Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Klein corrosion - cosmetic or?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 03:14 PM
spudly

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts

Old 09-11-19, 03:31 PM
spudly

Hi all, (text didn't come out in my first post) I just bought this '95 Klein locally on CL. I was on the fence about the purchase due to the corrosion/bubbling around the cable openings on the top and seat tubes. The seller had just acquired it at a charity auction and didn't want a ridiculous amount for it (IMO), but wasn't giving it away. I bought it because it rides beautifully with full Dura Ace (except the seatpost and Tange Falcon headset) and a nice Mavic wheelset. Other than the corrosion, the bike is in great shape and I like the bright paint.

Anyone have a similar bike with this issue? I'm hoping it's cosmetic rather than something structural. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-11-19, 04:02 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I'm assuming that cable ferrule is made of brass, as I see green oxidization on the cable ferrule. It looks like the PO sweat quite a bit on that area of the bike and the paint bubbling is a result of that. If I were you I'd take the paint off that area, polish up the aluminum underneath with some scotchbrite, and find some touch up paint for that area. I don't think you have any structural issues but it should be cleaned up regardless.
Old 09-11-19, 06:00 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Strip the paint from the damaged areas, prime and repaint or those spots will, in fairly short order, look like these nasty paint failures on my Quintanna Roo...

The grayish color, where the paint has actually failed, is aluminum oxide, a white powderish substance. If you don't clean it and then cover it up, more of the same will continue to contaminate the metal. You, and I, both might think about what is inside of the tubes.

Old 09-12-19, 11:45 AM
spudly

Thanks Randy and TenGrain! I'll touch it up.
Old 09-12-19, 06:08 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Thanks Randy and TenGrain! I'll touch it up.
When I build the Roo, I might go for full paint, worried that more of those oxidation snakes might start showing up. That might be, perhaps, over kill but I have no love for purple so, though I rarely recommend full paint, the damage to the Roo is sufficient to more than warrant it, in my opinion.

For the OP, touching up will mean cleaning the contaminated area and well beyond. Leaving any oxidation will result in more deterioration.