Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 09:32 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
So envious of you 750 owners. All y'all. I tried hard to get one, I really did. Some day.
Old 10-06-19, 09:45 PM
combover

Bikes: Way to many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
Thanks Combover, they really are just a great all around bike. I couldn’t possibly afford a new, made in USA, lugged, wide tire fitting steel frame. But I got this one for $30. Trek hit it out of the park with these bikes in my opinion.
yeah, one of my all time favorite bikes for sure! I live in the SF Bay area and have had many of them, its like bikes come here to be forgotten over the years after they are purchased by the owner due to Waaaay to many obligations and having to work to much to pay for the over inflated cost of housing here, they are getting scarce now, few years ago you could find one a week between garage sales, thrift stores and craigslist, not to many of the 790's but lottsa 750s and 730s over the years, used to find them hanging in garages at the garage sales all the time, with NO miles or scratches, nice old bikes !!I really dig the early lugged 930s and 950s too! outfited with that old DX and XT stuff.........

Last edited by combover; 10-06-19 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 08:47 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
So envious of you 750 owners. All y'all. I tried hard to get one, I really did. Some day.
Mine came from the Bay of e, so keep looking. The right bike will find you.
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-07-19, 09:52 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Korina
Mine came from the Bay of e, so keep looking. The right bike will find you.
Yeah, that's a good way. I have searches set up on the Bay.

A year ago I ran across this one in a regional big city and the guy wanted to trade with me (for a little money too, which was fair) for my black 720. His was my size but too big for him. My 720 was too small for me but right for him. I just couldn't get there in time, I had too much already going on, and he was five hours away. Black, lugged, good condition.

But my 730 is a great bike and close enough for now. I had my first real ride on it last night. It was so smooth and all the hills were only half as tall as before.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 10-07-19, 11:12 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Yeah, that's a good way. I have searches set up on the Bay.

A year ago I ran across this one in a regional big city and the guy wanted to trade with me (for a little money too, which was fair) for my black 720. His was my size but too big for him. My 720 was too small for me but right for him. I just couldn't get there in time, I had too much already going on, and he was five hours away. Black, lugged, good condition.

But my 730 is a great bike and close enough for now. I had my first real ride on it last night. It was so smooth and all the hills were only half as tall as before.
You want to compare ones that got away? Last month I spotted an ad on CL for a "Specialized Work bike" for $175. WTH is a "Work" bike? (Why yes, I did have the dumb.) Asked over at C&V and they gently explained that it was an early S-works mountain bike; rare, in very good condition, and worth $500 (described as a "grail bike" for the right person). We took too long to get to it, and it was sold out from under us. Hopefully to someone who knew what it was. Then there's the early, lugged Stumpjumper on Fb for $40. The ad's still up, but the owner hasn't responded to any of my pleas to let us look at it.
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-07-19, 12:13 PM
ja1124

Bikes: 1993 Giant Rincon, 1993 Trek MultiTrack 720, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Giant Innova, 1995 Trek MultiTrack 700 (stolen from my possession but still mine!)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
@rseeker, if you are in the Atlanta area, you may find a purple steel 750 at Play It Again Sports, the North Druid Hills location. I saw the bike on craigslist and replied. The ad had been up only six days. He replied that he already sold it to Play It Again Sports. I asked what he got for it and he said $50. It was in excellent condition.
Likes For ja1124:
Old 10-07-19, 01:59 PM
Cutsit

Bikes: Trek 700, Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This is my first post. I have been riding a hand-me-down Diamondback Wildwood and was looking for something else. I just purchased a 1997? 700. It has the black frame and has the Shimano Altus components. Looks brand new and has the original tires. I came to this forum after a google search to learn about my new purchase. I'll post photos when I get enough posts.

Picked the bike up Friday, rode 8 miles Saturday on the street and 13.5 miles on the Rock Island Spur on Sunday. So far, so good. I do miss the seat post suspension of the Wildwood. The stock seat will likely be replaced. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The tires hold air, but are age checked. New Kenda 830's and tubes have been ordered. I went from 700x35 to 700x38 hoping for a little softer ride.

I know very little about bike repair but am not scared to try anything. I've twisted a wrench or two in my day.

Let me know about you thoughts.
Likes For Cutsit:
Old 10-07-19, 02:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome @Cutsit. These are great bikes. You can probably go up to a 42mm tire pretty safely; the 38s should fit without any problem. I'm a "big tire" kind of person -- I generally like to use as wide as will fit in the frame. Those Kendas should work fine. As for the saddle, it's very much a personal preference thing, unfortunately. The stock saddle, if it still has that, is likely pretty uncomfortable. Depending on your physical dimensions (like width of your sit bones), it's pretty hard to recommend a good saddle. If you have any good bike shops local to you, they can often help measure you (some even have equipment to measure your sit bones and riding posture and recommend a saddle model for you).
Old 10-07-19, 02:42 PM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Cutsit
This is my first post. I have been riding a hand-me-down Diamondback Wildwood and was looking for something else. I just purchased a 1997? 700. It has the black frame and has the Shimano Altus components. Looks brand new and has the original tires. I came to this forum after a google search to learn about my new purchase. I'll post photos when I get enough posts.

Picked the bike up Friday, rode 8 miles Saturday on the street and 13.5 miles on the Rock Island Spur on Sunday. So far, so good. I do miss the seat post suspension of the Wildwood. The stock seat will likely be replaced. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The tires hold air, but are age checked. New Kenda 830's and tubes have been ordered. I went from 700x35 to 700x38 hoping for a little softer ride.

I know very little about bike repair but am not scared to try anything. I've twisted a wrench or two in my day.

