Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Steve Bauer bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Steve Bauer bike

Old 07-19-19, 03:21 PM
dcsteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mystery Steve Bauer bike

Hi there, I recently bought a bike off of kiji and I was hoping to get some information on it. The guy I bought it from has had it since '92. He bought it at John's Cycle and Sports in Orangeville, Ontario and I have an estimate they did on the bike from Sept 8, 1992 for $3,000. He was told it was one of ten made that year. It's kind of a turquoise colour and has steve bauer and B decals, also says vortex on it. He said it is all original except it originally had tubular tires and he had the wheels rebuilt with mavic rims. It has a Tange Prestige frame and fork, dura-ace drive train, brake levers and hubs. Also has Modolo brakes and Campaganolo pedals. It's in pretty great shape just some scratches and paint chips here and there. Its hard to find any info on it and definitely appreciate and help. I have a bunch of pictures to put up and will do that when I can.
Old 07-19-19, 04:17 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Also, I'm pretty new to road bikes but man I am loving this thing. I've had it out about every morning, just so much quicker than my mountain bike. I think i'm hooked ha.
Old 07-19-19, 04:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Be careful about exagerrated quotes on value for vintage steel frames. Prestige was nice tubing but not worth anywhere near that much back in the day. Still, we look forward to pictures, it could be a unique bike.
Post once more today, 5 times tomorrow and Sunday you can post pics.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-19-19, 04:36 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, will do. Yeah i wondered if the quote was high for insurance purposes when he bought it, just trying to provide all the information about it i was given. Pretty sure he said he paid close to that. Also it has a cinelli stem and handlebars. Pretty cool guy, used the bike a ton and kept it in his bedroom for over twenty years. He used to race a bunch and did quite a bit of marathons, but he got ms a few years ago. He is doing pretty good but said he doesn't have the balance to ride anymore. Really sad, I felt kinda bad buying it from him.
Old 07-19-19, 05:38 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Vortex was a standard production frame. They used the same Prestige frame on the Cyclone. A Dura-Ace bicycle with Prestige frame would have cost ~$2000 CDN in 1992 but this is probably older, as the brand was demoted being stocked by Canadian Tire in 1991. Based on the description it sounds pre-1988. A Shimano, Campagnolo and Modolo mix definitely isn't OEM. More has been changed than just the rims and tyres.

Even though you do not have 10 posts, you can still upload pictures. They won't attach to the thread but will be deposited in a gallery album where members can view them.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-20-19, 08:18 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Do you happen to know a good resource on Bauer bike models? I have been trying to find some info in the internet to no avail.
Old 07-21-19, 07:11 AM
T-Mar

I'm not aware on any online resources for Steve Bauer bicycles. If you want more information on your bicycle, please post pictures and the serial number. As previously noted, the 10 post minimum does not prevent uploading pictures to the site.
Old 07-21-19, 10:59 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Vortex was a standard production frame. They used the same Prestige frame on the Cyclone. A Dura-Ace bicycle with Prestige frame would have cost ~$2000 CDN in 1992 but this is probably older, as the brand was demoted being stocked by Canadian Tire in 1991. Based on the description it sounds pre-1988. A Shimano, Campagnolo and Modolo mix definitely isn't OEM. More has been changed than just the rims and tyres.

Even though you do not have 10 posts, you can still upload pictures. They won't attach to the thread but will be deposited in a gallery album where members can view them.
It was quite a demotion, but wasn't bad for a big box store MTB of the era. I bought one of them about that time. Picture I found on the web, but it looked like this.
Old 07-21-19, 09:07 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Old 07-21-19, 09:08 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Likes For dcsteve:
Old 07-21-19, 09:12 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
serial number is FS 48358
Old 07-21-19, 09:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
That is the nicest Bauer frame I've seen. Congrats.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-22-19, 06:23 AM
T-Mar

As I suspected, that's an early Steve Bauer, circa 1986-1987, as 1986 was the first model year for the company and the graphics changed for the 1988 model year. The serial number could be reverse engineered for anything from mid-1984 to late 1986. I'm leaning towards the latter and a 1987 model manufactured in late 1986.

