Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Well, it finally happened...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Well, it finally happened...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 06:37 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
haven't read thread but fork seems bent?

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 06-20-19, 06:45 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
The provenance of the bike notwithstanding, it's all speculation, in both camps, without removing the fork and inspecting it. It would be best to have a good frame shop measure it, OFF the bike.
Old 06-20-19, 06:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
The provenance of the bike notwithstanding, it's all speculation, in both camps, without removing the fork and inspecting it. It would be best to have a good frame shop measure it, OFF the bike.
Wouldn't that be speculation too?

If the frame shop doesn't have the factory dimensions for the fork (assuming that visual inspection is irrelevant), any judgement call on the fork would be as much of a guess as any other guess in this thread.

-Kurt

Old 06-20-19, 07:29 PM
madpogue 

If the shop doesn't have dimension info on something as common (historically) as a '90s Giant Iguana, then they're not a "good frame shop".
Old 06-20-19, 09:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

If the shop doesn't have dimension info on something as common (historically) as a '90s Giant Iguana, then they're not a "good frame shop".
It's hard enough to find fork rake specifications for brand new bikes, much less a hybrid/MTB made in the 1990's. Where would they get such data? Genuinely curious. I can't even find anything other than a Dutch 1991 catalog and the '91 Cadex (carbon) catalog.

-Kurt

Old 06-20-19, 11:06 PM
madpogue 

A shop that's been around long enough would have the info from when the bikes were on the market. You know, back when service enterprises actually bought and shelved and read paper manuals. Not everything that's ever been printed is online.

In, say, 1992, would you have trusted your car to a body shop that didn't have the specs for the unibody alignment? Would you have trusted your bike to a shop that didn't have the equivalent? There were obviously shops that did, and they didn't all get pushed out by palaces of black carbon and GU. The OP needs to find such a shop.

This isn't some obscure rarity. It's a Giant Iguana. The Ford Taurus of the MTB world in its day.
Old 06-21-19, 05:40 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

A shop that's been around long enough would have the info from when the bikes were on the market. You know, back when service enterprises actually bought and shelved and read paper manuals. Not everything that's ever been printed is online.

In, say, 1992, would you have trusted your car to a body shop that didn't have the specs for the unibody alignment? Would you have trusted your bike to a shop that didn't have the equivalent? There were obviously shops that did, and they didn't all get pushed out by palaces of black carbon and GU. The OP needs to find such a shop.

This isn't some obscure rarity. It's a Giant Iguana. The Ford Taurus of the MTB world in its day.
Thought we were talking about framebuilders, not bike shops. Now you have to hope that the bike shop has mechanics on hand competent enough to properly measure a frame and hope that the shop kept these paper manuals. Providing, of course, that they were a Giant dealer back when these were new. And that these geometry manuals were actually provided by Giant.

The possibility of all this lining up is so slim that I really don't think it's a feasible option. But since this is nothing more than a guess, I'm going to try something - I'm going to reach out to both local Giant dealers (Cycle World and Mack Cycle) to see what their replies are. I know the staff at both pretty well, so I know they'll make the effort rather than feed me a canned salesman's reply.

TBH, I've never seen or heard of the Giant Iguana until now. In my region, Trek MultiTracks and the Jamis Boss Cruiser reign supreme for anyone considering a bike similar to the Iguana. Bought by recreational bicycle riders who'd buy another if they smashed up the first, mostly because that's what LBSs tend to do - mock your crashed bicycle and point out how much better the new one is on the floor.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-21-19 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 05:42 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
Thread’s bent. 🤪
Likes For jethin:
Old 06-21-19, 06:58 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Frame shop does not need dimensions. OP is claiming one inch of rake. No similar bike of era would have had one inch of rake.

Bent at steerer/crown. Those don't get repaired or re-raked. Plain dangerous. That fork gets replaced. Before or after failure.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 06-21-19, 10:05 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
It sure would be easier to take a proper photo and post it up, than look for manuals and go to bike shops. Just saying.
Likes For Steve Whitlatch:
Old 06-21-19, 10:15 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
It sure would be easier to take a proper photo and post it up, than look for manuals and go to bike shops. Just saying.
It would be, but then we all could clearly see..............Fork's bent.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-21-19, 10:17 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Already suggested, two days ago, in post # 8. But I doubt it would satisfy the "it's not bent" crowd.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-21-19, 03:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Already suggested, two days ago, in post # 8. But I doubt it would satisfy the "it's not bent" crowd.
On that note, I spoke with one of the two local Giant dealers - biggest in the county for volume, I believe.

They do not keep documentation on any model after 4 to 5 years, with exception to some of the road bikes. And if the Iguana did not spec the geometry in the consumer catalog, then they didn't have any documentation in the first place.

Mind, these things are not like a car which have a chassis/unibody manual with all the frame points measured out. Closest thing you'll find are high-end road frames that spec geometry, including trail and rake. Sure, there are a few odd exceptions, but that's when you have a Grant Peterson type heading your marketing department.

