Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 06-30-19, 06:17 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Sorry, does anyone know what this means:

“Please kindly trace the shipment tightly to clear the customs and sign for it on time. Otherwise, the shipment may be returned to us and a relevant extra expense would be caused by such delay that Light Bicycle will not be responsible for.”

It was in the tracking email from LB. I’m currently tracking that number via both China EMS and USPS and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for.
Old 06-30-19, 06:52 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Seems that delivery will require a signature, so they want to be sure someone is there to receive the package and sign.

I've never had a shipper return a package after missing a signature on the first try -- they usually give you options. But after a few misses, it goes back.
Old 06-30-19, 07:47 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
My guess, too low pressure, 20 psi and rock hit, then tire wrapped around rim.
This was training on wheels that were supposed to be for racing. I think he just caught a rock.
This stuff happens, more with him.
My guess is that it will happen less, when he has to pay for the equipment(whenever that happens)
Old 06-30-19, 07:58 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
My guess is that it will happen less, when he has to pay for the equipment(whenever that happens)
Maybe. We'll see how he treats aircraft.
He is very conscious, not a waster of my money. He is told to ride and race as it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. That is the reality of racing. I have more crushed wheels and cracked frames I could post, but that would be off topic.
Old 06-30-19, 08:34 PM
noodle soup

Maybe. We'll see how he treats aircraft.
He is very conscious, not a waster of my money. He is told to ride and race as it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. That is the reality of racing. I have more crushed wheels and cracked frames I could post, but that would be off topic.
You said, "training on wheels that were supposed to be for racing".

It sounds like he didn't listen to your instructions.
Old 06-30-19, 08:42 PM
Doge

You said, "training on wheels that were supposed to be for racing".

It sounds like he didn't listen to your instructions.
It was a logistics issue.

It is often that. Moving the right equipment to the correct place is difficult when riding in multiple areas in multiple disciplines.
Likes For Doge:
Old 06-30-19, 09:25 PM
noodle soup

It was a logistics issue.

It is often that. Moving the right equipment to the correct place is difficult when riding in multiple areas in multiple disciplines.
Is that an X Lightness Ultra 25T? Do you think a beefier hoop would have survived the incident?

BTW, why was he riding with his tires at 20psi?

Last edited by noodle soup; 06-30-19 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 09:28 PM
Deceiver

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got the 56mm deep, 30mm wide clinchers correct? May I ask what brakes your running that are that wide? Assuming they aren't direct mount?
Old 06-30-19, 09:44 PM
Doge

Is that an X Lightness Ultra 25T? Do you think a beefier hoop would have survived the incident?

BTW, why was he riding with his tires at 20psi?
You are the one taking this off topic - I'm just responding :-)

Yes, it is.
When used correctly I find the ax and extralite are as strong as anything. I think they are stronger. But like a frame with thin tubes, they may work great in the riding, but don't sit on the top tube.
The rear is on 2nd season of race use.

Best I can tell the front tire was under inflated. He hit a rock, the sidewall broke, the tire burped and wrapped around and any wheel would have been ruined.
But would a heavier rim have had that sidewall broken? Less of a chance.

I do and always have gone light. When going off script - stuff is more likely to explode. The reason for buying a Light Bicycle wheel replacement is cost. Nothing I have seen matches the performance of an ax and Extralite.

The 20 PSI thing was his biggest crime. I don't know, he listens to the lower pressure is better crowd.
He was running 20-25 on the cx bike - tubulars and I expect didn't think there is a difference.