While it's a mix of various generations of Dura-Ace, I don't see any 7100 series. The crankset, front derailleur and brake levers appear to be 7400 series, which would be era correct.

While the Vortex was a high end model, it was not top of the line during this era. Bauer's contract with La Vie Claire (1986) and Toshiba (1987) allowed him to ride Steve Bauer bicycles when competing in Canada. To this end, there was a Steve Bauer branded bicycle with Campagnolo C-Record (1986) and Dura-Ace (1987) which he used in Canadian races and the company put out a limited edition replica, complete with number peg.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-22-19, 01:15 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Nice bike - and an interesting discussion.

I see Steve Bauer bikes occasionally in the shop I work at in Vancouver, including some pretty nice ones - but this is a particularly nice frame.

Would be keen to see one of the limited edition bikes T-Mar mentions.

One note regarding setup/safety on the OP's pictured bike: it sure looks as though there are no more than a couple of cm's of seatpost in the frame!

Pic that shows the seat lug/binder ears from the back seems to show that the bottom of the post isn't even all the way down to the base of the lug. If this was 'as received' and has been corrected, disregard - but it would definitely be unwise to ride in the pictured state (i.e. unsafe and likely to cause damage to the frame).
Old 07-22-19, 01:19 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, yeah that's as recieved. I've since lowered it.
Old 07-22-19, 01:21 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dcsteve
Thanks, yeah that's as recieved. I've since lowered it.
Thought that might be the case - but didn't want to fail to mention it...

Cool bike!
Old 07-22-19, 05:36 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 522 Posts
Tange Prestige was very good heat treated, very lightweight tubing. Some builders even admitted that Prestige was much better, more consistent quality that its Columbus and Reynolds competition from the period.
Old 07-22-19, 09:52 PM
dcsteve

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
T-mar, do you happen to know what that sticker that says opf on the back of the frame is for?
Old 07-22-19, 10:32 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Tange Prestige was very good heat treated, very lightweight tubing. Some builders even admitted that Prestige was much better, more consistent quality that its Columbus and Reynolds competition from the period.
I purchased a Schwinn Prologue with Tange Prestige tubing as a frameset from Bike Nashbar back in 1987,Those frames were hand made in Japan for Schwinn and the Prestige tubing( like you mention) came very highly regarded and reviewed. I built up that bike with Dura Ace/Shimano 600 parts and raced it for 1 season. Great handling and comfortable bicycle.

Wish I still had it but I sold it,,,but I have pictures of it somewhere..oh yeah its my Avatar pic.
Old 07-22-19, 11:58 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Just a tidbit that I found interesting — the wrench flat of the right pedal is marked with a D, which should mean that your Dura Ace crank is French thread (“droite”).
Old 07-23-19, 04:54 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by dcsteve
T-mar, do you happen to know what that sticker that says opf on the back of the frame is for?
Sorry, no I don't.
Old 08-19-19, 02:01 PM
gryclyne

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe a bike licence no., issued by the Orangeville Police Force? Some Ontario municipalities, including Toronto, had by-laws requiring that (and at least a few still seem to - e.g. Stratford) with the Police Dept. distributing them. No idea about Orangeville, though.
Old 08-19-19, 02:33 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Just a tidbit that I found interesting — the wrench flat of the right pedal is marked with a D, which should mean that your Dura Ace crank is French thread (“droite”).
"Right" in Italian is destra, as you'd expect for a Italian pedal.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 08-19-19, 03:03 PM
Dsprok

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
That is the nicest Bauer frame I've seen. Congrats.
^ plus 1
Old 08-19-19, 07:15 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
super awesome bike! your front quick release lever should be angled up along the fork blade, or straight back if you prefer, that way you don't accidently snag it on something while riding and have your wheel come loose.

i'm way jealous, it's my favorite color, just the right amount of patina, and even looks to be around my size!
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.