Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jocelyn Lovell

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Jocelyn Lovell

Old 10-04-19, 11:46 AM
Keady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jocelyn Lovell

Looking for information regarding Lovell bikes. As I am new to the forum I can't post pictures
I have one that was painted by him and uses Nishiki seat stays but the head tube lugs don't look like nishiki and the serial number has been punched out.
Any information or websites would be appreciated
Old 10-04-19, 12:13 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 620 Posts
First, if you are sure it has Nishiki logo on the seat stays, then its very likely a Nishiki. Did Jocelyn actually paint that bike? He was a quadriplegic after a tragic accident in 1983. But someone into Canadian bicycle history would know a lot more.

Secondly, Nishiki was a marketing company. Their bikes were made by others. So is a Giant built Nishiki a Nishiki, or is it a Giant? Is a Kawamura built Nishiki a Nishiki or a Kawamura?

I have three Panasonic built Schwinns. Are they "Schwinns" or are they Panasonics? Certainly all of the construction details are Panasonic.

These marketing companies had the freedom to move from manufacturer to manufacturer, based on getting the best deal, or for any reason. So Nishiki had some great bikes. "Nishiki" didn't have just one head tube lug design. I've seen several different head tube lugs, made by different companies, all branded "Nishiki".

In the world of bike detective, typically a serial number at best will tell you original manufacturer and year. It will not tell you model. Nor will it tell you the brand it was marketed under. So my Panasonic Schwinns have a Panasonic serial number. If not for the Schwinn head badge and decals, you would not know it was a Schwinn.

Reproduction decals can be relatively easy to make so there are a number of fakes out there. If yours is the real deal, then its rare and special!!

Serial number punched out has a certain "fakeness" about it.

Last edited by wrk101; 10-04-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 12:22 PM
Keady

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the information. There are no decals on the bike just the seat stay stamped Nishiki. I had found on the internet that he both made and painted bikes for a bike shop in Toronto called Dukes? Hopefully I will hear more. Too bad I can't get pictures posted.
Thanks again
Old 10-04-19, 01:10 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 620 Posts
Then it could be a repaint.
Old 10-04-19, 02:15 PM
Keady

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found the work around for the pictures. I created an album called Lovell
Hope it worked
Old 10-04-19, 05:19 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. While some additional pictures, including an overall picture, would be nice, there is sufficient evidence to state that this is a mass produced bicycle and not one built by Jocelyn Lovell. While you may not have seen this particular lugset on Nishiki, it must be remembered that Nishiki was not a manufacturer but a marketing brand that has been manufactured by numerous contractors over the years. To complicate matters even more, the brand often had different owners depending on the country and each owner would design their own bicycles. Consequently, a specific model, say a 1982 Nishiki International, would be different for the Canadian market than the USA market.

Link to OP's photo album. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/15400231
Old 10-05-19, 09:47 AM
Keady

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I uploaded a picture of the complete bike as well as picture that shows Tange Industries on the head tube. I didnt think the bike had been built by lovell but was seeking information about the bikes that he may have painted.
thanks
Old 10-05-19, 10:41 AM
T-Mar

OK, the additional picture helps. Based on the 600EX components and Nishiki stay caps, in conjunction with a Lovell repaint, it should be a Canadian market Nishiki Competition. The absence of top tube cable guides indicates it's pre-1982, while the 600EX indicates no earlier than 1978. While the wheels themselves are replacements, the 700C size appears to be correct based on clearances and pad placements. 700C wheels were new on the Competition for 1981. The frame characteristics are consistent with a 1981 Competition This is early enough that it could have been repainted by Lovell prior to his tragic accident in 1983.

Was the serial number punched out before or after the repaint? Tampered serial numbers are typical of stolen bicycles. I wouldn't think that Lovell would want to get involved by painting a bicycle that might be stolen. However, if Lovell had repainted it, I could see someone thinking it was an actual Lovell, stealing it and then trying to remove the serial number. Maybe this passed through the hands of infamous GTA bicycle thief Igor Kenk, as well as Jocelyn Lovell's?
Old 10-10-19, 08:33 AM
Keady

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I uploaded a picture of the serial number. It appears that it was painted after the numbers were punched.
Not sure if that means it was stolen and a fake or?
Old 10-10-19, 11:41 AM
T-Mar

The serial number appears to have been intentionally removed by seven partially drilled holes. If I had seen this, I would have walked away, as it's almost certainly a stolen bicycle.