Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

VP-365 Pedals

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

VP-365 Pedals

Old 10-12-19, 06:33 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
VP-365 Pedals

Anyone have experience with these pedals. I just picked up a pair and they seem decent. A little stiff, but they should break in fine. Thoughts appreciated.

Old 10-12-19, 06:44 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
They look like copies of the MKS Sylvan Touring, one the non-clipless favorites for general use and touring.
Old 10-12-19, 07:30 AM
kross57

I'm sure they are copies of the MKS. But less expensive. That could mean a bargain or just poorly made.
Old 10-12-19, 07:54 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
While I don't use this particular model of VP's, I do use their platform (VP015) with pins for off road riding/commuting.

Great budget pedal that seems to hold up as well as the XT platforms for a lot less money.

https://www.vpcomponents.com/product/vp-015/
Likes For gomango:
Old 10-12-19, 08:08 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
Anyone have experience with these pedals. I just picked up a pair and they seem decent. A little stiff, but they should break in fine. Thoughts appreciated.

When I buy new pedals and they are stiff or overly stiff to what feel I like, then I open them up, check the grease and adjust the cones so that the pedals turn smoothly. overly stiff pedals can be ruined if used much.

Cheers
Old 10-14-19, 08:20 AM
kross57

Thanks guys. These are not stiff enough that I feel they need adjustment. So far, so good.
Old 10-14-19, 08:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
They look like copies of the MKS Sylvan Touring, one the non-clipless favorites for general use and touring.
Which, themselves, are more or less copies of the "originals", right? MKS has a few pedals, both appearing to emulate classic pedals:

MKS Sylvan Touring looks like classic (but steel) Leotard pedals (possibly other brands).

MKS Sylvan Road looks like a knock-off of the alloy Atom 450s on one of my Peugeots.

Or maybe Leotard and Atom were knocking others off at the time, I don't know!
Old 10-14-19, 09:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
My experience with VP (aluminum) pedals is that they are solid and dependable, if unremarkable products that provide good value. Maintain them properly and regularly and they will give you years of good service.

I agree with Miele Man regarding service. Whenever I buy a used component with bearing movements, I routinely overhaul them and never leave anything to chance, no matter how good they may feel.
Old 10-14-19, 11:27 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by T-Mar
My experience with VP (aluminum) pedals is that they are solid and dependable, if unremarkable products that provide good value. Maintain them properly and regularly and they will give you years of good service.

I agree with Miele Man regarding service. Whenever I buy a used component with bearing movements, I routinely overhaul them and never leave anything to chance, no matter how good they may feel.
Appreciate the info. However, the ones I purchased are new, not used. I'll let you guys know if they develop bearing trouble.