Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire, fixing flat issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 05:24 AM
drew62266

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Road my Giant Defy, with tubeless tires, on Saturday, no issues. When I went to get on bike yesterday (Tuesday), I had a flat front tire. I noticed there was liquid sealant all over the tire too. I can't find the puncture. I was going to air the tire up and look for sealant bubbles, if possible. The tire is so flat, the bead won't seat. All I have is a floor pump. I read that I need an air compressor or pump blast to inflate at a high rate in order to mount the tire properly and then find leak. I plan to take to my local LBS for assistance, but need I to learn fix this, if this were to happen to me on the road and it will.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-25-19, 07:58 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If the bead comes unseated just by deflating the tire, you don't have a good match between tire and rim. You need more rim tape, or a different tire/rim combo altogether. At this point, I wouldn't worry about a slow leak, I would be worried about burping the tire at speed.

Are the tires the originals that came on the bike? Make sure that both the tire and rim are tubeless compatible.
Old 09-25-19, 08:40 AM
dubes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drew62266
Road my Giant Defy, with tubeless tires, on Saturday, no issues. When I went to get on bike yesterday (Tuesday), I had a flat front tire. I noticed there was liquid sealant all over the tire too. I can't find the puncture. I was going to air the tire up and look for sealant bubbles, if possible. The tire is so flat, the bead won't seat. All I have is a floor pump. I read that I need an air compressor or pump blast to inflate at a high rate in order to mount the tire properly and then find leak. I plan to take to my local LBS for assistance, but need I to learn fix this, if this were to happen to me on the road and it will.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
If you flat on the road/trail with tubeless and the sealant doesn't stop the air leak enough for you to be able to at least limp home, then you have to resort to using a standard tube. (Which means adding a tube to your on-bike repair kit if you don't already.) Because of the sealant in the tire, this could get quite messy.

Mike
Likes For dubes:
Old 09-25-19, 09:14 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Happened to me two or three times over the years when I got a slice in the tire that the sealant wouldn't stop. Main thing is to put something between the tube and inside of the tire (like a Powerbar wrap) if the cut is big enough to be a problem and even more importantly to clean all the sealant from inside the tire (otherwise the tube may "slip out" while you're inflating it). A real PITA.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-26-19, 04:50 AM
drew62266

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Good news, tire is fine. Took to my local LBS. We cleaned the tire, added more sealant and aired it up using an air compressor. Bead popped into place and tire is still holding air this AM. When I was riding, I now remember hitting a small (at least I thought it was small) pot hole. It obviously popped the bead loose from the wheel. All is good and I will now be buying a small air compressor for the house.
Old 09-27-19, 04:45 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
My airshot works great. There are diy variations to be found on youtube, as well as pumps with canisters built in (the latter a bit pricey).You can even get small water bottle size ones to carry on the road.

Likes For DOS:
Old 09-29-19, 08:21 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
If the bead comes unseated just by deflating the tire, you don't have a good match between tire and rim. You need more rim tape, or a different tire/rim combo altogether. At this point, I wouldn't worry about a slow leak, I would be worried about burping the tire at speed.

Are the tires the originals that came on the bike? Make sure that both the tire and rim are tubeless compatible.
This. Have you looked at the tire rim combo? Seems the tire should not unseat by going over a pothole that you hardly remember. I've run tubless for two years and hit "very memorable potholes etc. with no damage or burping except the extra landry of my underwear.
Likes For Ald1:
Old 09-29-19, 02:30 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Good news, <snip> I now remember hitting a small (at least I thought it was small) pot hole. It obviously popped the bead loose from the wheel. All is good and I will now be buying a small air compressor for the house.
No that’s not good at all, and definitely not normal. There is something wrong with your wheel tire/combo.
Old 10-09-19, 05:16 AM
drew62266

