Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Steve Bauer bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Steve Bauer bike

Old 08-20-19, 08:30 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 153 Posts
"To this end, there was a Steve Bauer branded bicycle with Campagnolo C-Record (1986) and Dura-Ace (1987) which he used in Canadian races and the company put out a limited edition replica, complete with number peg." Those replica bikes were built in Italy although I do not know who the builder was. In addition to the distinctive number plate peg as T-Mar described, there was an Italian flag braze-on on the top tube by the seat lug with hand painted red, white and green painted in fills. The initial Japanese line of Bauers were excellent bikes.
Old 08-21-19, 06:45 AM
dcsteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I saw another of these on kiji in ontario a week or two ago. Looked to be in pretty good shape and had all Campagnolo on it. It was a steal, still kicking myself for not getting it.
Old 08-21-19, 06:10 PM
gryclyne

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Count yourself lucky as heck to have come across the one you did! I spent nearly ten years looking for the "Mystery Steve Bauer Bike", after reading quijibo187's 2010 post here about leaving off riding his carbon-fibre bike in favour of an older Cinelli/DuraAce/Tange Prestige Steve Bauer. I'd never heard of a Prestige-framed SB, and he didn't mention the model (only posting a low-def photo of a nice-looking red-and-white, silver-stayed bike), so it set me on a decade-long quest to identify it and to track one down. Boy - I had no idea how rare this bird seems to be! Suffice it to say that while I learned quite a bit about just about every other SB road bike produced (and posted on them here a few times, if you're interested), the identity of that red-and-white beauty remained a cipher until only a couple of years ago, when I finally saw an ad for one on Kijiji. Little info in the text, but some good shots - including one showing the silver stay, with "Vortex" written on it! Eureka! I wrote the owner right away, but never got an answer, and the ad disappeared a couple of days later - so until you started this thread last month, that was as close as I came to really learning something about this bike.
So I don't feel much pity for you missing out on the other one. Especially since I saw that ad, too - and the weekend before last, made the 12-hr drive to pick it up! I think that story's interesting in itself, but for now I can just say that after my odyssey, I'm walking (riding?) on a cloud. Glad you seem to be enjoying yours just as much.
Likes For gryclyne:
Old 08-21-19, 07:01 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Congrats on getting that one! I'm glad someone that will appreciate it picked it up. Just about had my in laws pick it up for me too ha. Post some pics of it, I'd love to see it
Likes For dcsteve:
Old 08-24-19, 01:12 AM
gryclyne

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the invitation! I tried yesterday, but it looks like I can't post pix - my message got flushed, and my shots sent off somewhere in the gallery... Have to make a few more posts to get up to ten, then try again.
Old 08-24-19, 05:25 PM
gryclyne

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Got excited when I read up-thread that the number peg could signify that this was a custom-made model - but haven't found an Italian flag anywhere...

Campy C-Record RD, and Campy hub

Campy Super Record Strada crankset; Time 50.1 pedals

Modolo Équipe brakes

Mavic rims

Made in USSR! My favorite find on this bike! Who else in North America rode on Soviet rubber today? (Outside of Cuba, let's say...)

Campy C-Record seat post; Selle Italia saddle

Dura-Ace FD

Dura-Ace at the head-tube

I knew a lot more about Shimano than I did about Campagnolo before buying this bike, but I'm learning fast as, evidently, my components seem to be more Campy vs. the Dura-Ace on yours. Interestingly, my serial no. starts with G, while yours starts with F - suggesting that mine came out the year after yours? If so, could the choice of parts those two years have happened the other way around from what's been suggested? Of course, that's assuming we both have original parts - a big assumption in my case, since I know nothing about the bike's history (though having inherited a tire from the Cold War, I'm guessing the previous owner wasn't big on upgrades...).

Still have a lot to learn about this bike, but it's been fun so far - and a real plus that this thread is up and drawing input!
Likes For gryclyne:
Old 08-25-19, 07:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by gryclyne
Got excited when I read up-thread that the number peg could signify that this was a custom-made model - but haven't found an Italian flag anywhere..
There would be no reason for this frame to have the brazed-on Italian flag, given its Japanese origin. FWIW, the picture of the Replica model in era advertisements didn't have the brazed-on Italian flag either, though I have seen it on some 1988+ models with Columbus tubing.

Initial impression is that it is one of the official Replica models based on the number peg and colour scheme. However, closer examination reveals some differences from era advertisements. The Replica model did not have a chromed chain stay with a Vortex model decal. Nor did it have the "(diamond) hard finish" decal on the top tube.Also, the Replica did not have a front derailleur hanger but used a traditional clamp style front derailleur. Finally, your bicycle has a fork with an integral crown while the Replica model had a traditional crown with a cut-out in the spear points.

While it's possible that this is one of the Replica models with some running production changes, these bicycles were marketed as a replica of the bicycle that Bauer used to win the 1986 Carlsberg Grand Prix in Toronto and the frames do appear to be an exact match for what Bauer rode. As such, you wouldn't think that there would have been running production changes. Perhaps they simply made some minor changes to the 1986 Vortex, in order to cash in on the victory and provide customers with a pseudo replica model, after the real Replica model sold out? This would increase sales and pacify the consumers who missed out on the true Replica model without infringing on the exclusivity of the true Replica model. However, I don't know this to be fact and am only offering a plausible explanation for the differences.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-25-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 02:12 AM
gryclyne

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
T-Mar - Still not over the fact that, after years glimpsing only mirages of the elusive Vortex, I finally came upon this info-packed thread - and then, barely two weeks later, found an actual real one. Sure, it'd have been a miracle if, on top of that, it had turned out to be a custom-made (or even one of those Replicas you describe) - but on a run of luck like that, you figure anything's possible! No matter. Thx for all the historical background, as well as the extra technical details. It's great having access to such a resource. (Though I had to Google "cut-outs in spear points"!)

Do have another question. Based on our serial no.'s, DCSteve's seems more likely an '86, and mine an '87 - something that could be further supported by the idea that the Vortex colour scheme was modified after the '86 Grand Prix to resemble SB's winning bike. If so though, having a first generation C Record RD on it seems an anachronism; apparently they were only made from '84-'85, before the 2nd generation came out (to try to catch up with Dura-Ace's indexing, I believe?) Anything in the catalogues, ads or anywhere that could clarify whether this was in fact original, vs swapped in? Appreciate any info!
Old 10-14-19, 10:30 AM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/mi...ationFlag=true

Hey, found another one. Looks a little rougher and not original parts...too far away to.
Old 10-14-19, 12:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by dcsteve
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/mi...ationFlag=true

Hey, found another one. Looks a little rougher and not original parts...too far away to.
Yes, lots of changes: brifters, saddle, pedals, crankset, rear derailleur. maybe more. Still, that's a good deal for the GTA.