Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I gots the belly slap

Old 09-05-19, 06:41 AM
Brando_T.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gots the belly slap

So if you look to the left, you'll see I joined here about 11 years ago. And I did fantastic for a while. Then I started a new job, with a commute & a 7 am start. That summer I completed a solo century, about 170km, and then.....stopped. That was six years ago.

In those six years, I put on more weight, basically stopped exercising, developed depression and quit that job. So a great run.

I've tried and tried to get back in the saddle (literally), but it just hasn't happened, even after leaving that job. This saddens me a lot, as some of the best times I've ever had were on a bike.

Finally got for a ride last weekend. Belly slap like never before on my road bike, even though I've flipped my stem to get a bit of a more upright position. Butt callous....gone.

Boy, I've worked myself into a hole here. Anyone who can provide advice?
Old 09-05-19, 08:39 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Just keep riding. Ride for fun. The "table muscle" will start coming off.
Jon
Likes For Jon T:
Old 09-05-19, 12:28 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have a very close friend who is about 6'2" and like me was skinny as a rail when we started college. About 15 years ago he had creeped up well over 300 pounds and had a wake up call. He got serious about losing weight and exercising and eventually started biking (not sure where his weight was when he first started) but in a few years he had dropped all of his undesired weight and became and health/workout nut. Fast forward to a few years ago and due to life changes he put back on nearly all his weight. About 2 years ago I decided to get healthier and get into better shape and as I got more and more into cycling he became interested in riding again and dropping his weight. He committed to doing the MS150 with me last year (two day 180 miles) and began riding again even before he had dropped a good bit of his weight. I think he was 260 when we did the MS150 back in April. Even though he still has a decent belly he is happy as a clam to get out and ride with me and isn't even ashamed to wear his bike shorts and Jersey (heck, he'll even take off the Jersey when I'm too shy to do so!). I know he was struggling to get back on and keep up the effort when he was still out of shape. I know he's feeling better and on his way back to his fighting weight.

I say all that to tell you that you aren't alone. Many others are either just getting started or getting back into riding and carrying around some extra pounds at first. If your belly is physically in your way I don't have an experience to pass along there but wanted to let you know there is a way back and you'll be comfortable on your bike before you know it! Even if you don't lose your belly I know plenty of riders who don't let that keep them off the bike anyways. Just keep pedaling!
Old 09-05-19, 12:51 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
I’ve started back riding regularly two months ago . Over the past four years I’d climbed up to just under the three hundred mark .

I’m 68 years young to boot . It don’t come off like it used too .

I started riding two miles a day for a couple of weeks , then gradually started increasing the distance .

Last week I weighed 280.2 . I was absolutely thrilled. I did 150.5 miles last month

I’m averaging around 5.5 miles per day this month . Hope to get to at least 175 this month .
Just keep at it and don’t over do it .
You didn't put it on in just a few months , it’s going to take awhile to get back to where your goal is .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 09-05-19, 02:44 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Brando_T.

Boy, I've worked myself into a hole here. Anyone who can provide advice?
Yes. I was in your shoes five years ago. Make whatever adjustments you need to make it comfortable and fun. Bars, saddle, pedals, cushy tires, whatever. You can change things back as your conditioning improves. Supplement with core exercise as well.
Old 09-08-19, 01:28 PM
BikinPotter

Bikes: Marin MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big ticket birthday gave me a boost

Originally Posted by Jon T
Just keep riding. Ride for fun. The "table muscle" will start coming off.
Jon
I turned 65 in August & weigh about 213 on a small frame. I decided I want to be healthier, in hope of making it to 80. How many obese 80-year-olds do you see bopping around? So, I got a physical, listened to my doctor rag on me for awhile, got a fitness pass for my local pool where I do deep water exercise 3x a week. I take one rest day. The other 3 days I ride my bike or walk a couple of miles. Slowly increasing my mileage in order to not stress my knees. I have all I need to keep me dry on the bike on wet days. And I track what I eat with Myfitnesspal. Ditched the chips & sugar. I set a date on my calendar to see how much, if any, weight I’ve lost. I have no illusions of getting down to the weight I was in my 20’s, but I definitely will get healthier. Maybe ditch a couple of meds I’m taking. No looking back. No feeling embarrassed. I rode today & I’m feeling pretty good.
Old 09-08-19, 02:04 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I'd suggest finding an hour per day when you focus on you and your fitness. Join a gym. Start walking. Start riding. Listen to your body, when it tells you it needs rest, when you can "push it" a bit, etc.

Make a few serious changes in your nutrition, to weed out the bad stuff, substitute bad items for good, and to watch portion sizes. Get hydrated and stay that way (with water). In time, it'll likely begin to "click" again.

If you're finding a more-upright riding position is more comfortable, then you can certainly adjust the stem, bars and saddle to be that way; or, acquire a different bike that's got an upright position, while you're improving your fitness.

I did much the same, some years back. Old injuries had frozen up my hips and legs, to the point getting on and off a "normal" bike was crazy painful, and difficult to stay upright. Bought a low-step cheapie, single-speed bike with cushy "balloon" tires. Cycled rain or shine. Kept riding while my gym fitness improved. Once ready, I got a "normal" format bike, again, and have been riding regularly since. Found it was so comfortable, in the more-upright riding position, that that's now my preferred format. Go figure.

Fitness will come, so long as you're consistent and determined to get over the hump. It'll likely take awhile, before the aches and sores subside to the point you look forward to every ride again. But, unless you've got some dire physical impediment that's in the way, the weight will come off and you'll get stronger as the months go by. BTDT, myself.

Definitely consider joining a gym and exercising daily. It'll help.
Old 09-08-19, 02:14 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Another voice saying make it fun. Motivation to exercise for the sake of fitness is tough, and not sustainable. Fun is easy to sustain.
Old 09-11-19, 10:50 AM
iTrek

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I definitely relate to OP. Rode hard for a few years then life got in way and a back injury had me off bike for a year and half. Weight had shot up. I climbed on my new bike I had bought and had fit on right before back injury and every pedal stroke was knee in the gut. Back was killing me. So I ended up selling that bike to buy a more upright bike last week, Specialized Roubaix and with a fit I immediately jumped on and knocked out ten miles. Loving it!!!
Old 09-12-19, 10:42 AM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can also relate to OP.. Up until a few weeks ago I could barely ride a few minutes on the drops of my bike.. it would feel like a boxer punching my gut with every pedal stroke.. to the point I would feel nauseous. I've been dieting and exercising, down 25 pounds, and I can finally ride on the drops without any discomfort... its also helped with lower back pain, since I dont have as much weight on my gut pulling down on my back while riding.