Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 07-08-19, 12:37 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Here you go --

(Centaur Ultra-Torque, 52/36)

(probably gonna tell me the white saddle is now out of place, too. Yeah yeah, when this one dies I'm switching over to a Fabric)

Not the crankset I would've chosen, but it's still a huge improvement.

FTR, I like white saddles. They look better with white tape, but that can be a PITA to keep clean.

That's a really nice ride.

It's probably just the photo, but damn that saddle is nose high.
Old 07-08-19, 12:44 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by smashndash
(perhaps you remember the failing disc brake fiasco from this year’s TOC - that road)
I remember TJ having a little brake issue. Is that the one?
Old 07-08-19, 11:49 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I remember TJ having a little brake issue. Is that the one?
Oh whoops. Didn’t realize there were multiple. This one was Remi Cavagna’s descent in stage 3. There was a lot of debate as to whether his descending was just utter garbage or if his brakes were failing on him. His time is still in the top 3% on strava, but he had both lanes to work with, which is a huge advantage, of course. The reason that descent is tough is because it’s steep (10%), rough, blind and sweeping. There’s no good braking points because as soon as you’re out of one turn, you’re in the next. That’s why it’s so challenging for brakes.
Old 07-08-19, 11:58 AM
noodle soup

Oh whoops. Didn’t realize there were multiple. This one was Remi Cavagna’s descent in stage 3. There was a lot of debate as to whether his descending was just utter garbage or if his brakes were failing on him. His time is still in the top 3% on strava, but he had both lanes to work with, which is a huge advantage, of course. The reason that descent is tough is because it’s steep (10%), rough, blind and sweeping. There’s no good braking points because as soon as you’re out of one turn, you’re in the next. That’s why it’s so challenging for brakes.
Tejay's issues came when he swapped bikes with a teammate, that had his brakes reversed(right lever front, left lever rear).
Old 07-08-19, 01:09 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts

Not the crankset I would've chosen, but it's still a huge improvement.

FTR, I like white saddles. They look better with white tape, but that can be a PITA to keep clean.

That's a really nice ride.

It's probably just the photo, but damn that saddle is nose high.

4-arm doesn't bother me too much, and the black does balance the aesthetic better. I've had white tape, then I had yellow/dirty tape. Not worth the PITA like you said.

The way the Toupe is shaped, I have the back 1/2 of the saddle effectively level, which raises the nose a touch... and the pic exaggerates it too...
Old 07-14-19, 06:21 PM
smashndash

So I did the chalk thing:

I was able to wipe off chalk 3mm deep into the sidewall. I was pushing the bike fairly hard and was either in line with the bike or had the bike very slightly lower than me but I never went to the absolute limit. Plus, this was all on flat roads. I definitely am nowhere near what more experienced riders around me do on a regular basis.

Are there other people running 25mm tires on these rims or similar? It seemed like there were a lot when I was doing my homework. One user Hexsense actually posted about using 25mm P Zeros on this wheel on WW. At this point, I'm not sure what the correct course of action is. Should I assume that this isn't an issue since Cannondale, Hunt, Enve, Specialized, Cadex, Light Bicycle etc. all say so? I'm tempted to switch at least my front tire to a Corsa to get just that little bit of extra tread but I'm not sure if even that would be enough - 5mm more tread means 2.5mm on each side. I'd prefer more like another 4mm on each side, at least on the front. Maybe 3 on the rear. I can definitely fit a 28mm rear, but a 28mm up front would leave me with 2mm of clearance to the fork crown - tight.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by smashndash; 07-14-19 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 08:40 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
So I did the chalk thing:

I was able to wipe off chalk 3mm deep into the sidewall. I was pushing the bike fairly hard and was either in line with the bike or had the bike very slightly lower than me but I never went to the absolute limit. Plus, this was all on flat roads. I definitely am nowhere near what more experienced riders around me do on a regular basis.

Are there other people running 25mm tires on these rims or similar? It seemed like there were a lot when I was doing my homework. One user Hexsense actually posted about using 25mm P Zeros on this wheel on WW. At this point, I'm not sure what the correct course of action is. Should I assume that this isn't an issue since Cannondale, Hunt, Enve, Specialized, Cadex, Light Bicycle etc. all say so? I'm tempted to switch at least my front tire to a Corsa to get just that little bit of extra tread but I'm not sure if even that would be enough - 5mm more tread means 2.5mm on each side. I'd prefer more like another 4mm on each side, at least on the front. Maybe 3 on the rear. I can definitely fit a 28mm rear, but a 28mm up front would leave me with 2mm of clearance to the fork crown - tight.

What do you guys think?
I don’t know much about this, but given how many tires I’ve had that with slicks does it even make a difference? I was always told that the tread on a bike tire made little difference... but have no idea if that’s true
Old 07-15-19, 08:46 PM
robbyville

Update if not on the wheels then the tape that the NA folks use for builds and tubeless compatible. I bought the wheels in September and have now had to replace the rim tape on each wheel. First the front about a month ago and today the rear. Woke up twice to a flat tire on each. When pumping up it seemed like air was being lost at the valve but in the end the tape was punctured and air coming out of a hole somewhere nearby. With the heat in the desert sealant seems to evaporate pretty quickly too. I’ve replaced the tape with Stan’s and all is well again. I’ve also moved the bike from garage (100+ degrees every day and night) into the house.
Old 07-15-19, 08:58 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by robbyville
I don’t know much about this, but given how many tires I’ve had that with slicks does it even make a difference? I was always told that the tread on a bike tire made little difference... but have no idea if that’s true
Sorry, let me clarify. I don't mean the tread pattern - that's not nearly as serious of an issue (though many companies such as Vittoria, Specialized, Rene Herse, Pirelli and Continental believe that it helps feel by meshing with the road). By "tread" I mean the part of the tire that's intended to bear weight and roll against the road. I am concerned because if the sidewall (the part below the line) isn't designed to grip the road, this could lead to a sudden loss of grip. For example, if you have a cotton tire, you can bet that rolling onto the sidewall will a) cause damage and b) give you almost no grip. The pirelli has rubber on the sidewalls too so it's unclear whether this is intended behavior.

I asked Hexsense what he thought about the Pirellis (he runs 25f 28r on these wheels):
It is fine as far as i'm using it.
But Pirelli didn't stay on that wheel set for long. My commuter needed new tires so i moved them over and got GP5000 to replace it on my LB.

I push hard on corners. I think Pirelli's grip is as good or better than GP5000. I managed to rear slip on GP5000 a few times. I think, despite whatever Conti claims, GP5000 have less grip than 4000sII. Good thing is, all of the skid are very brief and recoverable.

I'm testing the new Vittoria Corsa G2. For whatever reason, i feel like this could be the grippiest tire i've ever use so far. Still need to validate on some harder rides.
I ran an old 28 p zero front at 38psi today and it felt worlds better than a 25 front at 55psi or so. I sent it way harder today. I still used about 3-4mm of sidewall on the front but the bike never felt "chattery". But I am fairly confident that Hexsense pushes harder than I do so if he thinks a 25mm p zero is good on these wheels, then I'm inclined to believe him. I might have to drop pressures a bit and just take the rim dings but we'll see where this goes. I have only about 2-2.5mm of clearance with a 28mm tire on these rims so this is only a last resort.
Old 07-15-19, 09:00 PM
smashndash

Update if not on the wheels then the tape that the NA folks use for builds and tubeless compatible. I bought the wheels in September and have now had to replace the rim tape on each wheel. First the front about a month ago and today the rear. Woke up twice to a flat tire on each. When pumping up it seemed like air was being lost at the valve but in the end the tape was punctured and air coming out of a hole somewhere nearby. With the heat in the desert sealant seems to evaporate pretty quickly too. I’ve replaced the tape with Stan’s and all is well again. I’ve also moved the bike from garage (100+ degrees every day and night) into the house.
The tape that LB provided only covered the central channel. Does your Stan's tape do the same? Seems like an unreliable fit. I've seen more tubeless tape jobs that cover the entire rim bed.
Old 07-15-19, 09:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've seen more tubeless tape jobs that cover the entire rim bed.
Both Reynolds and HED spec tape that covers the entire bed. I can't imagine that covering only the center well would hold as well/long.
Old 07-15-19, 10:38 PM
zinedrei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going for disc on my new build and the frame and groupset have been ordered already.

went for colnago clx evo disc since it's on a good price at merlin and then paid the deposit on my LBS for a force axs set.
need to wait for 60 days for the 165mm crank to arrive.

only thing missing now are the wheels.
initially decided to go with reynolds ar 58 due to the great price and lifetime warranty although sourcing the xdr freehub is a pain.
however, both the wheels and freehub are out of stock so i am looking for an option.

light bicycle rims paired with industry nine hubs seem to be a good alternative.

my question is which rims should i go for in case i will be using a 25c tyre?
and anyone has an idea where i can find a few anodized spokes like the ones that industry nine offer? only need around 6 pieces.

tia...
Old 07-15-19, 11:43 PM
noodle soup

+1

Light Bicycle tape is hot garbage. I didn't have problems with leakage, but after 3 months(2850 miles), the tape was peeling up at the edges, when I replaced the rear tire.