-Kurt

Old 06-23-19, 06:47 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I couldn't find the other fork, so I ordered a generic cro/mo mtb fork in the right size. I'm assuming Giant used generic parts, for the most part, in 1987. Worst case is I'll have a spare fork.
Likes For Needles:
Old 06-23-19, 07:06 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
That’s the high trail version of that model, made to rectify the wheel flop issues during low speed maneuvering. It just LOOKS like the fork is bent, but it’s all in the design. Note the lack of brake ons for low riders, since loading this would negatively affect the handling.
Old 06-23-19, 08:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Needles
I couldn't find the other fork, so I ordered a generic cro/mo mtb fork in the right size. I'm assuming Giant used generic parts, for the most part, in 1987. Worst case is I'll have a spare fork.
Good stuff! Make sure the notch for the washer on the replacement fork does not extend so low on the steeer that it's near where the stem wedge will be. If so, have it filled and smoothed, or it might split.

This example is extreme.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-25-19, 06:50 PM
movelo

Bikes: Mondia

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Frame shop does not need dimensions. OP is claiming one inch of rake. No similar bike of era would have had one inch of rake.

Bent at steerer/crown. Those don't get repaired or re-raked. Plain dangerous. That fork gets replaced. Before or after failure.
Agreed. And...a bent fork does not have to actually fail (by breaking) to be dangerous. With insufficient rake, your front end can rather quickly develop a wicked high speed shimmy, especially if you have one hand on the bars by the stem and the other hand reaching for a water bottle, nearing bottom on a steep descent. Which is what happened to me after I collided with a big labrador.

The lab was OK but my light steel criterium fork was not. The onset of the high speed shimmy was so fast I could not regain control, and took a bad high speed tumble. OK handling at low speed does not necessarily extrapolate to high speed stability. Am now accepting Darwin Award nominations for a) riding with a bent fork and b) bad refreshment timing.
Likes For movelo:
Old 07-04-19, 02:03 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Well, the final (I hope) iteration is shown here. I took the OEM fork to the local Giant place, and they couldn't tell me anything. They did find an NOS fork they said was an alternative "upgrade" from around 1990. It was straight as an arrow through the crown with larger diameter tubing. The only rake and trail was accomplished by the drops being mounted on triangular metal pieces at the bottom. The wheel was only about an inch or so ahead of center on the NOS fork. In fact, they put it into a frame to act as a jig and did some measurements, and the offset (for rake and trail) were within 2mm of identical for both forks. Even THEIR mechanic said that usually there would be stress cracks or bulges in the paint at the crown if it was bent, and there are none. As to instability, I have ridden it down some long (paved) downhills in New Mexico, where I have exceeded 40 mph, and it never shimmied, or even weaved. However, I did leave the generic fork on the bike. I had to pay the shop to seat the crown race with a slide hammer thing. Most all of my riding these days is on pavement, so, maybe the additional rake and trail will be more comfortable. If it gives me any problems, the original goes back on. I also ended up just servicing the cantilever brakes and putting them back on. The inventor of the V brake should be castrated with a plastic fork.
Old 07-04-19, 02:39 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Ahhhhhh, looks better!, but you missed your chance...
Old 07-04-19, 04:44 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
The inventor of the V brake should be castrated with a plastic fork.
Post of the year, at least so far.
Old 07-04-19, 06:45 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
I also ended up just servicing the cantilever brakes and putting them back on. The inventor of the V brake should be castrated with a plastic fork.
Why? V-brakes are a breeze to set up. When I get a bike with good cantis I keep them but replace the shoes with V-brake style as they're easier to adjust. If they're cheap crappy cantis or need replaced I go V-brake if it's something I'm building for myself.
Old 07-04-19, 09:22 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I didn't know that the Giant Iguana featured a "funny bike" frame, nor would I have expected.

Looks like the frame is suspension-corrected for a 5" travel fork(?).
Likes For dddd:
Old 07-05-19, 08:16 AM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think there were any suspension forks in 1987. The long seat tube is due to my 34" inseam. Lowered top tubes were still in the future, too. This one is now a hybrid/city/whatever. I couldn't make the v brakes work. They either rubbed or I had no brakes. Occasionally, I'd get them just right, then the heat/humidity/karma/witchcraft would affect them the next day and then they'd either rub or I'd have no brakes. After a month I said to hell with 'em. The original cantilevers (Deore XCM) work fine.
Old 07-05-19, 09:16 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
I don't think there were any suspension forks in 1987. The long seat tube is due to my 34" inseam. Lowered top tubes were still in the future, too. This one is now a hybrid/city/whatever. I couldn't make the v brakes work. They either rubbed or I had no brakes. Occasionally, I'd get them just right, then the heat/humidity/karma/witchcraft would affect them the next day and then they'd either rub or I'd have no brakes. After a month I said to hell with 'em. The original cantilevers (Deore XCM) work fine.
Well since you have good cantis and they work might as well keep them but it piques my curiosity as to why you were having issues. I've never had an issue converting to V's except my first time and that was on my 22" TREK 820. I had to add a brake booster on the rear because the long seat stays flexed and I couldn't get a solid lever feel on the rear. Put the booster on and problem solved. It's the only one I've had to do that on every one since has been a "set it and forget it". Please don't be offended but you DID swap brake levers, right? I have to ask, I've known more than a few people that didn't swap the levers too and were cussing the V-brakes.
Old 07-05-19, 10:12 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Those look like the thickest seatstays I've seen on a steel bike.

How did you make the seat tube longer? (I didn't know that sloping toptubes were "a thing" on 1980's mtbs!)

Yeah, V-Brakes definitely require V-Brake levers to get sufficient clearance at the rim, since the cable needs to move about 50% further..

Last edited by dddd; 07-05-19 at 10:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.