Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DeRosa Clean Up

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

DeRosa Clean Up

Old 09-08-19, 02:03 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
DeRosa Clean Up

Hi all,

Thanks to the awesome advice of those here along with a new stem donated by Bill (qcpmsame) the work of dismantling, and cleaning of the bike has begun. I used the tinfoil/water trick to help remove rust from chrome which certainly helped. A couple of areas with big flakes that I've started to sand using a 2000 grit block with water, also seems to be working but will require more elbow grease.

Not quite sure about best steps, once the rust is off, if I should use some silver nail polish with some clearcoat?
The chrome is definitely a little "wrinkled" in places. You can really see the paint fade in a couple of these shots. lots of little paint chips and scratches, I'm still contemplating a new paint job but would stick with the original style and graphics. I'm really stuck on this one and what my best bet would be.

I can't believe how heavy the wheels are. Still completely functional, the rear is an eight speed Shimano Freehub laced to an older Campy rim. The front is a Mavic hub laced to a Mavic C4 rim.

A friend who owns one of the small local lbs's thinks he has a late 90's Campy Record group all in silver. If he does and it's a reasonable price that's what I'm thinking of going with group wise, which will force the purchase of new wheels too. This build is getting pricey!

I don't have an old crank puller so the frame is in the car. Going to bring it to the shop and pull them off to continue the cleaning and polishing of the frame. Then I guess I'll have to make a decision about paint before rebuilding.

Some pics for your perusal. Since I had the stand out I figured I'd better lube the chain on my main daily ride as well!

Original pink vs. fade

chrome chip

Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-08-19, 02:56 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
That is a interesting color. Not really pink not really white, is it a pearlescent clear coat?

Great job the rebuilt bike looks so different and modern

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-08-19, 03:23 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
That is a interesting color. Not really pink not really white, is it a pearlescent clear coat?

It's kind of interesting. That pearlescent look and light pink is purely a result of the original paint fading. When I first came to the US in 2000 from Canada I would move for work a fair bit and the bike was on a balcony in the sun for long periods of time. Like you though, I kind of like the lighter current color more than the original. The problem is the chipping and the spots of darker pink where the fading is less. Not sure yet what I want to do. I may bring the fork to a place and see about chroming it, and maybe I leave the rest of the bike I'm super confused lol!

The other bike is actually not a rebuild. It's a current model custom bike built by the Vanilla Workshop in Portland Oregon. Great use of modern steel, mix of Columbus and Prestige. The seat tube though is carbon made by Enve. It rides beautifully and is my everyday ride.
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-08-19, 03:23 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

From the shot of the gear lever braze-on, it appears the frame was once a darker metallic pink which has really faded out over the years.

For the OP: that doesn't necessarily mean a repaint. I think it looks great! If I'd not seen that pic, I'd have thought this was the original color. Hardly any paint scrapes/chips and the decals are almost all perfect. You've cleaned it up and are seeing to the rust - I'd stop right there and forget repainting. That will help keep your cost down - save the paint money and spend it on wheels (you noted the current set felt heavy).

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-08-19, 03:50 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I wonder if an oxalic acid bath would bring back the pink?
Old 09-08-19, 03:58 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
From the shot of the gear lever braze-on, it appears the frame was once a darker metallic pink which has really faded out over the years.

For the OP: that doesn't necessarily mean a repaint. I think it looks great! If I'd not seen that pic, I'd have thought this was the original color. Hardly any paint scrapes/chips and the decals are almost all perfect. You've cleaned it up and are seeing to the rust - I'd stop right there and forget repainting. That will help keep your cost down - save the paint money and spend it on wheels (you noted the current set felt heavy).

DD
I'm definitely starting to lean in that direction. Especially if I can get the fork cleaned up even more or re chromed. Going to keep cleaning and sanding where applicable once I get the cranks off.

Originally Posted by NoControl
Never heard of this.
Old 09-08-19, 04:13 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Not very likely...OC is for rust removal not paint restoration
Once the metallic paint is faded to that degree not much that you can do to bring it back...on the other hand, if the paint is a solid color and it is thick one might be able to do a light color sanding to get below the faded color and polish it back to life...I have done this to cars that have a dull faded finish and have had some limited success. I don't think that this will be of much good because you can see that the braze-ons are a very bright pink and the bike's paint won't be thick enough for a resto...to sorryto say that no amount of sanding will bring it back to its former glory
My recommendation would be light color sand with 620 or 1000 grit (staying away from the decals) a light polish with polishing compound and then a good was to seal and bring back some luster to the paint....or just call it a custom "Fade" paint job and call it a day.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-08-19 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 05:31 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I'd hit it with WD40 or something like that, and a microfiber cloth, see where that leaves you.

The paint isn't going to heal itself and become a vibrant pink, and the chrome cannot be repaired. Clean it gently, and see where you are.

DO NOT USE OXALIC ACID.
Old 09-08-19, 06:07 PM
robbyville

Cleaning up rather nicely. I wonder if I could paint match this light pink and do some touch up, light sanding and clear. Pretty much all the scratches are quite small with the exception of the one below on the seat stay where the bike must have been leaning up against something.

