Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TdF 2019 - Stage 20

Old 07-27-19, 05:26 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Yeah, I realized it wasn't likely to happen, but I could envision the scenario where it might happen one day, and I was wondering if Alaphillipe might be close enough to have at least been in a position to have been tempted. When I was told he was down in 5th place, I wasn't even considering it hypothetically anymore.
But, if we one day have a TDF with 2 riders (or even 3 or 4!) all within 10-15 seconds of each other, I'm thinking somebody is going to say, "the hell with tradition, this is a bike race, and it ain't over till the fat lady sings" ! And if/when that happens, the other guys will probably have no choice but to follow suit (or at least have a good excuse ! ).
I thought it would be awesome, the NBC guys discussed it and figured like you said if the gap was small like maybe 20 seconds. The thing also is that Bora, Jumbo and Ineos won't give up their positions and those are teams with huge firepower.

It would be wild if say the French teams all ganged up with some peloton blocking and some time trialing.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 07-27-19, 05:27 PM
sofaman

Bikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial 64cm; Basso Ascot 62cm; 2018 Giant TCR KOM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, that was an excellent stage, not just for the Nibali win, but in showing what very, very, very likely would have happened to Alaphilipe if stage 19 would have continued.

What a win for the fans, this race had a little bit for everyone, and so many different stage winners, and such a high level of unpredictability.