Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

This thing is a rocket.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

This thing is a rocket.

Old 08-19-19, 01:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
I don't know about faster, but i have felt bikes that just feel super alive and responsive, and just feeling like they are saying..."dude get in shape, lose weight and push me hard, let's have some fun" notably my 84 Team Miyata (this is double butted, with mostly dura ace, mavic 330 and tubies) Enough so that I got an 85 (possible 86...serial numbers to t mar soon) to see if I can duplicate or get close to this with modern gear. hoping lightening strikes twice

Old 08-20-19, 08:56 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I don't know about faster, but i have felt bikes that just feel super alive and responsive, and just feeling like they are saying..."dude get in shape, lose weight and push me hard, let's have some fun"
You mention lightning striking twice... I bought a rocket a few months ago. 92 Trek 1400, 105 group...

After some cleanup and tuning, it just BEGGED me to go... I couldn't afford these in 92, and I couldn't catch guys that rode them. But it is a size smaller than I like, and I gave it to my son in law. So I can still visit it...

I saw an ad for a never ridden 2006 CAAD8 R1000 frame. Bike was bought new and the Ultegra stuff stripped for a carbon bike build. The bare frame passed through a few hands, till I snagged it for an obscene low price. I am cheap... I spent more for the wheels, used... At a tick over 18 pounds, this is the lightest hike I have ridden, much less owned. As a Clydesdale, I never seriously worried about weight... But this is 7 pounds lighter than my old steel KHS, and I can hit 25 mph a lot quicker on the R1000 than the KHS. A lot... THIS rocket is my personal reward to myself, for losing 130 pounds, so far...

I also have a 98 Cannondale R200, but I can't really feel it is any quicker than my old KHS...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 08-20-19, 09:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've been impressed with how responsive my 1985 Cannondale ST 400 is. It is a long wheelbase bike (42 inches with 18 inch stays). My 1982 Trek 720 with the same geometry but built of Reynolds 531 tubing feels noodly compared to the 'dale. I'd take the Trek over the Cannondale for fully loaded touring trip; I used the Trek on a cross country. It was comfy and handled the weight well thanks to that long wheel base and stays. But for multi day events (like the ride I just did, Bike Ride Around Minnesota 2019), I like the ST 400 better. The 1985 catalog says that the bike has touring bike geometry and the stiffness of a race bike which is pretty much true.

Old 08-20-19, 08:13 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I definitely believe in faster and slower bikes. They are mostly faster when I am not on them and someone else is and mostly slower when I am supplying the motive force.

No really, whatever, some bikes just feel fast and the mental cues given I think improve the engines performance resulting in an actually faster bike. My sub-18 pound aluminum GT triple triangle is most decidedly faster than my Raleigh 3-speed "English" Racer and I do not care what you say. My Guerc SLX is most decidedly faster than my Bridegestone MB4 MTB. So there.
Old 08-20-19, 08:25 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Love that green^^^^^^^^
Me too. 😎 There's a taller one in that color on the Phoenix cl. 😁😉
Old 08-21-19, 05:39 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
When I climb into the cockpit of my Mercier I'm strapping myself in for an exceptionally fast ride. Tires are melting, twine is shreading, leather is tearing. I'm dialed up, dialed in and dialing for dollars. The glue on my sew-ups starts to sizzle. My bell chimes 29 times for each man on the Edmond Fitzgerald. The red, white and blue bands on my Mercier look like a waving French flag as I take the checkered flag darting past a big yellow taxi. I slow down to take in the hissing of summer lawns, and a bug filled smile forms on my face. Strength + Endurance = SPEED!
Old 08-21-19, 06:35 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
What's the evidence that this bike is faster than the other one? It feels faster? Strava records? Races won?
For me Strava records on segments near my house I do over and over again.
Old 08-21-19, 07:59 AM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
I have some data on this topic, having used a power meter for a few years, and tracking things carefully up until about 3 years ago. At the same power, speed difference #1 is aero. Not just an aero bike/position vs upright, but also clothing, helmet, jacket, they all add up to slow you down. Difference #2 is wheel/tire/pressure. Aero is part of that equation, but just as big is quality of tire (casing) and pressure. Most people ride with too much pressure for the road conditions. Next time you notice the speed difference as you transition from a chip seal road to a smooth one you get an enhanced example of what difference tire quality and pressure can make. That speed difference I can prove by going from cheap tubulars to high quality tubeless clincher at low pressure. Difference #3 is body position and comfort. A coach at an indoor class I took a few years ago pointed out that when racers switched from a road bike to a tt/tri bike (indoors) he would typically see a 5-10% average power drop off because they had not adapted to the tt bike well. He looked at my data and noted that I did not happen to have that dropoff. But he also mentioned that switching bikes could amount to the same difference. I have no idea how much stiffness matters because any bike I had a power meter on was modern.
Old 08-21-19, 06:47 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Well, I wouldn't call her a rocket, but Ugly Betty proved pretty responsive tonight during my weekly speed drills. It was reminiscent of my first Basso Gap: easy to accelerate to 19-20 mph on the flats and stay there for 1-2 minutes. The handling will take some getting used to, as the steering is quite "twitchy," but I was feeling more at ease by the end of the ride. The AL fork telegraphed every road imperfection to the handlebars!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 08-22-19, 12:22 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
That taper on that down tube.. that thing gets yuge.
Old 08-22-19, 01:14 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by riva
That taper on that down tube.. that thing gets yuge.
Yup. The top tube has the opposite taper. Weird, huh? I think the older straight downtubes, even though quite large, look better. I bought this bike to be a parts donor, but may leave it as-is. I need a rain bike.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 08-22-19, 01:21 PM
audiomagnate

