Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 05-30-19, 01:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
@robertorolfo, my be-fendered bike has a broken rim. Too bad, as I just installed the fenders, finally, and they're terrific. I'm going to build a new wheel before long.

And thank you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-30-19, 01:58 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@robertorolfo, my be-fendered bike has a broken rim. Too bad, as I just installed the fenders, finally, and they're terrific.
Ahhh, so you are the one to blame for all of this rain we've been having...
Old 05-31-19, 05:52 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Had a nice ride in this morning and saw 3 others out there bike commuting as well. The first guy I ran into about 2 miles into my ride going the opposite direction, the second one about a mile later was coming out of a neighborhood and he passed me a little later. The third was a maintenance man riding what I assume was his kids mountain bike to his office park next to mine. That is the most I've seen on my morning commute. Occasionally I'll see one or two others. A few more runners out there this morning as well. Nice weather finally is coming to the Midwest.

Construction season starts in earnest next Monday around here so I'll have to see how that impacts my route. Last year it was so bad it ended my season sooner because I just didn't have any safe way's around the construction. This year I only know of one section that I think could impact me and I don't know when they are starting it. I might need to scout a few options this weekend. With what they did last year I think they may have installed some new MUP's where old sidewalks were that I can use.
Old 05-31-19, 06:46 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
A non attentive drive nearly ran me over after running through a stop sing this morning (he was on the smaller cross street and rolled right into the bigger road I was on)

Almost t boned me....hit the brakes with make a foot to spare before plowing me.

Then he had the audacity to roll the window down and scream at me

For a second I thought he was going to apologize for nearly killing me. Nope. A stream of profanity about how I had no business being in the road and needed to use hand signals so he'd know what I was doing (does anyone know the hand signal for "I'm continuing to go straight"?)

I did not handle this with grace and decorum. I got off the bike and invited him to come discuss the matter on the side of the road. He no longer cared to debate and drove off like a crazy person. He nearly hit another car that was trying to go around him in the process. That is probably for the best. I was not in a rational and forgiving state of mind after nearly being run over broadside.

On the plus side...the weather was GORGEOUS this morning. 75 degrees. Low humidity. WONDERFUL morning for a ride! I really needed that after 2 days of rain.
Old 05-31-19, 08:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
@Skipjacks, no business being in the road, huh? Wow.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-19, 08:03 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by noglider
@Skipjacks, no business being in the road, huh? Wow.
Apparently the stop sign he rolled through had no business being there either
Old 05-31-19, 09:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I got lucky last night! I was pre-approved (by She Who Must Be Obeyed) for the group ride after work, but when I was headed over to meet them, I looked up and thought it might be better to head home before the dark clouds coming in decided to unload. Made it home safe and dry, had dinner, and my lovely wife looked outside and said, "It's raining!" If I'd joined the group I'd have been 5 miles from home when the heavens opened.

The lawn needed the rain.

This morning, it was nice and cool. 69 or 70 degrees doesn't sound like it's that different from 78, but it makes a world of difference when I'm riding.
Old 05-31-19, 10:54 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Got caught in a downpour for the third straight night last night, but at least it wasn't dark yet and I could navigate the potholes/puddles a little better.

