Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Small town commuter to City, winter specific.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-15-19, 11:03 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts

I've commuted through many midwest winters, albeit always in a small farming town. I've rode through snow and ice, bundled in full mountaineering gear. It's rare to see even one other vehicle on the road at times. In the summer the traffic increases, and I find I rely on my hearing sometimes to help navigate traffic, in addition to the other senses.

I'm about to start a commute now in a city, in a high traffic area. Any tips for making the switch? I've noticed that when I bundle up and cover my ears, I feel more vulnerable in traffic because I can't hear as well. I haven't tried using a mirror yet, but I'm thinking I might give that a try.
Old 10-15-19, 11:31 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
-
I have been riding in Washington D.C. for years. I do not want to sound paranoid, But I ride as though cars can not only hit me, but they are intentionally trying to. Now, I know they're not. But by riding that way I am extra cautious. And after thousands and thousands of rides in the city I have never had an accident.
-
As opposed to more rural areas, when riding in an urban area there will probably be options for different routes to the same destination. I suggest you get to know the different routes in the city where you will be riding. Some may have protected bike lanes (although they are occasionally blocked by cars with emergency flashers on and delivery vehicles). So when there is an option, instead of riding on a parallel street you can use the street designed to accommodate bikes.
-
Definitely listen to what's going on around you. But I would not suggest relying heavily on your hearing inasmuch as multiple vehicles, and the sound distortion that can happen when riding in an urban canyon (streets lined with tall buildings), can create false impressions. A car may sound farther away than it actually is. Or the city noise can mask the sound of an approaching vehicle.
-
Be careful in winter weather. The snow plows often find it convenient to deposit piles of snow near intersections, or even in bike lanes. Or they don't plow/clear the bike lanes. The route you thought you knew can change significantly while snow is on the ground.
-
Also, be careful of pedestrians stepping off the curb into your path. They may even look your way. But if they are looking for cars they may overlook you and step right out in front of you (even when their crosswalk light indicates "Do Not Walk").
-
I don't use mirrors when riding in the city, so I can't speak to that.
-
Lastly, don't be afraid to "take the lane" if the conditions make it the safest option.
-
Enjoy your riding and be safe.
-

Last edited by DC Bike Blogger; 10-15-19 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For DC Bike Blogger:
Old 10-15-19, 12:42 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Pick your route carefully. Many, if not most, cities will have multi-lane thoroughfares paralleled by smaller streets, perhaps with stop signs or more red lights. Those small streets can be bicycle superhighways, great routes to get through the big downtown and out into less trafficked areas. Add a half mile to your commute and you won't recognize it as being in the same city.

See if there are other bike commuters in your new area. Some may have odd preferences, but they'll also know those smaller roads that you'll be looking for.

If you haven't done it, taking the lane sounds crazy but often works well. In stop and go traffic you'll be able to move with the cars, although you might slow them down for 5-10 seconds until you get to the next line of stopped cars.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-15-19, 04:46 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I've commuted through many midwest winters, albeit always in a small farming town. I've rode through snow and ice, bundled in full mountaineering gear. It's rare to see even one other vehicle on the road at times. In the summer the traffic increases, and I find I rely on my hearing sometimes to help navigate traffic, in addition to the other senses.

I'm about to start a commute now in a city, in a high traffic area. Any tips for making the switch? I've noticed that when I bundle up and cover my ears, I feel more vulnerable in traffic because I can't hear as well. I haven't tried using a mirror yet, but I'm thinking I might give that a try.
I’m a decades-long, year-round commuter in Boston. Besides advice about picking routes as above, specifically for winter riding I have studded tires on all winter long from December to March.

I’m an incessant advocate for mirrors, and I wear left and right (link). Besides rearward traffic, oncoming traffic could be hazardous due to skidding. You always need to know what’s behind if you need to take evasive action, and roads may be narrowed by snowbanks.
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
... I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
I have frequently posted about my mindset to keep aware of unexpected dangers, particularly in the urban environment, using safety aphorisms for various situations I encounter

Finally, I have posted about dressing for winter riding, especially eyewear to avoid fogging.
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you…

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
(from a now-closed thread) In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads.

They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-15-19 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 10-15-19, 06:49 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Longtime urban rider/commuter in the PNW. I agree almost everything above. A couple little things I would add. The two most dangerous, near-misses I have had in the last 6 months were with a pedestrian who crossed diagonally in the middle of a very dark street, despite there being two perfectly good crosswalks available. Miracle I didn't hit him, but I am on my toes at all times and I had just enough room to stop with my excellent Shimano rim brakes. So, pedestrians. Watch out. They do crazy s***.