Originally Posted by horatio
Yup. The top tube has the opposite taper. Weird, huh? I think the older straight downtubes, even though quite large, look better. I bought this bike to be a parts donor, but may leave it as-is. I need a rain bike.
Here's an old one for reference, my 1990 3.0 Criterium.
Old 08-22-19, 02:19 PM
fasthair

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I've always liked this paint scheme on this bike. There are a few on the 'bay right now that are sadly not my size. (thankfully... I mean 6 C'Dale's are enough right... right?)

fasthair

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Here's an old one for reference, my 1990 3.0 Criterium.
Old 08-22-19, 03:04 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
They must have done the tapers for a good reason. Couldn't have been easy to produce those tubes.

As far as the "fast" thing, my guess is a perfect storm of 12 other variables are matching up better with the given cdale frame stiffness here than other bikes with less or more stiffness. And it does match for the way some folks ride and what setup they like to run. And for some folks not so much. Anyway enough of an effect for a second or two on a ride from what we're reading here.
Old 08-22-19, 03:24 PM
audiomagnate

They must have done the tapers for a good reason. Couldn't have been easy to produce those tubes.

As far as the "fast" thing, my guess is a perfect storm of 12 other variables are matching up better with the given cdale frame stiffness here than other bikes with less or more stiffness. And it does match for the way some folks ride and what setup they like to run. And for some folks not so much. Anyway enough of an effect for a second or two on a ride from what we're reading here.
If you read the old catalogs, those tapers were the result of computer modeling. The result was a lighter frame (2.8 pounds vs 3.0) and purportedly no loss of stiffness, although the 3.0 Crit frame is famous (and infamous) for being too stiff in the opinion of many (but not me, I think it's awesome). The lower end model had a steel fork which mitigated the jarring ride a bit.
Likes For audiomagnate:
Old 08-22-19, 03:34 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

I'd always heard the efficiency (vis-a-vis power) was due to stiffness from the short seat stays.

Old 08-22-19, 09:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
I definitely have fast bikes and slow bikes, but I don't understand why, either. My Lemond is my fastest. So here's a theory. When it has the 700c wheels, they are light, and the tires are narrow and light. I pull away from a stop, and the lightweight wheels make the bike seem light. Then when I get up to cruising speed, I happen to be in an aero position because the bars are lower than on my other bikes. At that point, it's the aero advantage that makes it fast. I get seriously better times on it than on my other bikes. But another factor is probably weighing in. Because it's fast, it's comfortable to ride at a higher level of effort. So it's not that it gives me more speed for a given effort. Rather, it encourages me to put in more effort. And the increased effort makes me go faster.

Does this make sense? It's all conjecture.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-23-19, 04:03 AM
audiomagnate

Originally Posted by noglider
I definitely have fast bikes and slow bikes, but I don't understand why, either. My Lemond is my fastest. So here's a theory. When it has the 700c wheels, they are light, and the tires are narrow and light. I pull away from a stop, and the lightweight wheels make the bike seem light. Then when I get up to cruising speed, I happen to be in an aero position because the bars are lower than on my other bikes. At that point, it's the aero advantage that makes it fast. I get seriously better times on it than on my other bikes. But another factor is probably weighing in. Because it's fast, it's comfortable to ride at a higher level of effort. So it's not that it gives me more speed for a given effort. Rather, it encourages me to put in more effort. And the increased effort makes me go faster.

Does this make sense? It's all conjecture.
That makes a lot of sense. Many times I hopped on my old 3.0 Crit racer and told myself, "no sense trying to break your Strava record on the kick around the corner, it's a long ride and you need to pace yourself." But two seconds after I clipped in that stupid grin would be on my face and I'd be giving it all I had on the very first segment after my driveway. With my more civilized Six that just doesn't happen.
Likes For audiomagnate:
Old 08-23-19, 06:13 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
I'd always heard the efficiency (vis-a-vis power) was due to stiffness from the short seat stays.
Most of the old C'Dale, and other early aluminum framed bikes, was due to using straight gauge tubing. In order to achieve the same stiffness as quality steel, double butted, tube sets, they had to use large diameter aluminum tubes. with modern tube manufacturing techniques the interior profiles and the tapers visible on the outside can be manipulated. Hydro-forming allows butting and other exotic interior profiles, as well as the unique tapers being done by CIM methods. The early C'Dales had some large down tubes and top tubes, and the stays had thick walls to keep them from being noodlely.

On my CAAD 10, you can actually press the down and top tubes with your thumb and see it flex in the larger diameter sections, away from the butting at the ends. Alloys and manucturing techniques have come a really long ways since the first Klein and Cannondale big tubed, stiff feeling types. But, I agree about how the large tubed bikes were appealing to look at, I drooled over a test of a prototype Klein in 1978 Bicycling magazine for several months.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-23-19, 07:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
Oh here's another theory. On my go-fast bike, I tend to wear tight-fitting cycling clothes. Not only do they cause less air drag, but because of the fit, they feel more comfortable while pedaling hard. I wouldn't call street clothes uncomfortable, but I suspect the little tugging on my body here and there is a very slight discouragement from pedaling my best.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-24-19, 10:15 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Likes For due ruote:
Old 08-24-19, 10:38 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
"Some is wasted flexing the frame"

coughcoughbull****coughcough
Old 08-24-19, 10:46 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh here's another theory. On my go-fast bike, I tend to wear tight-fitting cycling clothes. Not only do they cause less air drag, but because of the fit, they feel more comfortable while pedaling hard. I wouldn't call street clothes uncomfortable, but I suspect the little tugging on my body here and there is a very slight discouragement from pedaling my best.
This and what you wrote before says the most significant thing you can do to go fast is all in the mental prep. I totally buy into that.

For many, a bike can trigger that drive. For me, it depends on who I'm riding with. One day I can be plooting along with some folks and the next I'm with a bunch of hammerheads doing a pr with the same bike.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-24-19, 01:29 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Eggzactly why I like the early overbuilt ones. They really are pretty much bullet-proof. 👍
Old 08-27-19, 08:07 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
If it were red, it would go even faster.

I cannot seem to go slow on my bike. No, really, I have tried. I say to myself, let's just go for a nice slow ride today. Then, as soon as I get on, it's like starting an engine. It just GOES! [/b]
I have the same problem; very hot outside, take it easy; but NO! Got heat exhaustion from that once! I have to ride the 55 lb Raleigh 3 speed to "go slow" for me (13-15 MPH); then I put some toe clips on it and away I go again; I put LOOK pedals one it one time for an informal "bike shop criterium" (and I mean informal; everything to my 3 speed to tandems, all ages, and a pub stop [well for me anyways, others waited to finish]) and ended up beating quite a few (adult riders) on race frames when I was just "mucking about" (I think they were also!). I don't think I averaged 20 MPH (probably 17-18 with stops included; many "sprints" out of the saddle to beat traffic lights), but I rode over 20 miles on it and didn't realize the distance covered or time elapsed. Rode it like the "Wicked Witch of the West", a little hunched over with a purpose in mind! What bike did she ride in that movie? Margaret Hamilton, I think.

Certainly my best times/speed come on any bike that I've got set up for my body to be in a good aerodynamic racing posture, and staying in the drops as much as my back and wrists can handle; it doesn't seem to matter much on the weight (20-22 pounders) since I tend to turn at the same crank rpm's on any race bike I have given the same gear ratio(s). I don't usually ride with a cycling shirt so I'm sure that the clothing fit would help or hinder depending on what I wear. When doing my interval or TT type rides I'll always wear the body hugging attire.

Hard to go slow!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.