Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help! Newbie looking for bike for partner

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 03:55 PM
anthonylangford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all! I'm looking for a bike which will be my partner's first road bike. She's 5'8" in height and has an inseam of 81cm (measured with riding shoes on). From what I gather a 21" or 54cm frame would be a good fit so I found a few options.

I'm leaning towards the Miyatas but the Bianchi looks nice as well. Which of these do you guys think is the best?

edit: It appears I can't post links yet so I included the search term that can be put into the Toronto Craigslist.

west-toronto-vintage-bicycle-bianchi
etobicoke-miyata-12-speed-triple
st-catharines-miyata-12-speed-road-bike

Thanks everyone!
Anthony

edit: A lugged steel frame would be ideal - a solid, smooth bike for a casual rider.

Last edited by anthonylangford; 10-06-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 04:59 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by anthonylangford
Hi all! I'm looking for a bike which will be my partner's first road bike. She's 5'8" in height. From what I gather a 21" or 54cm frame would be a good fit so I found a few options.

I'm leaning towards the Miyatas but the Bianchi looks nice as well. Which of these do you guys think is the best?

edit: It appears I can't post links yet so I included the search term that can be put into the Toronto Craigslist.

west-toronto-vintage-bicycle-bianchi
etobicoke-miyata-12-speed-triple
st-catharines-miyata-12-speed-road-bike

Thanks everyone!
Anthony
Hello and welcome to the forums.

This one? https://toronto.craigslist.org/tor/b...987431992.html

This Miyata? https://toronto.craigslist.org/tor/b...957385731.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 09-29-19 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 05:20 PM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes! Those are the ones - thank you for posting the links for me. Looking at your name, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are for the Bianchi?
Old 10-01-19, 08:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Interested in a Pinarello? Found this one recently and really do not need another road bike.
Old 10-01-19, 09:23 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
You don't really say what you are looking for specifically (C&V or more modern). Good bikes pop up all the time (I just sold a Nishiki Landau Tri A for $250 on Sunday that was 21 inch. )

If you don't like what Randy has (and I've never heard of anyone complaining about what he sold them), pop on the Go train to Hamilton.

These might need some work (can't really tell from the Apollo photo)

Horrible picture but that maybe why it didn't sell. Needs new tape and has no hoods.

Apollo for $200
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ha...ationFlag=true

Norco Avanti $160 looks like an older bike in Ok shape
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ha...ationFlag=true

Fiori Roma "$249" OBO but seller started at $340 so probably been on sale for a long long time. Seller lists all it has, looks like a bit of a frankenbike but that might work in your favour. Bike described as excellent condition but actually dirty and generally worn.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0661905208567/

If you can wait another month when snow hits prices will drop....
Old 10-01-19, 09:30 AM
WGB 
WGB

@wrk101

Just remember you have to multiply the Canadian price by .76 to get USD so a $200 Canadian bike is 152 USD. We sometimes see really nice prices but you have to get well outside of Toronto or any other major Canadian city for that to happen. I sold a Terry bike to a woman who drove down to meet me because in Toronto it was a $350 bike but I wanted $250. Since most people won't leave the city they live in and feel comfortable in they have to pay that big city premium.
Old 10-01-19, 10:12 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Wow, those Toronto prices are CRAZY!

Bianchi has sucky Suntour indexed shifting, which is undesirable and obsolete.

Miyata has friction Shimano 105, so no index shifting.

Miyata ad is extremely old, so I guess pricing is high for even Toronto. Maybe seller is motivated??

This one looks like a better deal, nothing special, but indexed Shimano shifting, and a lower price for Toronto.....
@wrk101 Looks like the Fiori moderna listing was deleted. Indexed shifting would be ideal. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by anthonylangford; 10-01-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-01-19, 10:39 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
You don't really say what you are looking for specifically (C&V or more modern). Good bikes pop up all the time (I just sold a Nishiki Landau Tri A for $250 on Sunday that was 21 inch. )

If you don't like what Randy has (and I've never heard of anyone complaining about what he sold them), pop on the Go train to Hamilton.

