Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TIME ATAC ROC spring adjustment

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-15-19, 02:17 PM
cuyd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I got old TIME ATAC ROC pedals with screws that can be turned, AFAIK those were spring adjusters but when I turn them left or right there's no difference. Perhaps there's some manual, time website doesn't have any as ATAC ROC is outdated. I need to set them as loose as possible.
Old 10-16-19, 10:43 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
IIRC, the primary complaint people had with the ATAC pedals was that they had very tight release. There is not much you can do short of sourcing lighter springs from a spring manufacturer and rebuilding your pedals... I am not recommending this, BTW, just the only thing I can think of that might help.

OH! Also, I think the cleats for those pedals are asymmetrical - if they are put on the wrong foot it might make release more difficult or unreliable.
Old 10-17-19, 03:03 AM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, cleats are asymmetrical - they are made like that on purpose so one setting is more tight while other is more loose. But I got them set to loose setting. The spring adjustment on pedals is different thing, there are four screws that can be adjusted, one for each spring. In newer pedal versions those screws have 3 settings but in original TIME ATAC ROC's there are no limits, the screw can be turned without limits. From what I remember turning it to one side was tightening and to other was loosening but directions were reversed for pedals(L/R).
Old 10-17-19, 07:29 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Like I said, the primary comment/complaint that I have heard about those was that the release, even when set to lowest tension, was significantly tighter than Shimano pedals that people are used to. If you require light release then you are SOL (Sadly Out of Luck). People who don't 'require' light release generally adapt to it and consider it 'more positive spring action'.

Worn cleats can also cause difficult release.
Old 10-17-19, 09:56 AM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you every try Time Aliums? I was using these previously and had no issues with clipping in and out. I am wondering is there any difference between Aliums and old ROC's. I have attached ATAC ROC picture with screws that I am trying to identify. Obviously it has to do with springs but I have no idea which side to turn them to.
Old 10-17-19, 01:28 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

I have never personally used them. I sold them in a shop I worked at, and that is where I heard of their reputation for being tight.

As fir the adjustment, yes, it certainly looks like that is the adjustment for the spring tension - that screw head looks like it turns a cam of some sort that will move the end bit of the spring up or down a few mms. I would expect that you would be able to see it move if you look down at the spring while turning the screw, or at least determine the shape of the cam so you know what position puts it lowest. Minimum tension would be when the end of the spring is furthest down. But the amount of movement possible looks to be quite small.
Old 10-26-19, 08:20 AM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have sent TIME those pictures, guess they are still wondering themselves.
Old 11-04-19, 02:53 PM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, either TIME doesn't know the answer or they don't care about "outdated" products anymore. Two weeks without answer is pretty straightforward, normally they respond within two work days.
Old 11-05-19, 08:55 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

It's not brain science, friend. The screw is a cam, and as you turn the cam the end of the spring is pushed up (for tighter release) or let down (lighter release). You can look at the spring as you turn the cam and see what it's position is. Keep in mind that one full turn of that screw will put you back where you started - it doesn't get looser and looser the more you turn it. You need to examine closely and find the spot where the screw puts the end of the spring at its lowest point. That's all there is to it.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 11-11-19, 06:22 AM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, didn't know it's just one full screw turn.