The second near-disaster I just had recently was a guy again on a very dark street, racing down the hill in the correct bike lane with no lights, no reflectors, no reflective clothing. Invisible. He came within inches of t-boning me. I'd say he was going maybe 20-22 mph. Saw him literally at the last microsecond out of the corner of my peripheral vision.

So, it's everybody. Cars, buses, trucks, peds, cyclists. Oh yeah, and I don't really know the situation in your newly adopted city, but if you have scooters there, watch out. Those things could show up anywhere. Be safe!!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-16-19, 06:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I haven't tried using a mirror yet, but I'm thinking I might give that a try.
Glasses (or helmet) mounted Take-A-Look mirror. Just $12 bucks.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...QaAt8iEALw_wcB
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-16-19, 06:49 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by DC Bike Blogger
-
I have been riding in Washington D.C. for years. I do not want to sound paranoid, But I ride as though cars can not only hit me, but they are intentionally trying to. Now, I know they're not. But by riding that way I am extra cautious. And after thousands and thousands of rides in the city I have never had an accident.
-
As opposed to more rural areas, when riding in an urban area there will probably be options for different routes to the same destination. I suggest you get to know the different routes in the city where you will be riding. Some may have protected bike lanes (although they are occasionally blocked by cars with emergency flashers on and delivery vehicles). So when there is an option, instead of riding on a parallel street you can use the street designed to accommodate bikes.
-
Definitely listen to what's going on around you. But I would not suggest relying heavily on your hearing inasmuch as multiple vehicles, and the sound distortion that can happen when riding in an urban canyon (streets lined with tall buildings), can create false impressions. A car may sound farther away than it actually is. Or the city noise can mask the sound of an approaching vehicle.
-
Be careful in winter weather. The snow plows often find it convenient to deposit piles of snow near intersections, or even in bike lanes. Or they don't plow/clear the bike lanes. The route you thought you knew can change significantly while snow is on the ground.
-
Also, be careful of pedestrians stepping off the curb into your path. They may even look your way. But if they are looking for cars they may overlook you and step right out in front of you (even when their crosswalk light indicates "Do Not Walk").
-
I don't use mirrors when riding in the city, so I can't speak to that.
-
Lastly, don't be afraid to "take the lane" if the conditions make it the safest option.
-
Enjoy your riding and be safe.
-
I agree with everything, except I use mirrors (glasses mounted and handle bar mount).
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-16-19, 06:55 AM
BobbyG

Besides mirrors, I have been using a Delta AirZound airhorn on each of my bikes. Sometimes it helps to have a voice in traffic.
(The newer, metal cannister works better in winter than the oldrr plastic ones.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Delta-Air...MaAmszEALw_wcB

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-16-19, 09:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I commute in NYC. There is a lot of half-lane changing and darting left and right, and everyone does this. When there are snowbanks, this gets more dangerous. I may not have the reflexes to stop or dart in enough time while avoiding being hit. On days like that, I skip riding. I am pretty tough and ride in many challenging conditions, but where there is an unpredictable pattern of slippery stuff, I might be beyond my limit.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-17-19, 11:09 AM
riverdrifter

Thanks guys! Lots to think about.
Old 01-23-20, 09:15 AM
riverdrifter

So a little update here. It's been a rough winter since I moved to the city. The traffic, and the horrible condition of the streets has me pretty freaked out. Holes, humps, cracks, and crap everywhere. All the ice and slush and snow in anything resembling a bike lane is pretty scary for me too. So anyway I am not commuting. I'm barely riding my bike at all actually, and I miss it. You guys and gals doing the commute in the cities got my full respect for sure! I'll try again in the spring and see what happens.
Old 01-23-20, 10:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I'm sorry to hear that, but there is a lot to adjust to, and winter just pushed you over the top. Good idea to try again in the spring. Spring is a time for hope.

I need to keep a sustained effort in order to bike-commute in the winter. If I take too many days off, it's very hard to get back on. It's true that it's hard in the city. So far, I might have ridden more this winter than any other, so that's nice. Luckily we haven't had significant snow yet. Snow and ice are much bigger deterrents for me than cold temperatures and wind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 01-23-20, 06:12 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm sorry to hear that, but there is a lot to adjust to, and winter just pushed you over the top. Good idea to try again in the spring. Spring is a time for hope.

I need to keep a sustained effort in order to bike-commute in the winter. If I take too many days off, it's very hard to get back on. It's true that it's hard in the city. So far, I might have ridden more this winter than any other, so that's nice. Luckily we haven't had significant snow yet. Snow and ice are much bigger deterrents for me than cold temperatures and wind.
Thanks! I'll stay hopeful!
Old 01-24-20, 10:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

There is a lot of skill to learn, and one of them is dealing with fear. You can learn these things if you want, but taking a break over winter isn't a bad idea.

Old 01-25-20, 06:33 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Use google maps to find your bike commute route. It helps, might be a little longer, but safer.