Horrible picture but that maybe why it didn't sell. Needs new tape and has no hoods.

Apollo for $200

Fiori Roma "$249" OBO but seller started at $340 so probably been on sale for a long long time. Seller lists all it has, looks like a bit of a frankenbike but that might work in your favour. Bike described as excellent condition but actually dirty and generally worn.

Thanks for finding these! I didn't think to look in Facebook's marketplace. The ideal bike, considering a budget of around $400, has a lugged steel frame, indexed shifters, and clipless pedals. A solid bike with a smooth ride for a casual rider. Waiting until the snow hits is a good idea - cheers!
Old 10-01-19, 10:44 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB

Apollo for $200

@WGB Thanks for finding these! I didn't think to look in Facebook's marketplace. The ideal bike, considering a budget of around $400, has a lugged steel frame, indexed shifters, and clipless pedals. A solid bike with a smooth ride for a casual rider. Waiting another month until the snow hits is a great idea - cheers!
Old 10-01-19, 10:54 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@randyjawa This is a beautiful bike! I tried sending you a message but private messaging is restricted for newbies like myself with less than 10 posts. What size is the frame and how much are you asking for?
Old 10-01-19, 11:29 AM
WGB 
WGB

Anthony

I just sent you a PM but guess you can't read them until you have the 10 posts. I suggested that Randy's bike might be sweet. If that doesn't work my email is 1962wgb@gmail.com as might be able to point you in the right area.

Wesley
Likes For WGB:
Old 10-01-19, 11:48 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@WGB Randy's bike seems fantastic. I am trying to connect with him. Thanks for your help, Wesley.
Old 10-01-19, 01:28 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
This is a beautiful bike! I tried sending you a message but private messaging is restricted for newbies like myself with less than 10 posts. What size is the frame and how much are you asking for?
Thanks for the interest and please go to my website and contact me through that email vehicle. We can discuss the potential purchase there, if you wish. If you decide to purchase the bike, I will list it on the For Sale forum, in keeping with Bike Forums rules, as you can purchase it from me there.

I hope this is a help and when you do contact me through my website, I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
Old 10-03-19, 07:06 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Yes, Canadian discount is real. But on those bike, I could multiply by 0.50 and they would still be high. Now I recognize Toronto is one of the highest priced markets out there. There is a Firenze listed for $180 right now, which is the definition of pure crap.

To the OP, in a hot market like yours, a realistically (to me) priced bike is not going to last long. Heck, someone may well buy it and resell it for double the price. +10 FB marketplace here still has some DEALS.

The other thing to look for is to pay attention to the components. Most buyers just focus on brands they have heard of. Meanwhile, private label brands, or obscure bike shop brands, can make the best deals out there. The private label stuff in the 1970s tended to be junk, but by the 1980s, many were pretty good.
It definitely seems to be one of the highest priced markets out there. I'd say you're spot on in saying that there are a good number of folks who are making a living flipping bicycles and who know a good deal as soon as they see one. That, in combination with Toronto being an incredibly bike-friendly city with more and more buyers looking for a nice bike, makes for a solid amount of demand with a relatively sparse supply.

To your point about niche components, as one of those folks who doesn't know enough to be able to discern a quality component with just my own eyes yet, I tend to gravitate towards components that I know have been vetted by the community. That being said, I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the information!

Regards,
Anthony

Last edited by anthonylangford; 10-06-19 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 08:56 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone have any information on Suteki bikes? There is on Facebook marketplace for $250. The link below can be copied onto the original facebook URL to see it.

/marketplace/item/1721123084687710

Last edited by anthonylangford; 10-04-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 09:08 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Sekai made some solid bikes. There are folks on here that are quite expert on them. They will chime in soon.
Old 10-03-19, 01:22 PM
WGB 
WGB

I think you are at nine posts. One more and you can check your emails (and you can email others on here). Once you've hit the magic ten you can also post exactly what you want and someone here might have that bike. I am not soliciting a sale as I don't have any small racers for sale right now.

