Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 08-25-19, 09:21 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
A couple of weekends ago I was riding with my riding buddy. He's really gotten good. It was the weekend after my first week of dieting. For whatever reason after about 2 miles there is a stop light and Once it turns green he always drops me. I've said it before but he can really accelerate to speed quickly and with very smooth pedaling. I'm not necessarily a big gear masher but I just have a slower cadence. Anyways, generally I catch up but Not this time. My legs had a huge lactic acid burn. Why? Then usually after our turn around he'll accelerate again and I'll catch him again. But this time he dropped me before turn around and once again trying to catch him I had lactic acid build up from hell. So we get to turn around and I decide I'm gonna accelerate (which BTW he usually does after turn around) but same thing again and this time he goes flying by me. With about 4 miles to go I usually drop him then initial stop light then drop him again. But Not this time he poured it on me and serious lactic BURN again. I resigned myself to I'm having a bad day or this kid is really getting good. Later that night after evaluating my self I couldn't help but think it was my Diet.
The next weekend, feeling pretty confident he wants to ride again but (fortunately) I was out of town for my beautiful daughters wedding. So we didn't ride together. I went quickly off my diet that weekend then in and out of it thru this week. Also I didn't train at all. My schedule got a little mixed up and I didn't swim, bike, run, or lift weights. So now the weekend comes and he's ready to ride with me or whip me again. We rode only 20 miles I wasn't scheduled to ride only run so we split the difference and I ran afterwards. Anyways the world was in balance again as I was able to drop him the last 4 miles.
I just can't help but think it was my diet. I never get that kind of burn except early in the season and climbing. I googled it and apparently no evidence of it. So back to the diet I am.

So today I got my '89 summertime blues ready except for tubes and tires. Wallymrt used to sell some road tires that I've been wanting to try but I couldn't find them this time. Instead it was similar road tires but with "25% more flat protection" and they were just Too Heavy. Speaking of which my '89 STB Ironman is really Light without the tires. I'd say on par with my 20lb Carbon Ironman. I really believe the Masters are lighter than the experts.
I'm so anxious to get some tires. But I may be getting new wheels next weekend so I'll have to be patient.
Ok later Irongents, keep those freewheels spinning and don't let Nobody pass you without a Fight.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-25-19 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 12:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
...generally I catch up but Not this time. My legs had a huge lactic acid burn. Why? Then usually after our turn around he'll accelerate again and I'll catch him again. But this time he dropped me before turn around and once again trying to catch him I had lactic acid build up from hell. So we get to turn around and I decide I'm gonna accelerate (which BTW he usually does after turn around) but same thing again and this time he goes flying by me. With about 4 miles to go I usually drop him then initial stop light then drop him again. But Not this time he poured it on me and serious lactic BURN again. I resigned myself to I'm having a bad day or this kid is really getting good. Later that night after evaluating my self I couldn't help but think it was my Diet...
...I went quickly off my diet that weekend then in and out of it thru this week. Also I didn't train at all. My schedule got a little mixed up and I didn't swim, bike, run, or lift weights. So now the weekend comes and he's ready to ride with me or whip me again. We rode only 20 miles I wasn't scheduled to ride only run so we split the difference and I ran afterwards. Anyways the world was in balance again as I was able to drop him the last 4 miles.
I just can't help but think it was my diet. I never get that kind of burn except early in the season and climbing. I googled it and apparently no evidence of it. So back to the diet I am.
Yeah, it's puzzling how the body reacts to diet and rest. It doesn't always match the expert recommendations.

I know I'm not as strong as I was a couple of years ago, but I've lost weight so my times and average speeds are about the same, occasionally a little better on some climbing segments.

Besides losing weight I've also tried a bunch of supplements. I can't vouch for some -- like DHEA, pregnenolone and ajuga turkest extract for ecdysterone -- but creatine has definitely made a difference. I don't do enough weight training to notice any difference in the short term high intensity efforts attributed to creatine.

But I do notice the difference in the closest equivalent I can do on a bike -- sprints, especially short, steep, punchy climbs. I recover more quickly from that thigh burn.

Creatine causes some water retention and I can see and feel a little puffiness after pre-loading before a big ride. Maybe 2-3 lbs of extra water. Not a bad thing for coping with summer dehydration and it seems to have helped on some 50-60 mile rides this summer. And the extra water reportedly helps with joint and muscle health -- preventing injury and encouraging strength gain after a good workout.

I'm also needing, and trying to get, more rest. I can't do just 3-6 hours of sleep anymore. I took that for granted for decades but it doesn't work now.

And I've changed up my training, from trying to ride 5-6 times a week to 3-4 rides. I'll try to do one higher intensity ride in the tempo/cardio range. But the rest are well below threshold, although I can't resist one or two harder short efforts to try for a new personal best on a favorite segment up to a mile long.

Maybe just a coincidence, but two or three times this past week I logged some of my fastest times on a 20 mile training route that I've ridden hundreds of times.

I'm still not fast even within my 60+ age group, but there are some seriously strong and fast older guys in this area. But occasionally on a good day I can match or beat their times over a short distance, up to 5 miles or so. I just can't hang on to that high effort for more than 30 miles.

And to keep it topical, I still prefer the Ironman over the Trekenstein for those longer group rides. It's more comfortable and not significantly slower with the exception of occasional longish climbs. The Trekenstein is fun and fast over smooth pavement and 20-30 miles rides. But for those 50-60 mile club rides I still prefer the Ironman.
Old 08-26-19, 03:58 AM
texaspandj

Speaking of keeping it on topic, he was on his '88 Ironman master and I was on my "87 Ironman expert both rides.
I don't use any supplements and or fortunate I'm not on any meds what so ever. But reportedly the creatine in bulk from Asia have been found to contain some steroids. Which makes me want to try it.
My wife on the other hand is always trying new stuff like protein shakes, and pre workout performance enhancers....etc. I don't know why I just don't believe in them. I can drink 5 cups of coffee and go straight to sleep, maybe that has something to do with my perception. However I know I can take allergy meds and it'll knock me right out so maybe I should give those type of performance boosters a go.
On my regular rides I only drink water. And on my long rides (50+) when I stop to refill my bottles I'll get some sweet tea at the 25 mile mark. There just happens to be a fried chicken place there.
Longer than 50 it's peanut butter crackers and a Coke at any convenience store.
Speaking of diet. My wife is always trying the latest, newest thing. Not me, I can eat the same thing day inand day out and not get bored provided I like it. Which on my diet I don't. Not a huge fan of tuna, or salads I have for lunch or dinner. But my morning hot ceresl of oatmeal or cream of wheat, I love. Probably because I use sugar and it's my only sugar for the day!
Later Irongents.
Old 08-29-19, 11:48 AM
texaspandj

Check out these deals. I missed the groupset. Just as well as I intend to put dura Ace 7700 9 speed on my '89 Ironman. But I would have been happy with the ultegra road bike components for a while. However I did snag the matching wheelset today. https://austin.craigslist.org/bop/d/...948154868.html
Old 08-29-19, 03:13 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Just picked up my Ebay bike today. (Miami Vice). Rough shape. Husband says we're going to tear her down completely before he'll even let me consider riding it. (Which makes sense since the seat is probably the original and the tires are cracked in half in spots.) So back on the Shogun for my race next weekend. I was cool with riding it until I felt how much easier the Centurion is to move, not to mention it weighs at least 6 pounds less.

Oh the rust! I'll be spending some quality time with my sander and dremel tool. Thankfully, all the mechanical stuff looks fine.
Old 08-29-19, 04:28 PM
texaspandj

So this is about as basic of a setup I can do. It looks original but I fact it is a slight upgrade from the oem Shimano 6400 tricolor 600. The crankset, brake calipers, and front and rear derailleurs are from a 8 speed with brifters cannondale. Instead of 6400, the calipers and derailleurs are 6401. The shifters and crankset are 6400. The saddle is selle italia tri shock, and I have inner tube wrap to match, along with the wailmart black cables.
I have a cool vintage white saddle and thinking about white cable housing and white old school wrap...but not sure yet. This Ironman will probably remain the same unless I get a Shimano 7 speed brifter set. But eventually I plan on getting a Dura Ace 7700 (9 speed) rear derailleur, brifters and crankset.
Currently my '86 Ironman is 6 speed. My '87 Ironman is 7 speed. My '88 Ironman is 8 speed. This '89 Ironman is 7 speed but gonna make it 9 speed. And BTW , If I ever get my hands on an '85 Ironman it's gonna be a 10 speed wireless. Later Irongents.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-29-19 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 07:21 PM
texaspandj

Doh! Here's the pic.
This is my only 52cm. My other three Ironman are 54cm. My riding buddy also has a 52cm Ironman Master that I sold him. We're about the same size however his saddle is set considerably lower. Meanwhile my saddle is maxed out. I'm totally comfortable riding the hoods. And no problem riding the drops. Not surprisingly it shifts well, handles well, is relatively light and I like it. I really want some brifters for it but not having them is gonna make me push faster to get the Dura Ace 7700 mini group.
Despite appearances, the only original parts are the frame, headset, bottom bracket and wheels. BTW, the wheels are Hyper glide (HG) 7 speed cassette 13-21.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-29-19 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-29-19, 07:59 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Still lookin' for that 85' , Tony .
Old 08-29-19, 08:09 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by markwesti
Still lookin' for that 85' , Tony .
Oh it's gonna happen brother. Then it'll sit another 2 years till I can afford the wireless group for it.

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-29-19 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-29-19, 08:13 PM
markwesti

Not mine and I don't know the owner . OK , it's a Diamond Back . Ironman's young brother , nice Tri set up and a friendly price , wonky seat / post . What tubing did these ones have ?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...965318466.html

Old 08-29-19, 08:14 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Spotted this smoke painted Diamondback Centurion at a small bike shop. Tange 2 with Shimano Exage 500. Except for new saddle and tires, all original. Sale tag at $125.

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 08-29-19, 08:21 PM
markwesti

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Spotted this smoke painted Diamondback Centurion at a small bike shop. Tange 2 with Shimano Exage 500. Except for new saddle and tires, all original. Sale tag at $125.

OK , that jogged a brain cell loose . A guy was talking about his Interval DB the other day , but the one I found is a DB Master TG .
Old 08-30-19, 10:22 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Not mine and I don't know the owner . OK , it's a Diamond Back . Ironman's young brother , nice Tri set up and a friendly price , wonky seat / post . What tubing did these ones have ?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...965318466.html

My 90 Expert has Tange OS Short Taper tubing, I believe the Expert and the Master had the same tubing just a component difference Master=105, Expert=RX100

Last edited by fleslider; 08-30-19 at 10:37 PM.
Likes For fleslider:
Old 08-31-19, 09:28 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Just picked up my Ebay bike today. (Miami Vice). Rough shape. Husband says we're going to tear her down completely before he'll even let me consider riding it. (Which makes sense since the seat is probably the original and the tires are cracked in half in spots.) So back on the Shogun for my race next weekend. I was cool with riding it until I felt how much easier the Centurion is to move, not to mention it weighs at least 6 pounds less.

Oh the rust! I'll be spending some quality time with my sander and dremel tool. Thankfully, all the mechanical stuff looks fine.
Cool.
We're all just waiting on some PICS.
Old 08-31-19, 12:54 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Cool.
We're all just waiting on some PICS.
I can't post pictures until I get to ten posts...I'm working on it!
Old 08-31-19, 06:02 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I can't post pictures until I get to ten posts...I'm working on it!
Welcome to the Ironman junkie group. Where are you from? Robbie Tunes praises got me to start looking for a Ironman and I now have a granddaughter and sister in law riding them. SIL has a Miami Vice like yours. Its good to see more ladies riding what we consider cool bikes.
Old 08-31-19, 07:32 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by TXsailor
Welcome to the Ironman junkie group. Where are you from? Robbie Tunes praises got me to start looking for a Ironman and I now have a granddaughter and sister in law riding them. SIL has a Miami Vice like yours. Its good to see more ladies riding what we consider cool bikes.
Thank you!

I'm in New Hampshire, right on the Massachusetts border. I started looking for a "new" bike to do triathlons with because my Shogun 200 wasn't cutting it, and came across the Ironman and located/purchased one within two days. I'm one of those folks who doesn't want new--I appreciate bikes that are almost as old as I am. Although, my husband is complaining that we're going to have to build a rack in the garage to store the extra bikes... And he doesn't want to riding his because I blew out a tire the last time I rode it.
Old 09-02-19, 08:45 AM
texaspandj

Man my schedule is changing again beginning this month. Also a change for my 4 year old daughter. She'll start preschool this week. It's basically a parents day out twice a week. It's curriculum based and she'll have more time to socialize with kids her age instead of me who acts her age. So more ABCs and less Arm bars, Boxing and Confidence training. My youngest daughter is so sweet, smart, and strong willed. She'll actually be 5 years old this month. I'm missing her already. She's my side kick and little partner. She laughs at the same jokes I laugh at (which probably says more about me than her) and pretty much likes the same things I like. She has a great memory and Loves music. Like me, she can tell you who's singing a new song she never heard before by their voice. But like me she can't hear herself singing flat.
There are obvious upsides to her being in a school environment and upsides for me having 5 hours of free time twice a week. More time to ride and run longer distances in preparation for the half Ironman triathlon at the end of next month, etc, etc. But the only drawback and biggest drawback is I won't know what she's doing every second of the day. Well at least it's only 10 hours a week. My beautiful oldest daughter says you'll get used to it and learn to appreciate that get away time Dad. Yeah but as an older dad you tend to be more grandfather like than dad like. I was 51 when she was born and I've been a stay at home dad/trophy husband ever since.
Here's my new training schedule. Swimming Monday -Thursday 30 to 45 minutes. Biking Mon,Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sun 18-60 miles. Running Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat 4 to 12 miles. Weight lifting 2 says a week. I've not set in stone what what distances I'll do each day. I'm still processing.
Finally here's a pic of me and my daughter. I call her Boomer.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 09-02-19, 11:10 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts

If this was a 58, I’d be in the car right now.
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...969375932.html
Old 09-02-19, 11:26 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Classtime

If this was a 58, I’d be in the car right now.
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...969375932.html
My favorite year Ironman '86.
Stem and wrap not original.
Old 09-02-19, 02:29 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Finally! Enough posts. Here she is. Any advice on where to even begin with restoration would be awesome.

I already have a new seat and tires/tubes.

It looks bad, but everything seems to still be solid.
Old 09-02-19, 02:39 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 280 Posts
I've had a couple of 'Miami Vice' Ironmen pass through my hands and they both looked like they'd been ridden into the ground.
The 1050/1055 group is one of my all-time favorites, and maybe the best bang for the buck group ever.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-02-19, 02:45 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by top506
I've had a couple of 'Miami Vice' Ironmen pass through my hands and they both looked like they'd been ridden into the ground.
The 1050/1055 group is one of my all-time favorites, and maybe the best bang for the buck group ever.

I'm fully prepared to strip and rebuild the entire bike. The components seem original, so maybe it's time to upgrade to shimano 600s from the 105s. I'll bring it to my auto body shop and get the paint color matched before I touch any of it. It's a starting point.
Old 09-02-19, 03:23 PM
texaspandj

My number one concern would be to see if that seatpost is stuck @TriBiker19 .
If not I'd remove all parts/components down to the bare frame. Then I'd start with the frame first. Cleaning and Treating (removing) all rust, either by rust removal naval gel or sanding. Then touch up paint.
Next components. Clean and disassemble them. Grease or lube and go from there. To be clear not all components need to be completely disassembled, sometimes scrubbing with wd40 will do wonders.
It's all a process but it can be very rewarding. The 105 group will serve you well as its durable, precise and very smooth.
To modernize, I'd lose the tri bars and put bull horn bars with aerobar attachments.
Need any help were all here and probably we could send you parts you may need along the way....enough to build a new Ironman!
Old 09-02-19, 06:09 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

My number one concern would be to see if that seatpost is stuck @TriBiker19 .
If not I'd remove all parts/components down to the bare frame. Then I'd start with the frame first. Cleaning and Treating (removing) all rust, either by rust removal naval gel or sanding. Then touch up paint.
Next components. Clean and disassemble them. Grease or lube and go from there. To be clear not all components need to be completely disassembled, sometimes scrubbing with wd40 will do wonders.
It's all a process but it can be very rewarding. The 105 group will serve you well as its durable, precise and very smooth.
To modernize, I'd lose the tri bars and put bull horn bars with aerobar attachments.
Need any help were all here and probably we could send you parts you may need along the way....enough to build a new Ironman!
It is. We'll be starting there. My husband is a very determined man with a variety of chemicals, lots of muscle, and different sized wrenches at his disposal.

I'm thinking that I might go non-traditional and get the whole thing painted the correct magenta and then do a vinyl wrap for the yellow, especially since the yellow is the downtube which will be getting wet (I'm actually going to use this in tris). I like the idea of a contiguous paint job. I'm not a fan of those tri bars, but I'll look into a more modern set--thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like to add a front brake, too. My first good bike was an 84' Fuji and I'm currently riding an '85 Shogun...I'm used to front brakes.

I have to ask, there's a small nub of metal behind the part of the tube between the fork and the top tube (I have no idea what it's called) that protrudes back. I've seen it on other ironman bikes--what is it? What's it for? Can I remove it?

My husband has rebuilt bikes as a kid/teen so this is nothing new to him, but I think he's loving having a project he can do with my boys (9 & 10) that's not a bike his brother destroyed riding over their homemade ramps.

Once he gets the seat post out, can I swap it with anything else or do we *need* to use this one?

I'm really relying on the experts on this forum to help me out. I don't need this to be original, I want a functional bike that I can ride for its intended use and enjoy. I want to be the person riding the vintage bike and proving that you don't have to pay $8k for a bike to have a good one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.