Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Marukin HC-300, Looking for Some More Information!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-04-14, 11:12 PM
turbofeedus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Picked up this frame for $50 from a local BC. Marukin, model HC-300. My search for information hasn't turned up anything. Any of you knowledgeable lot know about Marukins? My goal is to clean and build this up, any tips?

https://imgur.com/a/acCoT
Old 10-06-19, 07:50 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I don't really know much about the brand or that particular model. It does, however, look fairly similar to the Marukin M-440 I used to own. It was a lovely lugged Tange steel frame with 12 speed Suntour parts. Based on the frame construction and the parts it had on it, I guessed that my Marukin was from around 1984 or so. The brazed-on cable guides seen near the BB (in your photos) also suggests early 80s. That's about all I know. I no longer have this bike so I can't examine it for further clues.

Old 10-07-19, 07:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Marukin was a Japanese brand that dates back to the early 1970s bicycle boom. My understanding is that the bicycles were contract manufactured. Based on the presence of bottle, bosses, shift lever bosses and cable tunnels running over the bottom bracket shell, it is likely very late 1970s to early 1980s. The serial number may provide a clue to the actual year and manufacturer. Also, there may be a date code and tubing manufacturer stamp of the fork's steerer column. Additional pictures such as the dropots, lugs, fork crown and an overall picture may help to determine the level but the best indicator of the tubing grade would be the required seat post diameter.