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Follow up on my tire issue. Good news, 100 miles ridden, tires are holding up great, no more issues, no more flats. I increased my PSI from 85 to 105, ride is firmer, but way more efficient. Salesman at my LBS said 85-90 PSI would be fine. When I took in for the repair, the mechanic highly recommended 100-105. Sticking to what the mechanic said.
Old 10-09-19, 02:59 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I recently found that one tire wouldn't hold air very long. So I put in more sealant, and it still leaked. I put the wheel in water to see if I could find a leak, and found some tiny pinhole leaks in the sidewall that were otherwise invisible. I was wondering if the tire was defective and I should go back to tubes. Then I pumped up the tire and tilted and rotated it so that the sealant would pool up at the leaks, It seems to have worked, and holds air. I guess I didn't do a good job making sure that the sealant was properly distributed inside the tire when I first put in sealant.

I have a question. How long will the sealant (Stan's No Tube) be expected to plug the leaks? Does sealant tend to dry out?
Old 10-10-19, 02:50 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Sealant does dry out specially in hot climates. If you have a removable core valve you can remove the core, and check the level of the sealant.
Also if you not riding the bike frequently rotate the wheels so the sealant does not settle in one area.
Likes For yannisg:
Old 10-10-19, 03:12 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Follow up on my tire issue. Good news, 100 miles ridden, tires are holding up great, no more issues, no more flats. I increased my PSI from 85 to 105, ride is firmer, but way more efficient. Salesman at my LBS said 85-90 PSI would be fine. When I took in for the repair, the mechanic highly recommended 100-105. Sticking to what the mechanic said.
One of the selling points of tubeless is to be able to run lower pressures. Unless you're a Clyde on narrow tires, you should be running lower pressures. 60-80 lbs is VERY popular with road cyclists on 25-28 mm tires, and lower on wider tires or on gravel. The current thinking is that lower pressure gives a better ride and is faster.

Do some googling for research and recommendations in the past 2-3 years. Thinking on tire pressure is different than it used to be.

Ob. personal note - I'm a 165 lb rider running tubeless at 65-70 lbs in tubeless 26mm Specialized Turbos.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-10-19, 03:43 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yeah, what @bbbean said. 105 sounds pretty high for tubeless. I weigh about 197#, I run about 78 rear and 64 front on 30mm tires.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 10-13-19, 08:27 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yeah, what @bbbean said. 105 sounds pretty high for tubeless. I weigh about 197#, I run about 78 rear and 64 front on 30mm tires.
I weigh 210, have been riding 25mm tires for 2 years, which actually inflate to more like 28mm, at 85 in rear and 78 in front. No issues. 105 would be what I would ride when using tubes.

Last edited by DOS; 10-14-19 at 06:53 AM.
Likes For DOS:
Old 10-14-19, 05:26 AM
drew62266

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I ran 105 psi this weekend, no issue......smooth ride. I'm coming off riding a Specialized hybrid to this new Giant roadie. I still can't get over looking down at my speedo/computer, I'm cruising at 16-17mph, whereas the hybrid I'd be doing 12-14 mph with the same effort.
Old 10-14-19, 06:52 AM
DOS

I ran 105 psi this weekend, no issue......smooth ride. I'm coming off riding a Specialized hybrid to this new Giant roadie. I still can't get over looking down at my speedo/computer, I'm cruising at 16-17mph, whereas the hybrid I'd be doing 12-14 mph with the same effort.
Even so, 105psi defeats one of the main purposes of tubeless. Coming down some on pressure will improve ride quality and your tires will roll even better than they are. But I guess if you are enjoying the ride and the 105psi is within max recommended pressure of the tire, don't fix what ain’t broke.
Old 10-16-19, 09:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
When I took in for the repair, the mechanic highly recommended 100-105. Sticking to what the mechanic said.
Yeah that doesn't sound right either. I'm not a lightweight and run 80-85 in rear and 75-80 in the front depending on what the road conditions are going to be like on the route I will be riding.

Hey, nice bike though I like it.
Likes For jadocs: