Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dia Compe nutted brakes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dia Compe nutted brakes

Old 10-05-19, 04:45 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Dia Compe nutted brakes

Were most non aero nutted brake calipers setup to mount the front cable on the left? It makes it hard to setup the bike with aero levers. If your front brake is your right hand you can see even these modern dia compes are strange. The cable would come out from under the tape and have to go straight down into the caliper and not follow the natrual line across the head tube like most calipers. Its like it is like the barrel adjuster is on the wrong side......

Do they make modern or vintage nutted brakes with the barrel on the other side like most recessed calipers are or is this right side front barrel specific to dia compe. I have a box full of these things and cant find a practical application of how to set them up with aero levers. Even non areo they seem odd.
Old 10-05-19, 05:37 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The convention with side-pull (and dual pivot) brakes is to have the cable anchor on the drive side of the fork. This practice might be reversed in countries where they drive on the left hand side of the road, as the front brake is typically operated by the signal hand.
Old 10-05-19, 07:06 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked 4,332 Times in 2,069 Posts
I've noticed that Tektro has engineered the R556/R559 (a US market brake, I might add) with drive-side cable entry on the front and the 800A/900A (which are not US market, even though they've started to find their way here) with NDS cable entry on the front.

As such, the 900A works quite well with the factory braze-on arrangement on 1974 and later Raleigh Sports at the back (sorry, no completed photo at the moment), which should also complement the front:

YMMV.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-06-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 04:35 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 397 Posts
I don no about conventions but I have two pairs of Dia Compe G brakes and they are cabled on the right so cable entry is NDS on the front, DS on the rear, both bikes. Velobase shows them the same way. I seriously doubt these were Japanese/UK market brakes that both somehow ended up here in Penn's woods on the edge of "the Dutch country". I think Dia Compe just did it that way.

I'm all obsolete and out moded so, running just classic exposed cabling, I'm happy with them. "Works fine, lasts a long time, fail safe and never needs repair".