Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

tent for a solo tour across canada

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 01:06 AM
mymorningjacket

Bikes: Norco Threshold, Masi Giramondo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need help deciding which tent I will need for a 3-4 month tour across Canada this May. I have about a $200-$400 budget. Preferably light as possible for obvious reasons. Single or double doesn't matter. I've had people tell me to get a double so I can fit all my panniers and gear inside with me. Still think a single will be the way to go. I was looking at Big Agnes tents, but like I said, im still not sure.
Old 02-01-17, 05:48 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymorningjacket
Need help deciding which tent I will need for a 3-4 month tour across Canada this May. I have about a $200-$400 budget. Preferably light as possible for obvious reasons. Single or double doesn't matter. I've had people tell me to get a double so I can fit all my panniers and gear inside with me. Still think a single will be the way to go. I was looking at Big Agnes tents, but like I said, im still not sure.
My Big Agnes tents have served me well. I like my seedhousesl2. Relatively light for the price, and its green! Heh. Some people don't like climbing in from the end, but I don't have a problem with it. I'd get the 2 man for sure. Being out for 3-4 months justifies the slightly roomier home.
Old 02-01-17, 06:16 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
I'd get the 2 man for sure. Being out for 3-4 months justifies the slightly roomier home.
+1 on the two-man. You'll appreciate the extra room when its bad outside and you have to stay in for a while.
Old 02-01-17, 06:28 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Big Agnes tents are certainly good quality although a friend had problems with the zippers on his after a number of trips. I have really liked the features of my Eureka Spitfire-1 for both cycling and backpacking trips. I have plenty of room for my panniers inside and it has more headroom than most small tents for ease in sitting up when reading or getting dressed. Comes in right at 3 lbs. and is way under your budget so you could spend more on other items to lower their weight.
Old 02-01-17, 06:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I posted a thread on this in Touring a week or two ago. Plus I did a fair amount of research on this as well. I ended up buying a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2. It weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces (the footprint adds 6 additional ounces). I obviously haven't tried the tent yet but I was impressed with the quality of the stakes, tie down, and material. It's a nice tent. Big Agnes makes lighter tents but the material gets lighter as well and I wanted something that struck a compromise between lightweight and durability.

I was looking for advice on a 1 person tent but decided to go with a 2 person one,

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...nt-advice.html

The one downside to the seedhouse as someone mentioned is that it only has one opening. Another tent I seriously considered (one of the posters on my thread really liked) was the sierra design flashlight 2 which weighs 4 pounds (not bad for a two person tent) and made of a little heavier nylon (which is not a bad thing in my book). I like the openings on either side for viewing.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-01-17 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 06:53 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
side entry big agnes, copper spur ul 2 or 3.
Old 02-01-17, 08:30 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I own a highly rate BA Fly Creek UL2, but for me, the Gatewood Cape beats it on every measure. ~60% the pack size/weight of the BA, and far more versatile/practical (for me). I'll 2nd side entry - stored gear blocks doorways on end entries.
Old 02-01-17, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
1. Go to the Advanced Search function.

2. Search the Touring forum for "Tent" in thread titles only.

Doing this will return 8 other threads about tents that were started since 10/10/16.

IMO, it's time for this to become the subject of a sticky.
Old 02-01-17, 09:09 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
another Copper spur 2. Rei's 20% off should be coming up. Another 5% for using their credit card.
Old 02-01-17, 11:23 AM
dh024

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I am from Canada and have done a lot of shopping recently looking for a tent. I hate to say it, but you aren't going to be able to buy a Big Agnes ultralight tent on your budget up here in Canada, unless you stumble upon a really great sale someplace or you buy used.

