Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift and just a laptop - show me!

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift and just a laptop - show me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 05:01 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Also, download and install the latest version of Zwift. If what you are trying is an older version, it might be behaving as you say.
Old 10-03-19, 11:10 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
After the sensor selection/detection screen, you get to the menu where you get to choose your world, route, type of ride (e.g. workout), and whether to join any upcoming events.

As for the power issue, is your trainer reacting to gradient changes (e.g. getting harder when you go uphill), or does the resistance feel constant?
This time I saw the choice of Watopia or the ride in London, so I think I'm getting the hang of it. And the other day I calibrated my trainer, so this time it really did feel like it was responding to gradient changes. Though I still feel like the response isn't immediate in the other direction when I speed up my pace. Also, I can't figure out where the gradient indicator is on the screen. Is there one?

Still, having finally done a substantial ride on Zwift, it feels like a game changer. I gave up indoor training riding years ago because it was physical and psychological torture, but I'm really feeling motivated with this new trainer with the rear end roller allowing for side to side movement of the saddle combined with the interaction of Zwift. I'm still going to ride outside as much as I can for the rest of the fall until the stupid cold gets here in December, but now I don't have to worry about missing out due to rain or snow.

I'm especially happy with the Lynx trainer because it's a cinch taking the bike back and forth between the trainer in the basement and outdoor riding. The front wheel stays in the shed, making the bike that much lighter and easier to maneuver up and down the stairs in the house, and nothing changes with the rear wheel (apparently there's no need for a trainer tire with the Lynx trainer, and from what I've seen so far that seems to be true). With the standard trainer I always hated fitting the ends of the quick release into those holders and readjusting the tension of the roller, not to mention mounting a dedicated trainer tire. If a good winter day arrived I had to weigh my options: should I put on a regular tire for an outdoor ride and then have to reverse the process to get the bike back on the trainer? Oftentimes I'd just think, forget it.

Not anymore!
Old 10-04-19, 06:13 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Zwift has recently published a series of How To videos on YouTube here.
Old 10-04-19, 06:52 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
This time I saw the choice of Watopia or the ride in London, so I think I'm getting the hang of it. And the other day I calibrated my trainer, so this time it really did feel like it was responding to gradient changes. Though I still feel like the response isn't immediate in the other direction when I speed up my pace. Also, I can't figure out where the gradient indicator is on the screen. Is there one?
Look for the minimap at the top right corner of the screen, the gradient is shown here.

As for the power delays, the most common issue if you're connecting with the ANT+ protocol is poor signal and/or wireless interference. The typical advice for this would be to get the ANT+ antenna as close to your trainer as possible, possibly with a USB extension cable or similar.
Old 10-13-19, 09:14 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by atwl77
Look for the minimap at the top right corner of the screen, the gradient is shown here.
Thanks, now I see it. I guess it took a while for all this new stuff to sink in.
Old 10-13-19, 09:34 PM
rousseau

Zwift is a game changer. I've done several rides now, and I love it. I'm almost looking forward to winter. Well, okay, that's going a bit far. Though come to think of it, fall is turning into a fun season with the variation between outdoor riding and Zwift in the basement on rainy or unpleasant days. The change-up is keeping things interesting.

I gave up the indoor trainer thing years ago because, well...here's what it looked like:

The dumb trainer required a special tire for the trainer, making switching between indoor and outdoor such a chore that I rarely bothered. And slotting the skewer ends into the supports was always so fiddly, you had to readjust the roller tension every time. Plus the rear axle was fixed solid, allowing for no lateral movement, turning the whole thing into an ass hatchet. Blech.

I'm ecstatic to be doing this now:

Tonight, at the last minute, I decided against an outdoor ride because the radar showed rain. So I simply went into the shed, pulled the front wheel off (making the bike that much lighter and easier to manhandle down steps) and perched it on top of the trainer, plugged a few things in and off I went to Watopia while listening to the soundtrack of my choice. Tomorrow if it's nice enough out I'll do a ride outside.

Very happy with this.
Likes For rousseau:
Old 10-14-19, 03:16 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Zwift is a game changer. I've done several rides now, and I love it. I'm almost looking forward to winter. Well, okay, that's going a bit far. Though come to think of it, fall is turning into a fun season with the variation between outdoor riding and Zwift in the basement on rainy or unpleasant days. The change-up is keeping things interesting.

I gave up the indoor trainer thing years ago because, well...here's what it looked like:

The dumb trainer required a special tire for the trainer, making switching between indoor and outdoor such a chore that I rarely bothered. And slotting the skewer ends into the supports was always so fiddly, you had to readjust the roller tension every time. Plus the rear axle was fixed solid, allowing for no lateral movement, turning the whole thing into an ass hatchet. Blech.

