Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2T Tecnotelai Bologna Track Frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 05:24 AM
QuangVuong

Bikes: 89 Centurion Carbon, 91 Peugeot Izoard, 90s Giant Cadex 980c

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I saw this in the local classifieds. Even in the fixie guise, I managed to spot a quality frame, particularly the steep HT, drilled track ends, and pantographed crown. Please excuse the extreme fixieness, it is how I purchased it.

Initially, I thought Losa. But after some searching around, it probably isnt a Losa. The Losa crown pantograph is only an outline. Plus Losa used the 'teardrop' cutout on many of his frames, such on in the link below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33588433@N04/8699794006

The crown on my frame is very similar, but is different. The whole crown is engraved along with an underline. Such as found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133738...2/18409772111/
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...rack-form.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ork-crown.html
DSC_0250_zpsdd9196c3.jpg Photo by stevecasecafc | Photobucket
altro telaio da identificare.... - Discussioni generali - FIXEDFORUM.it

This is the crown pantograph on the fork crown. Makes things very hard to actually search for.

Most of these threads suggested Losa, but I do have my doubts. Especially after finding this thread. The actual builder could be possibly 2T Tecnotelai Bologna. The crown is the same, and the lug cutouts in the link is the same as the cutout on the fork crown.
Frame Identification ?? | Retrobike

My frame has drilled Shimano track ends. Can't clearly see any names on the fork tips. It probably is under the paint somewhere. I know the chain is pon backwards, but this is how I purchased it.

And a triple slotted BB shell with 065 hand stamped onto it.

Lugs. I've seen this shape before, but I can't seem to put a name to it.

I have only just picked it up today, so I haven't pulled it apart fully to see what is inside. Forgot to check the BB threading too. What do you guys reckon it is?

Last edited by QuangVuong; 05-26-16 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 02:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
That's a Mercier fork crown panto, isn't it? Is the BB/HS threading French? Lugs appear to be Bocama Competitions.

Btw, strange looking plates on that chain - I've never seen that before

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 05-22-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 11:27 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I highly doubt it's a Mercier as Mercier's crown is totally different. The chain is a KMC 710 which is installed upside down.

I got some time and pulled the bike apart.

Fork crown and cutout

HT Lugs

Seat lug

Brake bridge

BB shell. There is pinning in the DT and ST.

Shimano track ends. Not sure what the fork tips are

065 on the BB shell as well as steerer.

The weirdest part is that the BB is 70mm wide, but it is English threaded.

~1900g frame and ~650g fork. The steerer has the 5 spirals, like Columbus, so it probably is some sort of Tecnotelai Columbus tubing. With a 27.2mm seat post. Does anyone know any more? Are 2T a lug and tubing manufacturer or a builder?
Old 06-02-16, 03:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Stumbled across this Ebay auction today and noticed the fork crown engraving: Barelli from 1975 Shimano Dura Ace Campagnolo Steel Vintage Bicycle Mafac Brooks | eBay

DD
Old 07-06-16, 03:40 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Never got a reply from that seller about what the Barelli is. It sure does have the same fork crown though. And the lugs have the same cutout as on the fork crown. A fellow Aussie does have one with Zues tips throughout, and did say it was a COLOMBO, however he doesn't have any pics, nor could he find his saved info. HOwever he is a very knowledgable person. I did have a look around for Colombo, but to no avail. For now, I will leave it unbranded. Might make up a crown as a HT badge.

I paint stripped the frame. The orange paint was some really bad paint. It was already wanting to come off with some wiping over with petrol. With paint stripper on it, the orange paint just slid off leaving the white paint underneath.

This is what's underneath. Almost no rust underneath which is great.

Upper HT lug. I though someone just filled in the lug cutout with a lot of paint, but its more due to excessive brass being used during the construction of the frame. Not the cleanest shorelines I've seen, but its not too bad. The cutout is sort of triangular. A clear pic is further down below.

Same deal with the lower HT lug. I still can't put a name to the lug manufacturer of this and the seat lug.

ST lug

The crown in a crown. The ~26.4mm crown seat looks funky too, probably someone trying to increase the seat diameter.