I've never seen this from any other tape, and never even heard of this being a common issue with tubeless tape from any other manufacturer. When I saw this I replaced the tape immediately.
Old 07-15-19, 11:49 PM
robbyville

+1

Light Bicycle tape is hot garbage. I didn't have problems with leakage, but after 3 months(2850 miles), the tape was peeling up at the edges, when I replaced the rear tire.

I've never seen this from any other tape, and never even heard of this being a common issue with tubeless tape from any other manufacturer. When I saw this I replaced the tape immediately.
Agreed and thanks. I always though tape was tape. The new Stan’s seems to cover the same acreage as the LB tape but seems more flexible. I wonder though what or how the tape was punctured at point of spoke hole. Pressure?
Old 07-15-19, 11:58 PM
noodle soup

Agreed and thanks. I always though tape was tape. The new Stan’s seems to cover the same acreage as the LB tape but seems more flexible. I wonder though what or how the tape was punctured at point of spoke hole. Pressure?
I'd always used Stan's or "Tesa 4289" tape, and had never seen an issue like this(peeling). I thought it might be the sealant I was using( https://www.truckerco.com/product-pa...nt-34-us-fl-oz ), but hadn't seen any complaints about this causing an issue.
Old 07-16-19, 09:09 AM
robbyville

Funnily enough since I moved the bike inside the house from the 120+ degree garage, I seem to be losing practically no air. 2 days now, no need for even a couple hits with the pump. Go figure. Some folks were telling me that one of our local shops tell them that it’s not good for the grease in the bearings to be left out in our heat all the time, doesn’t compute for me, I would think that the bearings generate more heat simply via friction and that grease is made to withstand just like in cars.
Old 07-16-19, 09:30 AM
noodle soup

Some folks were telling me that one of our local shops tell them that it’s not good for the grease in the bearings to be left out in our heat all the time, doesn’t compute for me, I would think that the bearings generate more heat simply via friction and that grease is made to withstand just like in cars.
It doesn't make sense to me either.

I've worked in several shops(in Southern Nevada + Phoenix), and never once heard anyone say this.
Old 07-16-19, 11:25 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Any advice on whether to go j-bend or straight pull spokes (dt240 hubs, if it matters)?

Also, looking at rims from CarbonFan as well, who can build rims to UST standard (ie no spoke holes). I know this complicates wheel building/repair, but given problems people are having (and I have previously had) with rim tape, I wonder if it is worth it?
Old 07-16-19, 12:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin
I know this complicates wheel building/repair, but given problems people are having (and I have previously had) with rim tape, I wonder if it is worth it?
Or you can just install the proper width rim tape.
Old 07-16-19, 09:51 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Any advice on whether to go j-bend or straight pull spokes (dt240 hubs, if it matters)?
If you can afford it, straight pull for the win. Elbows flex and fail.

I'm surprised this is even a question...
Old 07-16-19, 10:43 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Kimmo
If you can afford it, straight pull for the win. Elbows flex and fail.

I'm surprised this is even a question...
There used to be an availability issue with straight pull spokes, but that's not an issue anymore.
Old 07-17-19, 04:42 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I had heard concerns about availability, good to know it's a non-issue. Thanks!
Old 07-17-19, 05:28 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I've seen a couple of straight-pull spoke heads busted, but at a guess I'd say it's a fair bit smaller proportion of those than busted elbows... Hard to say, it's tough to imagine how many you've seen of each.
Old 07-17-19, 09:28 AM
robbyville

Also, looking at rims from CarbonFan as well, who can build rims to UST standard (ie no spoke holes). I know this complicates wheel building/repair, but given problems people are having (and I have previously had) with rim tape, I wonder if it is worth it?
i had a set of Yoeleo’s prior that had no spoke holes. Nice wheels but the fit and finish was not as good as the LB’s. I personally don’t worry about the repair hassles since broken spokes are a rarity for me. By the same token, I wouldn’t let my feedback on their rim tape be a deterrent either. First time in a very long cycling life that this has happened to me and an easy fix that took less than 20min including tire removal clean up, etc.

as for the straight vs bent heads, I think that’s been answered.

good luck!
Old 07-17-19, 04:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I've seen a couple of straight-pull spoke heads busted, but at a guess I'd say it's a fair bit smaller proportion of those than busted elbows... Hard to say, it's tough to imagine how many you've seen of each.
So.. dumb question time.. why is there such a thing as a J-bend spoke? What purpose do they serve?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.