I'm ecstatic to be doing this now:

Tonight, at the last minute, I decided against an outdoor ride because the radar showed rain. So I simply went into the shed, pulled the front wheel off (making the bike that much lighter and easier to manhandle down steps) and perched it on top of the trainer, plugged a few things in and off I went to Watopia while listening to the soundtrack of my choice. Tomorrow if it's nice enough out I'll do a ride outside.

Very happy with this.
What trainer is the second one?
Old 10-14-19, 05:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Having just recently obtained a used Lynx VR trainer for a fantastic deal (new they're not cheap: https://veloreality.com/product/lynx-vr-trainer-ii/), I'm about to get a Zwift setup going on a laptop, but I'm puzzled about how to perch the laptop in front of me while riding on the trainer.

What do people do? Music stands? Something else? A large screen TV isn't in the cards at the moment.

Anyone got pics of their setup they can share?
Originally Posted by zjrog
What trainer is the second one?
See OP. Lynx VR.
Old 10-14-19, 05:53 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
See OP. Lynx VR.
Stupid me, I missed that.

But seeing that trainer, that locks in the fork, makes me wonder...

Makes me wonder why I couldn't just lock in the front on this old Performance Peak Load mag trainer, and ride on the rear wheel unlocked... Ah, idle curiouosities... Even if I could, it's still just a dumb trainer... But very solid.
Old 10-14-19, 06:19 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts

I use a wahoo desk clone by a company called RAD Cycling, half the price (about 125ish I think) and it's adjustable height, wheels, and has bottle holders. I've also added another fan to my setup, so I have 2 lasko pro performance fans and that larger lasko cyclone (which isn't as good), I need every bit of cooling I can get
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-14-19, 07:18 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist

I use a wahoo desk clone by a company called RAD Cycling, half the price (about 125ish I think) and it's adjustable height, wheels, and has bottle holders. I've also added another fan to my setup, so I have 2 lasko pro performance fans and that larger lasko cyclone (which isn't as good), I need every bit of cooling I can get
That looks a lot of the setup I'm looking to get. Saris H3, that RAD desk from Amazon and the Pro Performance fan(s). How do you like it?

Trying to hold out until the big sales in Nov to get the trainer for 20% off ($800) so hopefully the weather holds out until then so I can continue to ride outdoors.
Old 10-14-19, 07:29 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
That looks a lot of the setup I'm looking to get. Saris H3, that RAD desk from Amazon and the Pro Performance fan(s). How do you like it?

Trying to hold out until the big sales in Nov to get the trainer for 20% off ($800) so hopefully the weather holds out until then so I can continue to ride outdoors.
this is a gen1 hammer (paid full price for it almost 3y ago lol) and it's as rock solid as it gets. You can pick one up for $650 new these days on clearance, something worth considering especially since subsequent gens aren't drastically different. I use this year round, since knocking out an indoor workout works better around my work schedule. I mainly use trainerroad since their workouts just fit in a lot of quality in 1-2hrs for me
Old 10-15-19, 11:03 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
this is a gen1 hammer (paid full price for it almost 3y ago lol) and it's as rock solid as it gets. You can pick one up for $650 new these days on clearance, something worth considering especially since subsequent gens aren't drastically different. I use this year round, since knocking out an indoor workout works better around my work schedule. I mainly use trainerroad since their workouts just fit in a lot of quality in 1-2hrs for me
Thanks. I'm temped by that deal but according to all the reviews I've seen Saris did quiet the H3 down to almost Neo 2T/Kickr levels. So for me I think it would be worth the extra money if I can pick one up @ 20% off which seems possible.
Old 10-16-19, 01:52 PM
rousseau

Stupid me, I missed that.
Speaking of "stupid," that's what I paid for it. They cost $4,500 new (about US$3,500). I got one from an ex-pro for $400. My guess is that it was given to him for free and he never investigated how much they really cost. The reviews I've seen say it's the best trainer money can buy, the only problem being that you need a lot of money to buy.

I feel like I hit the jackpot!

But seeing that trainer, that locks in the fork, makes me wonder...

Makes me wonder why I couldn't just lock in the front on this old Performance Peak Load mag trainer, and ride on the rear wheel unlocked... Ah, idle curiouosities... Even if I could, it's still just a dumb trainer... But very solid.
I hate the idea of putting static weight on a non-spinning front wheel. So I was looking for something where you attach the front forks. The fact that which the Lynx VR the rear wheel spins freely on a roller is icing on the cake. The lateral motion really is a game-changer, I think. I always hated the stiffness of the bike on a regular trainer.
Old 10-16-19, 05:37 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts

This was my set up last year since the bike had aero bars it was a perfect place for the iPad. This year I’m setting up an hdmi adapter to the tv.