Let me know about you thoughts.
Glad to hear about your new bike. I/we want pictures, of course.

I'm on my fourth seat now and it's still not right. I've identified a trend though, and it's toward increasing flatness. Less up-lift toward the back of the seat, no rise at all in the nose.

Getting new tires is the right move.

I've been doing my own maintenance for three years and this forum and the people on it are a godsend. @hokiefyd and dozens of other people here have helped so much.

Last edited by rseeker; 10-07-19 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 02:58 PM
rseeker

Originally Posted by ja1124
@rseeker, if you are in the Atlanta area, you may find a purple steel 750 at Play It Again Sports, the North Druid Hills location. I saw the bike on craigslist and replied. The ad had been up only six days. He replied that he already sold it to Play It Again Sports. I asked what he got for it and he said $50. It was in excellent condition.
Wow, that's really nice of you to mention. I know that area pretty well, I used to live around there and my work-study job in college was on Chantilly Drive off of La Vista. Atlanta is the regional big city five hours (or more - traffic seems worse all the time) away. Which is too bad, because there's great used stuff on Craigslist all the time. My little town basically has nothing, which I think is because no one here was riding bikes BITD and now there's nothing used to sell.

Last edited by rseeker; 10-07-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 03:38 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by ja1124
Even if Play It Again marks it up $100, that's still a great deal for a very nice bike.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-08-19, 04:14 PM
combover

Bikes: Way to many to list

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
even if play it again marks it up $100, that's still a great deal for a very nice bike.
+1 !!
Old 10-08-19, 04:39 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
@Cutsit, a 38 will fit fine, a 42 will be tight in the rear. You can fit fenders over a 38 with a little work on the rear mounting.
Old 10-08-19, 08:19 PM
Cutsit

Originally Posted by Phamilton
@Cutsit, a 38 will fit fine, a 42 will be tight in the rear. You can fit fenders over a 38 with a little work on the rear mounting.
Glad to hear that the 38 will work. Thought I would try that over the 40 to start with. Seems like the 35s dig in on chat. Maybe the 38s will help. Put another 10 miles on the street this evening before dark. I'm going to need a suspension seat post or softer saddle. 59 year old keesters get sore.
Old 10-09-19, 06:28 PM
Cutsit

Mounted the new Kendra's and tubes tonight. Rode around the driveway and liked them so far. Have to give credit to the 22 year old stock tires.
Likes For Cutsit:
Old 10-10-19, 05:21 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

Couple of my smaller Treks, the white has a luggage frame...have more, bigger frame stashed somewhere...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 10-10-19, 07:45 PM
Cutsit

Rode 10 miles on the new Kendas. Like them much better than the weather checked stockers. Rolling resistance is much less. Maybe a little more noisy. I've taken pictures and would like to post them but need to get to 10 posts..

Last edited by Cutsit; 10-10-19 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Added photos
Likes For Cutsit:
Old 10-11-19, 02:57 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
^i like the black!

seems like the seatpost is up crazy high.
Old 10-11-19, 06:04 AM
Cutsit

Originally Posted by denada
^i like the black!

seems like the seatpost is up crazy high.
The black with purple decals has aged nicely, I think.

The seat post is high. I have lowered it some. I couldn't find a frame size when I looked at it before purchase. It may be too small for me. I do like the way it fits from the saddle to the bars. The Amazon truck is bringing a suspension seat post and different saddle.

It took awhile to get the requisite post number to post photos.

Once I get the new parts on, I'll take an "after" photo with the new tires.
Old 10-11-19, 07:36 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The black with purple decals has aged nicely, I think.

The seat post is high. I have lowered it some. I couldn't find a frame size when I looked at it before purchase. It may be too small for me. I do like the way it fits from the saddle to the bars. The Amazon truck is bringing a suspension seat post and different saddle.

It took awhile to get the requisite post number to post photos.

Once I get the new parts on, I'll take an "after" photo with the new tires.
It looks like a 15" and you may be around 5'11" judging by the seatpost. You can confirm the frame size by measuring from the center of the crank up to the seat post clamp.

I'd just ride it while keeping an eye out for a larger one.
Old 10-12-19, 07:50 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

For reference (if it helps) I’m 5’12” and this is a 23” frame. Fits just about right.

Old 10-12-19, 07:54 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

@Cutsit, I believe your bike is subject to a Trek recall involving the crankset, as was mine. Last fall my LBS replaced crankset, bottom bracket, front derailer, and chain, I had to cover labor cost, was like $30. I guess the original cranks had issues with crank arms breaking. You may want to look into it. A fellow BF member advised me of the recall.
Old 10-12-19, 08:20 AM
Cutsit

Originally Posted by katsup
It looks like a 15" and you may be around 5'11" judging by the seatpost. You can confirm the frame size by measuring from the center of the crank up to the seat post clamp.

I'd just ride it while keeping an eye out for a larger one.
Top of the seat post to center of the crank is 17". 16 1/2" to the seat clamp.
Old 10-12-19, 08:22 AM
Cutsit

Originally Posted by Phamilton
@Cutsit, I believe your bike is subject to a Trek recall involving the crankset, as was mine. Last fall my LBS replaced crankset, bottom bracket, front derailer, and chain, I had to cover labor cost, was like $30. I guess the original cranks had issues with crank arms breaking. You may want to look into it. A fellow BF member advised me of the recall.
Thanks for the information
Old 10-12-19, 10:12 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Top of the seat post to center of the crank is 17". 16 1/2" to the seat clamp.
Looks like your 700 is a 1995 and Trek called it a 17".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.