Here is what I recommend for your price range, and from a Canadian seller:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-9...k-UL-2%2B-Tent

Advantages:
- lots of room for one person (like others, I strongly encourage you to NOT go with a one-person tent), including gear, which is always nice to have in the tent with you
- side entry, and dual doors, which means you can get excellent ventilation in this tent (very important, especially in cooler climates like much of Canada where condensation will become an issue at night)
- you aren't likely to find a tent that packs smaller or is significantly lighter weight in your price range
- I have seen this tent in the store, and the quality is excellent, for an ultralight tent
- tent is free-standing (very handy often, and very stable), and you can pitch it without the fly for those clear, hot summer nights when you want to watch the stars while you fall asleep! (priceless, IMO)

Disadvantages:
- little vestibule space, but that shouldn't be an issue for just one person (bring all your gear inside)
- one reviewer claimed that the fly didn't offer enough coverage to protect from high wind and rain, but I doubt this would be an issue with just one person in the tent

FWIW, I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 a few years ago, and absolutely love that tent. But if I had to replace it, I think the MEC tent above is actually better suited to bike touring/bikepacking, and it is less expensive.
Old 02-01-17, 02:10 PM
Will Wheeler

Bikes: Gavia Verona. Scott Sportster. Diamant Photon.

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the wisest thing you can do is to go on ebay and get one of those Chinese "Trackman" 2-person tents. While the snobs may stare a bit at you for having "that tent", I think I can promise you that it will do the job just fine in the summer season, because I have one myself and...
The tent is pretty lightweight and actually quite good!
Yes, all seams are sealed.
Old 02-01-17, 09:27 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Big Agnes tents are certainly good quality although a friend had problems with the zippers on his after a number of trips. I have really liked the features of my Eureka Spitfire-1 for both cycling and backpacking trips. I have plenty of room for my panniers inside and it has more headroom than most small tents for ease in sitting up when reading or getting dressed. Comes in right at 3 lbs. and is way under your budget so you could spend more on other items to lower their weight.
+1! My bf and I love our Eureka Spitfire 1. Fits us both comfortably. Easy to set up/take down. Lightweight. No condensation issues.
Old 02-01-17, 10:06 PM
trentb1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 High Volume is what I sometimes use for bikepacking, weighs under 2lbs but it's only a 3-season tent. The UL3 is huge for 1 person and weighs just a tad more. Other options (and the one I prefer) would be a ultralight hammock, with a 10x10 or larger siltarp (can store your bike under it) and a down under quilt for really cold nights. If you're going single wall check out some of the cuben fiber tents (z-pack one company off the top of my head). If you need 4-season hilleberg makes some bombproof lightweight ones.
Old 02-02-17, 12:35 AM
mymorningjacket

Bikes: Norco Threshold, Masi Giramondo

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
I am from Canada and have done a lot of shopping recently looking for a tent. I hate to say it, but you aren't going to be able to buy a Big Agnes ultralight tent on your budget up here in Canada, unless you stumble upon a really great sale someplace or you buy used.
They do seem to have good quality tents, but I found that MEC extremely overprices their tents for some reason.

REI right now is having a sale. 20% off a bunch of different tents. I was looking at the Copper Spur ul1. https://www.rei.com/product/865388/b...spur-ul-1-tent
It may be only a 1 person tent but it seems like such a great deal.
Old 02-02-17, 01:03 AM
dh024

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
They do seem to have good quality tents, but I found that MEC extremely overprices their tents for some reason.

REI right now is having a sale. 20% off a bunch of different tents. I was looking at the Copper Spur ul1. https://www.rei.com/product/865388/b...spur-ul-1-tent
It may be only a 1 person tent but it seems like such a great deal.
It's only a great deal if you get the product that suits your needs - I would keep an open mind to the suggestions you are receiving here.

And MEC certainly does not "extremely overprice" their tents, particularly their house-branded ones. I find it very odd that you would even reply with that. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 02-02-17, 06:40 AM
Flintshooter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ultralight tent

I have nothing against REI or any of the other major outdoor gear retailers.
But.
There are some cottage or semi-cottage makers out there that have better gear. Often, at better prices.
I have an MSR Hubba Hubba that I like a lot. But for a trip last summer it was replaced by a Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo. The difference in weight can allow a lot of Snickers bars.
It appears that I'm not allowed to post a link so just Google Six Moons Designs.
Old 02-02-17, 07:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
This thread is appropriate for Groundhog Day.