Last edited by robbyville; 09-08-19 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 06:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I'm with DD. Do not repaint. It looks nice. Anyone who has a Speedvagen and is restoring a DeRosa should have a crank puller or two. Get one (or two). If you wrap some sand paper/emery cloth or whatever around a small file working towards super fine, you can shine the steel where the chrome has flaked off and then clear nail polish to protect the steel.
Old 09-08-19, 06:14 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
That is an absolutely beautiful bike. What year, the first one I saw and rode was a 77, 78?

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 09-08-19, 06:17 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Classtime
I'm with DD. Do not repaint. It looks nice. Anyone who has a Speedvagen and is restoring a DeRosa should have a crank puller or two. Get one (or two). If you wrap some sand paper/emery cloth or whatever around a small file working towards super fine, you can shine the steel where the chrome has flaked off and then clear nail polish to protect the steel.
I think you guys are right, the more I clean and detail the more I'm thinking that perhaps I can get it great looking and maybe a bit of touch up paint blended in. Tomorrow night I'm going to try and clean up the two chrome areas that had flaked and clean the rust a bit better then do the clear polish.

Although I have a lot of tools for both bike and MC,believe it or not I don't have a crank puller since the last time I used one was probably when I built the DeRosa, at least 20 moves between 5 States and two provinces lol! But tomorrow, I'll go to the shop and pull it. I can't remember the BB I put in but I believe it was a one piece cartridge unit, and although it needs some cleaning, it still seems to spin like butter! Plus, hopefully I'll be able to see if the owner was successful in digging out that old record group.

Last edited by robbyville; 09-08-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 06:29 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by San Rensho
That is an absolutely beautiful bike. What year, the first one I saw and rode was a 77, 78?
Thank you for the kind words!

I really don't know the year, from looking online it seems like it's probably an '89... BUT I know that I didn't buy it (frame and fork), until around '94. It was purchased new (I'm the original owner), and I didn't think at the time that it was a 5 year old frame. I bought it from a bike shop in Vancouver BC called La . At the time they basically only did Italian Road bikes and was the only store I knew that sold frames and then built the bike to your wants. I don't think they even sold complete bikes back then other than the ones they built and put on the floor. In my case, I had saved and scrimped and bought this frame/fork for $1000.00 (cdn). I ported the parts from other bikes I had built up over the years. A mix of Shimano 600, 105, STI levers, Race Face crank, etc.

The bike has a ton of amazing memories for me (including one of my first very long solo rides while living in Whistler, when realizing that I had gone too far out and would never make it home with all the climbing, I let the air out of my rear tire and hitch hiked home saying I had flatted to avoid embarrassment), I can't wait to ride it again.
Old 09-08-19, 06:35 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
The pearl pink is really pretty on such a classic! Thanks for showing.
Old 09-08-19, 07:20 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
That paint looks to be drastically faded. Original pink color showing around the shifter bosses. Looks cool nonetheless, like all De Rosa's..
Old 09-08-19, 08:34 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Nessism
That paint looks to be drastically faded. Original pink color showing around the shifter bosses. Looks cool nonetheless, like all De Rosa's..
Thanks, yes. Drastically faded is an understatement!
Old 09-08-19, 10:07 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
I would leave well enough alone, I doubt that you can match it well enough for it to hide the scrapes and scratches....and if using a brush more paint build-up to sand smooth.
I would either cove the blemishes with a clear nail polish or "just" us a carnauba paste wax, not the stuff that looks like soft pudding.
Sometimes trying to make it right, makes it wrong.
JMO

Originally Posted by robbyville
Cleaning up rather nicely. I wonder if I could paint match this light pink and do some touch up, light sanding and clear. Pretty much all the scratches are quite small with the exception of the one below on the seat stay where the bike must have been leaning up against something.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-09-19, 05:42 PM
robbyville

Update time...

Sure enough you guys were bang on correct. Took the frame and fork to the person who would have been doing the paint for me. He is an ex racer now in his late 60's who outrides most of us in the group regularly. He has owned an auto body shop for over 30 years and happens to enjoy restoring old bikes and has some amazing team bikes from Motorolla, 7/11 and the likes.

He took one look at the frame and suggested (like most of you) that I not repaint it. Mostly because of the hand painted signature on the top tube which he says they don't do in decals, or something along those lines. Pretty much everyone at his office also liked the faded color more than the original lol!

I did however leave him with the fork to be re-chromed.

Got the cranks pulled today, I cannot for the life of me remember what kind of Bottom Bracket I put in, I do remember it as a one or two piece fully enclosed cartridge unit. I can say that it spins absolutely perfectly even after all these years. Shame that if I put a Campy crank on that I'll have to remove the BB. I also don't remember if it's an Italian or English thread. Guess I'll find out once I get a groupset.

Tonight's work is to continue cleaning, and detail work!

Likes For robbyville: