Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thumb Shifters - mount under bar?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 09:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

I'm looking into possibly using a thumb shifter for my 1x8 rebuild, instead of the larger trigger type. So far in my Googling I've almost universally seen them mounted on the bar so that the shifter is on the top. Is it possible to mount it so the thumb lever is underneath the bar - kind of hidden by the brake lever body? I've only seen it once or twice in various image searches.
I haven't picked out any thumb shifters yet - but am on the lookout for an indexed 8-speed shifter.
Do you think it would be hard to operate this type of shifter if it were mounted there - I mean, can you push it backwards with your finger (its obviously easy to push forward with your thumb)?
I'm not against using the larger trigger type shifter, but am looking for a more elegant solution if possible.
Old 10-01-19, 05:18 AM
SidDunn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shift levers

I use grip shift now but I used levers before. It was a great and easy setup. They were not indexed so that the cable length was adjusted at each derailer so that the levers are perfectly placed under the bars between first finger and thumb. Great working set up. Just remember, the left lever has to go on right side and right lever to the left side. I would be using that setup again when Grip Shift breaks.
Old 10-01-19, 06:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I'm looking into possibly using a thumb shifter for my 1x8 rebuild, instead of the larger trigger type. So far in my Googling I've almost universally seen them mounted on the bar so that the shifter is on the top. Is it possible to mount it so the thumb lever is underneath the bar - kind of hidden by the brake lever body? I've only seen it once or twice in various image searches.
I haven't picked out any thumb shifters yet - but am on the lookout for an indexed 8-speed shifter.
Do you think it would be hard to operate this type of shifter if it were mounted there - I mean, can you push it backwards with your finger (its obviously easy to push forward with your thumb)?
I'm not against using the larger trigger type shifter, but am looking for a more elegant solution if possible.
That is the way that under the bar shifting started, after all. Some people were hanging the shifters under the bar (way) back in the day. Shimano decided this was a better way of doing it and put on longer levers and two of them.

It does work but it’s also a bit clumsy. The lever on a thumb shifter is a bit short so it’s harder to find when shifting under the bar. On the other hand, modern under the bar dual lever shifters are just about perfect and probably easier to find.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-01-19, 09:47 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
I like friction thumb shifters and have one for a 1x8 set up. the top of the bar position is totally natural and easy to use..... I don't see the objection to that position.. Also to be considered it that depending on the shifter the bolting set up may be less than elegant....not looking good if you put the shifters on the bottom of the bar YMMV

Old 10-01-19, 05:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
If they are friction shifters, I imagine that you could swap left and right, if I'm thinking correctly.
Old 10-04-19, 06:26 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
It depends on the shifter, I suppose, but I think mounting them upside down would mean they would be more likely to collect water.