Old 02-02-17, 08:52 AM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Agnes SL1. Done.
Old 02-02-17, 01:03 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flintshooter
I have nothing against REI or any of the other major outdoor gear retailers.
But.
There are some cottage or semi-cottage makers out there that have better gear. Often, at better prices.
I have an MSR Hubba Hubba that I like a lot. But for a trip last summer it was replaced by a Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo. The difference in weight can allow a lot of Snickers bars.
It appears that I'm not allowed to post a link so just Google Six Moons Designs.
MSR is great but they're also a major company. Based in Seattle, they were purchased by REI (also in Seattle) in the 80's and then by Cascade Designs (also in Seattle) in 2001. Cascade Designs also owns Therm-a-Rest, Platypus, SealLine etc.
Old 02-02-17, 02:07 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeliciousBabe
MSR is great but they're also a major company. Based in Seattle, they were purchased by REI (also in Seattle) in the 80's and then by Cascade Designs (also in Seattle) in 2001. Cascade Designs also owns Therm-a-Rest, Platypus, SealLine etc.
You missed his point... he prefers his cottage industry SMD tent MORE THAN his major manufacturer MSR tent - similar to what I mentioned above between my SMD and BA tent.
Old 02-02-17, 02:08 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
There are a lot of good tents available. I believe that a good tent is a good investment. My experience riding in Canada, Vancouver to Winnipeg and several shorter trips, is that you will see a lot of rain. Riding across the plains we experience thunderstorms almost every day. A good tent will keep you dry.

While a 1-person tent may be a little cheaper and maybe a little lighter, a 2-person tent is a lot more comfortable and offers more room if you want or need to sit out a "weather day". However, I don't see any benefit in taking my panniers and gear inside the tent. If you have waterproof panniers, there is no need. Tents, like most things, are a compromise.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-17, 02:25 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
You missed his point... he prefers his cottage industry SMD tent MORE THAN his major manufacturer MSR tent - similar to what I mentioned above between my SMD and BA tent.
He mentioned the MSR tent after saying that so no, I didn't miss his point. But hey thanks for pretending to know what I'm thinking.
Old 02-02-17, 02:36 PM
Flintshooter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeliciousBabe
I realize MSR is a major company. But the tent I now use is produced by Six Moons Designs and they are not. Nor are companies like Z-Packs, or Hyperlight Mountain Gear. Most ultralight backpacking gear can be used for cycling as well. And you will seldom if ever find it for sale at a major retailer.
Old 02-02-17, 03:03 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
However, I don't see any benefit in taking my panniers and gear inside the tent. If you have waterproof panniers, there is no need. Tents, like most things, are a compromise.
I just find it more convenient to take the panniers in rather than trying to figure out in advance exactly which items I might want to have inside the tent. Only takes a few seconds to remove the panniers and put them in the tent. Then I don't need to go out in the rain to get the book I decide to read or the clothes I want on the colder than expected morning, etc.
Old 02-02-17, 04:23 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I just find it more convenient to take the panniers in rather than trying to figure out in advance exactly which items I might want to have inside the tent. Only takes a few seconds to remove the panniers and put them in the tent. Then I don't need to go out in the rain to get the book I decide to read or the clothes I want on the colder than expected morning, etc.
Reading this, I am glad it was pointed out.
Although obvious and rather simple to us who have experience touring. Some that are dreaming up their first season of touring might over look the importance of hunkering down for a "spell". Having all your stuff inside your shelter can be rather convenient.
I support a 2 person tent, what ever brand you chose.

Good luck touring. Ottawa is going to be the place to be on July 1st this year.

Hope this helps,

-Snuts-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.