Last edited by Doge; 06-30-19 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 09:59 PM
noodle soup

The 20 PSI thing was his biggest crime. I don't know, he listens to the lower pressure is better crowd.
He was running 20-25 on the cx bike - tubulars and I expect didn't think there is a difference.
I didn't realize this was on a CX bike. 20-25psi seems pretty low, even for CX.
Old 06-30-19, 10:39 PM
Doge

I didn't realize this was on a CX bike. 20-25psi seems pretty low, even for CX.
This was a MTB. But coming off cx season on a cx bike with tubulars where he was into super low pressure. As that was soft ground and mud it worked.
Tubeless are a different thing. There was not an education period involved.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-01-19, 01:28 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Deceiver
You got the 56mm deep, 30mm wide clinchers correct? May I ask what brakes your running that are that wide? Assuming they aren't direct mount?
I assume you’re talking to me. I haven’t gotten the wheels yet so maybe I made a horrible financial decision, but I’m using R7000 (newest 105) standard brakes. The brakes definitely open wide enough for a 30mm rim. The only issue is that the QR lever won’t do anything as they’ll be run at max spread. Not an issue though because the tire is the same width as the rim and the shimano brakes are super stiff.
Old 07-01-19, 08:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Sorry, does anyone know what this means:

“Please kindly trace the shipment tightly to clear the customs and sign for it on time. Otherwise, the shipment may be returned to us and a relevant extra expense would be caused by such delay that Light Bicycle will not be responsible for.”

It was in the tracking email from LB. I’m currently tracking that number via both China EMS and USPS and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for.
My wheels came via the USPS. I wasn't home when they tried to deliver, so they left a notice for pickup at a nearby post office. There was a fixed period of time (maybe a week?) that they said they would hold them until they sent them back to China. I was able to pick them up the next day, but had I not, I think I would have received a second notice before they shipped anything back.

It was when picking them up that I thought I might be charged the tariff, but I wasn't. This was in early June.
Old 07-01-19, 09:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The Chinese factory has been sanding my rims for three days.

One rim is evidently smooth enough as it has moved to painting but I'm really not sure what there is to paint on a carbon rim.

The other rim is still being sanded though.

-Tim-
Old 07-01-19, 10:21 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TimothyH

One rim is evidently smooth enough as it has moved to painting but I'm really not sure what there is to paint on a carbon rim.

-Tim-
I suspect it's a matte clearcoat or decal application, but I'm just guessing.

Mine were being sanded for 8 or 9 days when I emailed them about the delay. They claimed the "ghost" decals were out of stock.
Old 07-01-19, 10:33 PM
Deceiver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assume you’re talking to me. I haven’t gotten the wheels yet so maybe I made a horrible financial decision, but I’m using R7000 (newest 105) standard brakes. The brakes definitely open wide enough for a 30mm rim. The only issue is that the QR lever won’t do anything as they’ll be run at max spread. Not an issue though because the tire is the same width as the rim and the shimano brakes are super stiff.
Oops yeah not sure what happened to the quote but that didn't work out quite right for me.

Was just trying to figure out what you had going on as I have direct mount 5800 series brakes and they can only accommodate 28mm wide rim.
Was just hoping you weren't a noob like me and made a very costly mistake.
Speaking of which I have a rear 56mm laced up on a 240 hub that I simply cannot use due to my direct mount limitations.
Old 07-01-19, 10:35 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Yeah, been there, done that. You can read my posts earlier in this thread about the progress of my order. I only have my own experience to go on, but if it applies, the fabrication and shipping will take a little longer than you hope. They won't be outrageously late, but you may need to have some patience.
Old 07-01-19, 10:48 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yeah, been there, done that. You can read my posts earlier in this thread about the progress of my order. I only have my own experience to go on, but if it applies, the fabrication and shipping will take a little longer than you hope. They won't be outrageously late, but you may need to have some patience.
When I bought mine, the "fabrication" took a little longer than they projected, but the shipping was about what they said it would be.

Once the package hit the states, it was at my door a day later.
Old 07-01-19, 10:55 PM
MinnMan

When I bought mine, the "fabrication" took a little longer than they projected, but the shipping was about what they said it would be.

We each have our anecdotes - they are a little different- and neither is sufficient to make generalizations. As for shipping in my case, it was the leg from China to S. F. that took longer than expected.