Huge scalloped seat stay caps. These look like seat stays that have been cut, and then with some scrap seat stay halves brazed onto the hollow stays to act as caps.

Brake bridge

Rear tips are Shimano SFP 10mm. Front tips dont have any branding visible.

Brass used in excess around the BB too.

You can spot the pin used on the frame on the underside of the DT section. Pins were used throughout the frame, and there are actually no vent holes at all.
Old 07-06-16, 03:41 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Clearer image of the serial 065.

Columbus rifling. Take note of the two pins used in the crown to fork blade. There however isnt a pin for the steerer.

The above pics show the frame with just the paint removed. Whilst I was sanding and prepping the frame for paint, I found this stamp inside the white circle.

It is barely visible, but I believe it is a Columbus stamp. It'll be a pre 78 stamp as I can make out CO of Columbus, but none of the bird. However it is only the pre 78 logo that's got the Columbus word underneath the bird. Like this:

Going off this, I reckon this frame is dated to about the late 70s or very early 80s at latest. The Shimano SFP tips are from the late 70s-mid 80s, and the tubing stamp if pre 70s. Although tubes can sit around for a while, my estimate shouldn't be too far off. I'd also guess that the frame is Columbus SL off its weight.

After prepping the frame by sanding everything particularly the rust spots, it is time for masking off the important areas.

Yes, I got rid of the rust around the BB shell edge after the pic.

It is important to stick the edges down properly. It will keep paint from bleeding under the tape, as well as allow for sharp edges when the tape is peeled.

Etch primer when on first. Then spray putty in any rough spots. I just use Supercheap Auto spray cans. Its good enough, and easy to use. Black base coat is also Supercheap branded acrylic spray paint. The spray pattern is a bit blotchy for my liking, but it doesnt matter a huge amount as I can hide the orange peel finish under the next coats anyway.

I filled in the crown and cutouts with waterbased craft acrylic. Wasn't such a good idea as I found out afterwards. The colour was visible over the top of white.
Old 07-06-16, 03:42 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I went for another colour changing powder called Sunkiss. Sort of a gold purple maroon colour change.

1g per 40mL of clear. I dont have a measuring cup, so I just went by feel. I used Septone acrylic clear coat.

Sprayed out of my airbrush(0.2mm tip I think it was. Just some cheap gravity fed dual action airbrush with a big cup). Many coats later I got a solid enough colour, then I refilled the pantos and lug cutouts. And sprayed a full 400g can of Supercheap Acrylic Clear. I had run out of Septone clear, but using a can is easy and means no clean up needed. With good enough technique, a good finish with spray cans is definitely achievable.

I really like drilled tips.

It is an amazing colour which is really hard to capture. Here's a video, but Photobucket rendered it pretty ugly. Seeing it in real life is totally different to the pics and this vid.
Old 07-06-16, 04:31 AM
Pawlus

Bikes: Moser Leader NP, Koga Miyata WT 86'

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow that turned out amazing. You did great job with the paint!
Old 07-06-16, 06:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
QV,
Your paint job turned out very nice, interesting choice of colourway for this project. Using the black undercoat gave the top coats a really deep appearance, good touch, and quite a super detail. Please continue with posting this build, I always enjoy your threads about the bikes you take on.

Any ideas as to the wheelset, and other components for this project?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-31-17, 04:39 PM
Old n Tired

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work! Thanks for documenting the resto. Did you ever ID the forks?
I bought a bike from the Gold Coast That has the same forks and a mix of Campagnolo and other components. All late 70s or early 80s.

Cheers
Old 02-01-17, 03:05 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Old n Tired
Great work! Thanks for documenting the resto. Did you ever ID the forks?
I bought a bike from the Gold Coast That has the same forks and a mix of Campagnolo and other components. All late 70s or early 80s.

Cheers
I couldn't go get any further verification on the crown, just whatever I had early in this thread.

Got a pic of yours?
Old 02-01-17, 09:59 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
That is how you properly finish a seat stay. Caps are the easy way of doing it and extremely less time consuming but also a lot heavier. Most seat stay caps feel like small anchors.