Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bottom brackets

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 06:08 PM
Special_k44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bottom brackets

i have checked all over the inter web and cannot find a difinitive answer. I have a dura ace 7400 crankset and want to find a sealed bottom bracket that will work. The issue of course is that the dura ace set up is an iso taper spindle not jis. Anyone know of a iso sealed bottom bracket that isn’t 150+ dollars?

thanks,
Old 12-02-18, 06:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Special_k44
i have checked all over the inter web and cannot find a difinitive answer. I have a dura ace 7400 crankset and want to find a sealed bottom bracket that will work. The issue of course is that the dura ace set up is an iso taper spindle not jis. Anyone know of a iso sealed bottom bracket that isn’t 150+ dollars?

thanks,
I question this statement. That crank should be JIS. Hopefully someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of 8 speed vintage Shimano can verify.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...9-25BD46C6E0AC

If it is JIS, Velo Orange should have a taper BB to suit you.
Old 12-02-18, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
The 7400 cranks are actually JIS taper the older stuff was ISO tapered but once they moved to 7400 they adopted their own dang industrial standard. You can use a UN-55 113 and it should work fine but is not up to top end Dura Ace standards. If I wasn't going Phil Wood (as I did on mine) IRD QB-95 Defiant would be an excellent choice in a much higher quality to mate with that excellent crank but not as expensive. The 1mm won't make a yuuge difference. They are excellent cranks and currently what is on my Phil Wood Apple VeloXS frame (hence the Phil Wood BB, if not for that frame the other frame would have been a QB-95 Defiant with out question).

The crank @Marcus_Ti mention is the 7410 series which was a little newer and the last of that sort of styling (boooooo, Shimano, booooooo) but a Velo Orange would be similar-ish to the UN-55 quality wise which is perfectly fine.
The VeloBase you want is:
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano FC-7400, Dura-Ace

Curious to know more about the build and what you are up to because this sounds right up my alley. While I will fully admit I do like the look of 600 Tricolor and Arabesque better, 7400 is one of my favorite performers and is not bad too look at. You should stick around and post a bunch and then show us some pictures (you have to have 10 posts to post pictures but that is super easy around here as there are tons of excellent sub forums and threads about all sorts of different topics).