Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Smallest hand pump

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Smallest hand pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I'd think a good group would have a diverse way of inflating their tube/tires. I'd hate to be riding with a group that only had one type of inflator. I wouldn't want to be in a group that all share the same opinions either. That would be boring.
Old 06-24-19, 12:51 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
We don't leave riders for dead, but we hate to get held up by someone screwing around with a pump(when it's unnecessary).
There are those in our group from time to time that are "newbies" and need to learn how to properly use a hand pump. We encourage it. So if a time comes and someone who only has a hand pump to inflate a tire, those with experience will coach them on how to repair a flat. We wait. No one is reprimanded, look down upon as rude or referred to as a "chump" for caring only a hand pump as opposed to a co2 inflator.
Old 06-24-19, 01:00 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The group I ride with doesn’t have newbs. We are all competitive cyclists or duathletes. Our group rides aren’t casual/social rides. After the ride we might meet for a beer or coffee, but the ride itself is a serious workout.
Old 06-24-19, 01:36 PM
cycledogg

I ride both competitive and casual. But I still do not consider those who carry a pump, serious and social "chumps" as you have refer them as.
As for the OP, this is the pump I carry. I never leave on a bike ride without one.

Old 06-24-19, 10:27 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by cycledogg
I ride both competitive and casual. But I still do not consider those who carry a pump, serious and social "chumps" as you have refer them as.
As for the OP, this is the pump I carry. I never leave on a bike ride without one.
You still don't get it, but that's okay.
Old 06-25-19, 03:09 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Realize that the smaller ones will take longer to pump. Like 200+ strokes. I strongly advise getting one with a hose connection, the direct ones can bend and/or wreck the valve if you are in a hurry (like when you are angry at your stupid flat!).

I honestly prefer CO2 for group/club rides to save time, pump for solo rides when time not an issue.
There is another solution to the bend valve issue. Get at presta valve extender or a presta to Dunlop (Sometimes called Woods valve) adaptor, also a presta to schrader adaptor is useful if you come by a gas station.
Old 06-25-19, 05:34 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
If you carry a CO2 and a pump backup: Do you carry multiple spare tubes? and/or patches? I'll use an available spare tube before patching, of course. (Group rides are great, I only carry one tube and one CO2. The group shares as needed.)

Instant patches:

I got one of the Park instant patches to work once. I scuffed the tube with the included sandpaper, pressed on the patch, and pressed hard with a tire lever to stick it on tight.

I've had other instant patch failures. They are certainly easy to carry, but don't seem reliable.

Glue

I carry a fresh glued patch kit if I'm riding solo, where I won't have an emergency pick up available. I don't trust even unopened tubes that have been carried around for a while.

Glued patches are reliable, just about all the time. I've had maybe one failure in 20 uses. Of course, some cuts are too big for a patch.
I usually am riding with at least one patch on a tube. I save punctured tubes and patch 4 or 5 at a time, using up a whole tube of glue. It's fast to do them all at once, at home. I finally had one patch fail after riding it for a few months, it had an extremely slow leak from under the patch.

Tire boots

A boot to temporarily fix a large tire cut.
Park Tool tire boot: I had a quite new tire with a small cut, and decided to boot it "just in case" with half of a Park Tool boot patch. No. The edge of the boot wore through the tube, causing a flat a week later. Grrr. They do say it's for temporary fixes only...
The Park boots are stiff, and the adhesive back doesn't really stick to the inside of the tire. So they are difficult to use, anyway.

Now I carry squares of Tyvek. I've used pieces of an event ride's pinned on rider number. These are very good for wrapping the spare tube in the seat bag.
I've seen a few riders get a flat from their spare tube -- the folded crease got a bit worn while being carried for months. That spot gave way after riding a short time with the spare tube installed.

Folded dollar bills work good, too. I've ridden home with the green color showing through the tire cut. Very strong paper.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-25-19 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 05:59 AM
Weakbikr

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Got a flat on a ride. I had 2 co2 canisters. Filled the tire and moved on. Must have gotten a pinhole because I had to pull over twice more. I used my first canister. 2nd pull over we we t through 3 canisters and 2 different co2 guns to get it filled. 3rd stop I pulled off and put my new tube in and filled it with our last remaining canister. Never ride without a pump and 2 new tubes now. The pump will always be plan b on a ride but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Cant imagine a worse feeling than being stranded 50 miles out on the country.
Old 06-25-19, 07:14 AM
cycledogg

+1

on a group ride, pumps are for chumps.
Oh, I get it, you made it perfectly clear.
Old 06-25-19, 07:18 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The group I ride with doesn’t have newbs. We are all competitive cyclists or duathletes. Our group rides aren’t casual/social rides. After the ride we might meet for a beer or coffee, but the ride itself is a serious workout.
We have this type of guys locally. I've seen these guys. These guys are the self-proclaimed "serious cyclists." These guys are the absolute worst.
Old 06-25-19, 07:37 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
We have this type of guys locally. I've seen these guys. These guys are the self-proclaimed "serious cyclists." These guys are the absolute worst.
Six days a week we ride however we want, but the Saturday ride is a heavy workout. We couldn't possibly care less what you think.
Old 06-25-19, 09:15 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
What goes around, comes around. The group I ride with is a pretty close group of friends, and we don't worry about giving a friend a CO2 cartridge if someone is having an unlucky day(multiple flats). We all carry 2 cartridges, and I can't recall the last time our group got multiple flats on a ride

I'm not saying it's a bad Idea for someone to carry a mini-pump, but I'd be irritated if someone started using a pump when CO2 is available,

I'd hate to be the chump that holds up the group by using a pump.

If your friends give you a hard time about needing a CO2 cartridge, maybe you should find some better people to ride with.
I ride solo almost all the time.
Old 06-25-19, 09:38 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I ride solo almost all the time.
I ride solo 6 days a week, but our Saturday ride is a nice change. We chat a little as we warm up, but after about 6 miles the roads start to open up, and the pace starts to rise as well. If someone flats we all stop until it's repaired, and then move on as a group.

This ride is just about going fast, and waiting for someone to use a pump is a buzzkill.

After the ride we stop for a coffee or a few beers, and sometimes we head over to one of our homes for a swim/BBQ. It's not a social ride. There's plenty of time for that afterward.
Old 06-25-19, 11:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This thread started out as a discussion of mini-pumps...

Outdoor Gear Lab has nice reviews and comparisons including this comparison of frame and mini-pumps.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...est-frame-pump

I find their reviews to be unbiased and realistic. They actually test every product they review.

-Tim-
Old 06-25-19, 11:50 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Lezyne Road Drive. easily fits in jersey pocket. gets the job done.
Old 06-25-19, 11:53 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I ride solo 6 days a week, but our Saturday ride is a nice change. We chat a little as we warm up, but after about 6 miles the roads start to open up, and the pace starts to rise as well. If someone flats we all stop until it's repaired, and then move on as a group.
Sounds like Saturday Worlds (except for the waiting if someone flats part) A time-honored tradition all over.
Old 06-25-19, 12:49 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's Tuesday Night Worlds out here, and the ridership is composed of precisely what one would imagine. I would be astonished if there were one mini pump for every $5,000 worth of shoes on any given Tuesday ride.
Old 06-25-19, 05:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's Tuesday Night Worlds out here, and the ridership is composed of precisely what one would imagine. I would be astonished if there were one mini pump for every $5,000 worth of shoes on any given Tuesday ride.
It's a damn shame that I know what you mean.