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I did not handle this with grace and decorum...
I think having your life threatened (because that is what we are talking about in situations like this) is already enough to bring most people to the boiling point, and then a driver that will not recognize their mistake just makes it even worse. The problem is that most people that haven't ridden a bike or motorcycle usually can't comprehend why these situations create such an instinctual and adrenaline fueled anger.
Old 05-31-19, 02:28 PM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Woke up to 36 degrees. Warm clothes came back out. Was overdressed by the time I made it in. Nice to have a few days of sunshine for a change. Noticed this morning the swan was off her nest. saw her mate but not her so she was probably hiding in the cattails. The last few days I've detoured on my way home to run some extra gravel miles along a river. The city has it gated off still so there's no traffic. The geese have been enjoying it too. Went by a pair with goslings heading into the river when the gander turned, hissed and started chasing me. Wasn't too concerned until he started flying and kept coming. Before he got to me he gave up. The extra miles has been nice but legs are getting a bit tired so I'll see how it goes and decide at the turnoff if I take the regular route or hit the river again.
Old 05-31-19, 03:05 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I think having your life threatened (because that is what we are talking about in situations like this) is already enough to bring most people to the boiling point, and then a driver that will not recognize their mistake just makes it even worse. The problem is that most people that haven't ridden a bike or motorcycle usually can't comprehend why these situations create such an instinctual and adrenaline fueled anger.
Today wasn't the first time I've nearly been hit. A guy almost ran me over last winter. I was just as enraged. He was 100% wrong. I was more than happy to tell him how wrong he was in the loudest possible way when he rolled down the window and admitted total fault and apologized. He asked me if I was okay and I could tell he genuinely felt horrible for scaring the crap out of me.

My anger instantly went away. I mean we all make mistakes.

I told the guy it was cool and asked him to just be careful and pay more attention. He apologized again and all was good.

I've been on the other side of it too, where I'm the one who did something dumb that nearly got myself killed by a driver who was doing the right thing and screamed and hollered at me for nearly causing them to run me over. (In a parking lot with multiple entrances that all converge. I didn't look both ways before merging. Nearly biked myself right under a sedan) All I could do was say "You are absolutely right. I did a dummy. I'm sorry to have freaked you out." And again...all was right with the universe.

But this guy this morning....nearly runs me over driving like a jackass then gets mad at me for it.

I was ready to dance. He made the right call to not get out of that car and just drive away instead. Not sure who'd have been more wrong legally but I didn't really care in the moment.
Old 05-31-19, 05:24 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Today wasn't the first time I've nearly been hit. A guy almost ran me over last winter. I was just as enraged. He was 100% wrong. I was more than happy to tell him how wrong he was in the loudest possible way when he rolled down the window and admitted total fault and apologized. He asked me if I was okay and I could tell he genuinely felt horrible for scaring the crap out of me.
My anger instantly went away. I mean we all make mistakes.
I told the guy it was cool and asked him to just be careful and pay more attention. He apologized again and all was good...
Yes, I think it's just a natural human reaction in situations where your physical well being is threatened.

But, as you said, if someone is immediately apologetic, it does wonders to calm you down. Indeed we have all made mistakes, but only some people are willing to be mature and admit them.
Old 06-02-19, 10:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Today I sold the red Cannondale cyclocross bike that I'd built up for commuting four years ago. The winnings go in my new-bike nest egg.... Sad to see it leave since it was a project I enjoyed. But it was an L when I'm a M, level top tube and big tires and high cyclocross-style BB making the standover a pretty near thing. It was from the end of the era when they were making frames stiff as possible, and I'm looking forward to trying something more modern next time. The proceeds will join the funds from my trike when I sell it at the end of summer. Not decided yet if I'll get a new roadie bike then or save the dollars another year for my planned MTB tandem.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-03-19, 05:00 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
The commute was very pleasant this am. It was in the mid-fifties for temp and partly sunny. It had rained heavy last night so the roads were wet. Other than that it feels so good to be able to ride again.
Old 06-03-19, 06:26 AM
beachball42