Check Buffalo CL
A lot of people here would call this a very nice riding bike but doesn't have clipless (easy and cheap add) or index shifters (not quite so easy or cheap to add)
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/d...967252594.html

Last edited by WGB; 10-03-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 04:23 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Does anyone have any information on Sakai bikes? There is on Facebook marketplace for $250. The link below can be copied onto the original facebook URL to see it.

/marketplace/item/1721123084687710
It says Suteki and not Sekai? Suteki was sold at Sears, I hear.
Old 10-03-19, 08:42 PM
WGB 
WGB

I checked the co-op in Buffalo and there was the Bridgestone RB-1 ($400usd) which is more with exchange and duty than you budgeted though of course a seriously good bike and a Terry (didn't get model) for $200usd. Neither had the pedals you want but a very cheap upgrade. Even if you assume 50% more with exchange and duty the Terry might be a good choice at approximately $300 Canadian.

If you know anyone in Hamilton they could check New Hope bike co-op and there might be deals there as it has a good reputation.

Alternatively as I have said before winter is coming and winter does bring deals on C&V.
Old 10-03-19, 11:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
@randyjawa This is a beautiful bike! I tried sending you a message but private messaging is restricted for newbies like myself with less than 10 posts. What size is the frame and how much are you asking for?
That Pinarello appears to me to be a 56 or 57cm, and is moderately larger than the two bikes you had listed.

If your partner is 5'8, she can probably ride it, but it is slightly on the tall side.
Old 10-03-19, 11:53 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by WGB
I think the Norco may be on the large side.
The Apollo is a good size. maybe slightly small, but very close.

It has cantis which indicates it is probably the touring model. Probably slightly heavier than the road model, but with wider gearing stock, and allowing a greater variety of tire sizes. '

Anyway, it certainly is worth considering, and still leaves some money in the budget for some upgrades.
Old 10-04-19, 12:01 AM
CliffordK

I kind of like this LeCroco.

https://toronto.craigslist.org/tor/b...977197049.html

The seller isn't listing a fixed price, but the bike apparently isn't selling quickly either. Unfortunately the seller seems to have a price in mind, but doesn't want to share it.

I'm thinking that "Hilarious" would be my offer.
Old 10-04-19, 05:26 PM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
It says Suteki and not Sekai? Suteki was sold at Sears, I hear.
Sorry - typo! Good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-06-19, 08:34 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I checked the co-op in Buffalo and there was the Bridgestone RB-1 ($400usd) which is more with exchange and duty than you budgeted though of course a seriously good bike and a Terry (didn't get model) for $200usd. Neither had the pedals you want but a very cheap upgrade. Even if you assume 50% more with exchange and duty the Terry might be a good choice at approximately $300 Canadian.

If you know anyone in Hamilton they could check New Hope bike co-op and there might be deals there as it has a good reputation.

Alternatively as I have said before winter is coming and winter does bring deals on C&V.
Funny you mention that! Coincidentally, my 1993 Specialized Allez Pro was bumped into and the seat stay is bent so I am also looking for a bike for myself. I adored that frame (the fork not so much) and am looking for another 56cm that is a solid, smooth ride. I am going to message you now about the RB-1. Hopefully it can fit either myself or the lady as those are wonderful bikes.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-19, 08:34 AM
anthonylangford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I kind of like this LeCroco.

https://toronto.craigslist.org/tor/b...977197049.html

The seller isn't listing a fixed price, but the bike apparently isn't selling quickly either. Unfortunately the seller seems to have a price in mind, but doesn't want to share it.

I'm thinking that "Hilarious" would be my offer.
This may be out of my budget

Last edited by anthonylangford; 10-06-19 at 10:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.