It was a little more than a month between when I placed and paid for the order and when I had the wheels in my hands.
Old 07-01-19, 11:12 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Deceiver
Oops yeah not sure what happened to the quote but that didn't work out quite right for me.

Was just trying to figure out what you had going on as I have direct mount 5800 series brakes and they can only accommodate 28mm wide rim.
Was just hoping you weren't a noob like me and made a very costly mistake.
Speaking of which I have a rear 56mm laced up on a 240 hub that I simply cannot use due to my direct mount limitations.
Hold up. Have you tried the R7000 DM brakes? DM has more tire and rim clearance than standard mount. I wouldn’t give up just yet. All this talk about stuff not fitting is honestly scaring the crap outta me, despite my measuring far more than 30mm between the pads.....

My theory is that if the pads can easily fit around a fat 28 tire, then they can clamp a rim of that width as well?? God I’m going to feel so dumb if I actually messed this up

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=157081

Last edited by smashndash; 07-02-19 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 11:13 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by MinnMan
We each have our anecdotes - they are a little different- and neither is sufficient to make generalizations. As for shipping in my case, it was the leg from China to S. F. that took longer than expected.

It was a little more than a month between when I placed and paid for the order and when I had the wheels in my hands.
It was a month for me as well, but the shipping was about what LB said it would be. The fabrication process took about a week longer than they projected.
Old 07-02-19, 09:24 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts

I think what it comes down to is the status updates are behind. Once the status said they were Stateside, I too got them the next day....
Old 07-02-19, 11:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Pretty common for the software to have a list of statuses, even if there's no painting involved that's the next one in the workflow and it can't move forward until some other process has been kicked off. It's probably not that the ghost of Bob Ross is having too much fun with your rims.

My Enve wheels took 3 or 4 weeks, too. It's not just LB.
Old 07-02-19, 07:39 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Well, I took the plunge today and ordered a set of RR36C02 wheels, Onyx hubs w/ CL disc brakes, CX Ray spokes with black brass nipples and stealth graphics. I picked the 36mm depth since it seemed to be the best compromise between aero and cross wind resistance which I face a lot around here in the spring. Not that I needed new CF wheels at all but once I got it into my head it just ate at me until I couldn't take it anymore. I figure my serious (for me) cycling years are counting down so why not enjoy them while I can.

They will be built in and are coming out of Canada since I wanted the Onyx hubs so delivery should be week after next. Would have been sooner but they have to order the Onyx hubs from the factory and hope have them built by the end of next week or early the following week.

Last edited by August West; 07-03-19 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 09:43 PM
Deceiver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hold up. Have you tried the R7000 DM brakes? DM has more tire and rim clearance than standard mount. I wouldn’t give up just yet. All this talk about stuff not fitting is honestly scaring the crap outta me, despite my measuring far more than 30mm between the pads.....

My theory is that if the pads can easily fit around a fat 28 tire, then they can clamp a rim of that width as well?? God I’m going to feel so dumb if I actually messed this up
Well my 5800 DM brakes (BR-5810-RS) product specification lists 28mm as max width.
When I went to put the rear wheel in it was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work, I clearly had not done enough research when jumping on the 56mm Deep/30mm Wide wheel.
I even looked at a few alternatives, Cane Creek EE brakes for example. However, they have the 28mm width limitation as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but looking at Shimanos specification page for the R7000 DM brakes (BR-R7010-F) you are likely screwed as well.

Thankfully I only bought the rear wheel in 56mmD/30mmW and bought the front wheel as 46mmD/28mmW.
I had to buy another 46mmD/30mmW rear wheel from them to match and thus have the 56mm one sitting around collecting dust as I've yet to try and find a buyer.

Also the weightweenies link basically confirms what I mentioned. 28mm max. The one guy has 30mm on NON direct mount brakes.
I even felt the need to have to use the Evo Flash pads to give myself adequate clearance with the 28mm rims.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.