The weather in my area can't seem to make up its mind, 49 degrees when I rode in this morning versus last Friday when it was 68 when I rode. First day of no school for the kids so the cars along my route were a lot less which was nice. Only saw one other bike commuter as he buzzed by me on his e-bike other than him just a few runners so a pretty quiet day riding in.
Old 06-03-19, 08:47 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Pleasantly surprised to see a balmy 46 this morning. Was expecting upper 30's. Light overcast and calm to start with unforecasted rain the last couple miles. Cruising down the gravel I spotted a doe and fawn stepping off the road into a hay field. They stopped and stared so while a ways off I whistled and she took off back down the road. I slowed to a crawl and watched her run, then stop in the road. Talked to her and she took off down the road before jumping the ditch into a hay next to a wood line. The little fawn was booking it trying to keep up. Once off the road I took off again, by the time I reached their exit point she was a long way off. Looked like a young doe so guessing this is her first fawn so hoping she figures things out. The swan was back on the nest again. Not sure what's up there. Should be mid 50's with a cold breeze off Lake Superior for the ride home. Will detour through the municipal forest along the river and hope the geese are clear and not have one come after me again.
Old 06-03-19, 09:50 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
First bike commute in a couple of weeks. Felt a little winded on the climbs, but made it okay.

On Saturday, my youngest daughter turned 6. The next day, she taught herself how to ride a bike. I've been trying to teach her for a little while now, but yesterday, something clicked and she figured the rest out on her own. I'm so proud of her.
Old 06-03-19, 11:37 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i was off Thursday and Friday so I only had 37 miles this past week. probably one of the lightest weeks in a long while. Rode this morning and saw 59F on the Garmin. It was brisk on the way in.
Old 06-03-19, 11:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

My wife bought me a knockoff GoPro for my birthday. I have taken a few videos including this morning's commute. But figuring out how to somehow dump it un-edited onto YouTube through my phone doesn't seem like a winner. Need to get it onto my PC and learn some basic editing. I'd never have gotten one for myself but now that I've got it I'm really eager to play with it... which makes it a good gift!
Old 06-04-19, 05:04 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
A very pleasant commute in this am with the temp at 45 f degrees, but no rain so its all good. With flowers and shrubs blooming my head should be on a swivel so I can enjoy the scenery as I ride.
Old 06-04-19, 06:22 AM
beachball42

Much nicer ride this morning with the temps in the low 60's versus the 49 degree ride yesterday. Nice surprise on one section of my trail, must have been some kids doing some backyard camping and the smell of a nice campfire filled the air. Love the smell of a nice campfire. Did have one lady this morning who stopped her car blocking the crosswalk which in my area isn't the usual. People when the see a rider coming normally stop short of the crosswalk where the stop sign actually is or just past the crosswalk where there is room for one car to wait to turn on the main street and not be blocking the MUP. For some reason she felt the need to stop dead center of the crosswalk. Just scooted around the front of her as that was the only option for me to get by and jump the curb.
Old 06-04-19, 06:38 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
First ride to work after being off last week and driving yesterday. Nice 62F and low humidity for about 15 miles. Though I was getting a bit hungry near the end.
Old 06-04-19, 07:48 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I rode the long way home yesterday. A little gravel in the middle of my ride. I came home and asked me son to ride the neighborhood. we rode over 3 miles together.

I saw a low of 53F this morning. It was chilly but felt great for June 4th.
Old 06-04-19, 08:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

First knockoff Go Pro video of yesterday's ride in. You don't have to watch it... Clearly my editing is still not nearly ruthless enough, this could be 3/4 the length with the same content. Need a better video editor, the one with Windows is clunky. I have not tried any stabilization... not sure if it would have helped on the bridge though. Video starts at home and ends when I have to turn off the camera to enter work. It's also been really clunky uploading to YouTube. More to learn...

Old 06-04-19, 09:04 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Though I was getting a bit hungry near the end.
Same here. What's with that? I had a good breakfast.

Nice calm, cool, morning. Rode fixed. Twice I forgot I was riding fixed and tried to coast. Doesn't work.
Old 06-04-19, 10:03 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, It's been a long time since I posted my morning commute on this nice forum. I recognized and remembered a few of you,. Life as been full of surprise in the last 2 years but the god news is that I'm able to enjoy a daily bike commute everyday again for the last few weeks and, hopefully, for years to come!

My daily commute is a 13 miles R/T in La Prairie and Brossard, just south of Montreal. It's nice but it's noisy and dusty compared to my old commute route in the country side.

Have a nice day everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.