Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

ToMoS roadster..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 01:37 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
ToMoS roadster..?

While at the Bicycles for Humanity donation venues today, the fellow running the work shop asked if this old bike was worth offering to the vintage bicycle community. On the seat tube decal, the work ToMoS was pictured in stylized fashion (not sure how to describe the Mona Lisa either). The lovely chrome fenders and matching chain guard caught my attention first, followed by the cottered crank and then Balillia side pull front brake.

Anyway, I would appreciate knowing something about the bike and, perhaps its value, so that I can advise the shop leader at Bicycles for Humanity...

Old 10-02-19, 05:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Hello Randy,

Thanks for posting this curio.

New-to-me marque so cannot comment on name.

Frame constructed with Agrati bulge-formed head, Agrati seat lug and shell.

The crown is a massive sandcast thingus with prominent parting line flash. Ugliness covered by a cap from Agrati. This crown and cap were employed by MCB on some of their lower models. "Ususally" lower model MCB products exhibit lugless frame construction.

Do not think it Italian however.

Joining of taper tubes to ends not something one would encounter from that land.

Suspect cycle to be of northern european origin, most likely Germany.

Could also be from Denmark, Norway or Sweden.

Suspect the machine's Agrati shell will be BSC dimension.

The stamped sheet handlebar stem is not something typically seen on Italian products.

The coaster brake hub is likely to be Fichtel & Sachs/Torpedo brand.

If you have a chance to examine it again see if you are able to read the markings on the dustcaps of the bow pedals.

They are likely to be either Union or Weco.

Thanks again for posting, a fun find!

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-02-19 at 05:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-03-19, 06:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Tomos was a Slovenian brand of bicycles, scooters and motorcycles imported into Canada in the very late 1960s and 1970s. I believe they were distributed by Fred Deeley.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-04-19, 01:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Thanks so much T-Mar!

The Slovenian origin explains the presence of the cycle's Italian bits; next door neighbours.

-----
Old 03-20-21, 07:16 PM
Wanderin420

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Value

Hey i was wondering if you had found a value of your bike. Mine is identical minus the seat which i believe to be original due to being feom Italian San Marco brand
Old 03-21-21, 01:08 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Actually, I never bought the bike. It was donated to Bicycles 4 Humanity, a bicycle charity group that sends bikes to Africa, and I was trying to find a buyer on their behalf.

To determine a price, one needs to know where the bike is located, condition and size. If I were going to buy that bike, $50.00 CND would be what I would pay. I would refurbish it and sell it for no less than $200.00 in my area. Hope that is a help but remember, location has a lot to do with price. In Toronto, for example, such a bike might fetch $300 CND or more.