Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1968 (?) Le Jeune Olympic Racer

Old 10-05-19, 08:39 AM
RockinBoxer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1968 (?) Le Jeune Olympic Racer

Hello and thanks for allowing me to join your community! I am a little disappointed that I may not post any photos for my first TEN posts.. ugh. I am, however, still grateful for your time!

I have my late grandfathers Le Jeune. Possibly a 1972? I had it cleaned and the chain was replaced, but everything else is in original working condition. The glue-on tires are also original, but I have not inflated them. Also, the included bike pump has not be tested. The stickers are a bit worn. The paint color is red with hand painted bands of Blue, White and Red. I would love to share photos if at all possible. I don't want to be flagged for any rule breaking or whatnot so just let me know how else I can help. This should be fun... Here are some facts:

Mafac "racing" breaking system - aluminium
Stronglight pedals and gears - aluminium
Simplex gear shifter - mixed materials
Super Champ rims - aluminium
Wolber 333 tires - glued
Sportex seat - plastic
SKS tire pump - plastic
Weight: 21 lbs / 336 oz
Color: Red w/ hand painted colors of the French flag
Olympic medal stickers
"Construit Ave" sticker - appears to display the number 531
"Jerry's Schwinn Bicycle Shop" sticker - Tom's River, NJ (201) 244-4346

Last edited by RockinBoxer; 10-05-19 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Family suggests a year of 1972 rather than 68
Old 10-05-19, 09:16 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
I bought a Le Jeune in my late teens in the early 70s. Can't remember what I did with it but I can say it was a great commuter bike for me. I think it was the bike that took me from Michigan to Toronto and back At the time of buying it was a much better value than the Schwinn. Enjoy it!
Old 10-05-19, 09:28 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Cool bike. That reynolds 531 sticker (along with the weight of 21 lbs) tells you that this is a high end, quality bike. It sounds as if the condition is good but we will need pictures of the bike, especially the drive side. The fact that the bike has not been muddied with also helps the pricing. The bike is likely worth--assuming it is a full Reynolds 531 frame and the frame and parts in good condition--somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-$400. In a large city, you might get the higher price. The bike might be worth more on eBay but there are costs and other issues with eBay. I've picked up French bikes of this quality from between $200-$300 but then I live in a mid sized city.
Old 10-05-19, 09:30 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by RockinBoxer
Hello and thanks for allowing me to join your community! I am a little disappointed that I may not post any photos for my first TEN posts.. ugh. I am, however, still grateful for your time!

I have my late grandfathers Le Jeune. I had it cleaned and the chain was replaced, but everything else is in original working condition. The glue-on tires are also original, but I have not inflated them. Also, the included bike pump has not be tested. The stickers are a bit worn. The paint color is red with hand painted bands of Blue, White and Red. I would love to share photos if at all possible. I don't want to be flagged for any rule breaking or whatnot so just let me know how else I can help. This should be fun... Here are some facts:

Mafac "racing" breaking system - aluminium
Stronglight pedals and gears - aluminium
Simplex gear shifter - mixed materials
Super Champ rims - aluminium
Wolber 333 tires - glued
Sportex seat - plastic
SKS tire pump - plastic
Weight: 21 lbs / 336 oz
Color: Red w/ hand painted colors of the French flag
Olympic medal stickers
"Construit Ave" sticker - appears to display the number 531
"Jerry's Schwinn Bicycle Shop" sticker - Tom's River, NJ (201) 244-4346
Giving a location will help us figure out the valuation. If you post pictures on a hosting site somewhere, someone can help you post them on this thread. The 10 post limit is a way of keeping spammers down. You can also go to introductions and introduce yourself. If you respond to a few posts, you'll hit 10 fast.
Old 10-05-19, 09:33 AM
RockinBoxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
I bought a Le Jeune in my late teens in the early 70s. Can't remember what I did with it but I can say it was a great commuter bike for me. I think it was the bike that took me from Michigan to Toronto and back At the time of buying it was a much better value than the Schwinn. Enjoy it!
Very cool. That sounds like quite the trek. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I should consider planning a short route myself. Fulfilling its destiny so to speak
Old 10-05-19, 09:38 AM
RockinBoxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Cool bike. That reynolds 531 sticker (along with the weight of 21 lbs) tells you that this is a high end, quality bike. It sounds as if the condition is good but we will need pictures of the bike, especially the drive side. The fact that the bike has not been muddied with also helps the pricing. The bike is likely worth--assuming it is a full Reynolds 531 frame and the frame and parts in good condition--somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-$400. In a large city, you might get the higher price. The bike might be worth more on eBay but there are costs and other issues with eBay. I've picked up French bikes of this quality from between $200-$300 but then I live in a mid sized city.
Wow, very interesting. I'll have to take a look at Reynolds, so maybe tonight I can bring a little research knowledge to the chat. Thanks for the insight!
Old 10-05-19, 09:39 AM
RockinBoxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Giving a location will help us figure out the valuation. If you post pictures on a hosting site somewhere, someone can help you post them on this thread. The 10 post limit is a way of keeping spammers down. You can also go to introductions and introduce yourself. If you respond to a few posts, you'll hit 10 fast.
I'll see if I can respond to a few tonight like you suggest. Seems just as easy as posting somewhere else. My current location is outside of Norfolk/ VA beach. Thanks and Cheers!
Old 10-05-19, 05:19 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The remnants of the tubing decal indicate that the frameset uses Reynolds 531 only for the double butted main tubes and that the forks and stays are a lesser grade material. It is also the decal style used up until circa 1974-1975. The mixed tubeset, in conjunction with the Stronglight 93 crankset, Simplex Criterium derailleurs, MAFAC Racer brakset and Normandy hubs laced to tubular rims, is typical of an early 1970s mid-range model from a French manufacturer. Looks like a Model 101, Course Spécial Amateur.

Link to OP's photo album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/15407684
Old 10-05-19, 08:56 PM
bikemig 

Yeah it's 531 main triangle. Definitely a really nice bike and I love that this bike looks fairly original. But the frame will bring the value down from my earlier post.

The bike is in decent cosmetic shape and can be rehabbed. I'd value it closer to $125-$175 as it sits. It may be a hard sale even at the price range. I've seen Peugeot PR 10 (a 70s model with similar quality components and frame) rot on CL for a long time.

This is a really neat bike and will make a great project for someone who wants an old French bike to ride.
Old 10-06-19, 08:58 AM
RockinBoxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, great. Now I'm satisfied, I feel like I've learned a lot. Hey, quick question. What is the deal with the trend behind classic french racers? Is there a good article to read? Thanks again
Old 10-06-19, 04:19 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by RockinBoxer
Wow, great. Now I'm satisfied, I feel like I've learned a lot. Hey, quick question. What is the deal with the trend behind classic french racers? Is there a good article to read? Thanks again
I started this thread a bit tongue in cheek but there is some good info. French bikes are classic bikes. They ride great. They are also different in a lot of good (and in some not so good ways). I'm a big fan of French bikes and worked in two different bike stores that sold a lot of them.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nch-bikes.html

If that lejeune is your size, I think you should rebuild your granddad's bike and ride the heck out of it.