some keen and not-hideous products I'd never heard of before.
Old 05-01-19, 07:34 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I guess I'll start saving up for the hub dynamo. I'm a student at the moment so my budget is fairly tight. I'll have to sell some bikes to make the purchase since I'm working on two projects for touring/randonneuring.
I'm kind of a light nerd - I have several hub dynamos, and a whole box full of various lithium ion rechargable front and rear lights. While a hub dynamo is the best setup from an ease of use / quality of light point of view, even the cheap ones aren't very cheap when you factor in the dynamo headlight and getting it laced into a wheel. If money is tight, just buy 2 or 3 Cygolight rechargable headlights. 600-800 lumens go for about $50 on eBay, and produce either tons of light for about 1 - 1.5 hours, or plenty of light for ~6 hours. Two don't weigh very much, and would be more than enough for anything short of planning to ride through a full night. (And would work for that if you use one of the lower power ~100 lumen modes.)

Just a thought. They're more hassle than a dynamo setup, but world's better than anything you could buy in the 80s.