Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 01:48 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I’m a smudge taller than 5-11”. Long arms. I seam is about 32”.

I believe the stack height is the issue for me, yes. A 12 degree (17 might have even been better) at 90mm would have helped. But stems for 1.25” steerer tubes are apparently few and far between. Giant makes them, and there’s an import brand I found on eBay that makes one. That’s all I could find, but I didn’t look exhaustively.

As I said, the Endurace is a fine bicycle. My only hesitation in recommending one would be if you think you’re going to need a different stem, find out if Canyon has what you think you need and order it with the bike. Or at least make sure you can find an aftermarket stem that matches your need before you buy.

The larger frame might well help you accomplish the fit you’re looking for. My only hesitation with that idea for myself would be that the seat post would be shorter and therefore less compliant on a larger frame. For me that means more body aches. I tried several saddles on the bicycle which had rails of varying heights. These translated to a difference of about 5/8” in seat post height, which I could feel. It wasn’t a huge difference, but if it were more like 2” of height difference it might be. At least for me.
I spoke to a rep at Canyon who recommended either Ritchey or Giant replacement stems. I explained my plan to use a stem with more rise, he said it was a common modification (and should be replaceable without having to rewrap the bars, etc.). I looked on eBay for a 1.25" (31.8mm) stem, and it seems there are at least a few, a couple with adjustable rise. I still don't know if I'm willing to spend this much on a bike, and am somewhat wary of CF, even though airplanes are made from it. Can someone convince me ?
Old 10-08-19, 07:55 AM
letmeknow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
I think there have been some complaints about their CS if there are any issues, might want to search around before committing. Nice bikes though.

I feel like some of their customer service is bad, they act like they know nothing or their response are ill-researched. So what I did was stop talking to that person and re email Customer service... Found someone I like and asked if I could directly contact them when I have problems and they said sure no problem, never had a problem since.
Old 10-14-19, 06:34 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Canyon sell different length stems
at Canyon Gear

The support from Canyon USA has been fantastic for me
They are very helpful and super nice

I have both an Aeroad SL (rim brake) and an Ultimate SLX (Disc brake)
I have to second the support experience also, it was very good via phone an email. I finally purchased the Endurace with an Ultegra mechanical build. I have another endurance bike that I like how I sit but that was after getting a 17 degree stem to bring the bars higher. Out of the box I put the stem that Canyon provides angled upward (it's a 7 degree) and I put the 2 bikes side by side and they are nearly identical at the top of the handlebar and seat. So basically no modification to the Canyon and I like how I sit on the bike. The bike itself is very nice, I never thought I would appreciate the change to a hydraulic disc but it's great yes there's a weight penalty but worth it to me. The packaging of the Canyon was done very well assembly is minimal and out of the gate the derailleurs were perfect. I purchased the "hellfire red" and its a gorgeous color. It's a metallic gloss paint and depending on the lighting its looks red or red/orange. For sizing I was recommended as a large for a 6' 3" 34 inseam but for an experiment I plugged in 6' 4" and it put me in an xl. I went with the XL simply out of intuition and how typically if I can try a bike (can' usually) I'm in the largest frame. I feel fine on it I done about 200 miles so far. I could say maybe I would have been fine in the Large and maybe I'll consider a slightly shorter stem just to see how I feel but all told it's really nice and the fit is fine.
Likes For TKJava:
Old 10-14-19, 11:59 AM
kshepherd

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 that I just got a few months ago, but my dad has a similarly spec'd Endurace. We both love our bikes! Haven't had any issues with support, they were very helpful during the ordering process. I also haven't had any trouble with getting local service. The guy that fit my bike locally had worked with Canyons before and the local bike store has too. Was a little nervous ordering online without getting to ride it first, but once I got over that, there was no looking back. At this point I have a couple hundred miles on the new bike and it's been great. 100% what I had hoped for in a bike and was way cheaper than the brands stocked by local bike stores for the components and features you get.