Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor riding about to start

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Indoor riding about to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 03:26 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
If it's dry, 58F is short sleeve jersey and short bibs weather for me.

As mentioned by the person from Everett, the issue in this part of the country during the winter months is ice. In my city, there are microclimates with different temperatures depending on elevation and how far west or east you are. It's weird. So, starting in another couple weeks, I will carefully check the weather before each ride. If it's close to 32F and raining, I might not go. I went down on some completely invisible black ice a couple years ago. Absolutely no shot at saving it. Fortunately, no serious injuries to me or CF frame. The temperature from where I had departed was 35F, but I was going east and the weather was simply different there. Won't make that mistake again.

As long as it's dry. I will ride down to maybe 10F or so, though that rarely happens here. What I won't ride in is extreme heat or heat and humidity. It can be dangerous.
Old 10-06-19, 07:42 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
If it's dry, 58F is short sleeve jersey and short bibs weather for me.
58F is a second light layer for me, a polypro long sleeve undershirt and thin leg warmers. That was actually how it was yesterday and I was a little cold in that but warmed up at the first hill. I did see some serious riders in short sleeves though, and one woman riding in just her jog bra on top. That just looked cold.
Old 10-06-19, 08:00 AM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Yesterday was first day riding at a little under 60. Wore a T-shirt with a long sleeve shirt over it and cargo shorts. Was fine but definitely noticed the air was colder to breathe. I’m hoping to be able to ride this fall and even winter but can see how under 50 and definitely under 40 would be more of a project. I guess you just learn what works best for you as you experiment as it gets colder.
Old 10-09-19, 10:47 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I may have to break out the trainer this weekend as I won't have anyone to rescue me should I have a mechanical failure or just run out of juice. It is currently 40 degrees outside which is about the lowest temperature I want to ride in for any distance.
Old 10-18-19, 12:16 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
58 degrees this morning. Windbreaker and tights were fine, however my knees were feeling it a few hours after the ride was over. The cool temps are having me think about setting up the rollers in the stereo room very soon. Not looking forward to it, but gotta do something!
Two years ago a woman, and former college road racer, was moving to England. She wanted to get rid of a set of Kreitler small diameter rollers. They were perfect. I asked her how much she wanted. She said she just wanted to give them away. I said, "You can't do that." I gave her $50 and we were both happy. They are replacing my Performance rollers that are now about 25 yrs. old. I'll be on them soon.
Old 11-10-19, 02:45 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The idea that 58º is cold is mind boggling to me. I'd certainly rather be riding at 58º than at 98º. Lower temps mean more power output, lower HR, and lower water requirements.

Now if you said it was 28º or even 38º outside, then maybe we're getting somewhere.
Cannot agree more.
Thought was typo....
Old 11-11-19, 12:22 PM
zacster

I did a ride the other day in San Fran and the temp was in the mid 50s to lower 60s depending on whether you were in the fog or not. I started out too warm in street clothes, changed into my one cycling outfit that I brought that was for warmer temps, and then did 40 or so more miles in that. When I got near the ocean I was freezing, but then climbed out of it again. Going across the Golden Gate was again freezing with a fog you could barely see through, then Sausalito was warm again and it stayed warm until I returned to SF. I was definitely cooler even in the sun than I would normally ride given my full wardrobe to choose from, but ya know what? It was fine. I really got cold though after I dropped the bike off at the rental and didn't have anything to change to. I had to find a warm bar...
Old 11-11-19, 01:55 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Yeah, I would think that riding where you are would make it very challenging to properly dress for, what with all the temp. variation you guys see. I'm hot, I'm cold. I'm cold, I'm burning up... Oh well, I would personally take that as a sign to stop (and rest) and change, so maybe it's not all bad...
Old 11-11-19, 03:23 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I really got cold though after I dropped the bike off at the rental and didn't have anything to change to. I had to find a warm bar...
I'm sure it was a great sacrifice.
Old 11-11-19, 09:27 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I'm sure it was a great sacrifice.
Yes, it was terrible. I had to fight my way into this bar packed with kids watching college football...
Old 12-01-19, 08:49 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Indoors for me. Currently 28°, with a 26 mph wind. My last outside ride was a month and a half ago on a 600k. 20° going against a stiff headwind. Sciatic pain forced me to withdraw after 200 miles. I haven't had the want-to since. Still trying to get rid of the back pain. Bought a smart trainer and riding Rouvy and Zwift, plus spin classes. It will do just fine. Over 10,000 miles for the year.
Old 12-01-19, 08:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Managed to heat the shop up to 50°. I'd invited a few friends over for an indoor ride day because it was just above freezing outside and expected to snow and rain. The snow and rain didn't materialize, but we just don't ride outside anymore when it's that cold and we have a much friendlier indoor place. So my wife and I did Z4 intervals on my resistance rollers and her Computrainer, an hour on the bikes and actually quite a bit of fun + good training. After the ride we repaired to the kitchen for beer and lunch. We'll ride inside all this coming week, but should get out for a 45° rain ride next Sunday, cold but safe and actually nice and warm in our riding gear.
Old 12-01-19, 08:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Indoors for me. Currently 28°, with a 26 mph wind. My last outside ride was a month and a half ago on a 600k. 20° going against a stiff headwind. Sciatic pain forced me to withdraw after 200 miles. I haven't had the want-to since. Still trying to get rid of the back pain. Bought a smart trainer and riding Rouvy and Zwift, plus spin classes. It will do just fine. Over 10,000 miles for the year.
Try McKenzie method back stretches. Google. It works. The other thing that works is the Core Advantage book, My method has been to exercise however, gym, bike, etc. until it hurts pretty good, rest until it doesn't, repeat. Bike's great for back pain, but doesn't strengthen enough.
Old 12-02-19, 11:19 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Try McKenzie method back stretches. Google. It works. The other thing that works is the Core Advantage book, My method has been to exercise however, gym, bike, etc. until it hurts pretty good, rest until it doesn't, repeat. Bike's great for back pain, but doesn't strengthen enough.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will add a couple of the back stretches to my daily core/stretching routine.
Old 12-02-19, 08:35 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Haven't hit the trainer quite yet, but our shop ride here in Socal last Saturday started with near 40 degree temps. Warmed up to about 48-50. We are between rain storms so will hope to get out again on Tuesday when temps should be near 70.
Old 12-03-19, 05:26 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
48°F right now as I am heading out to Walmart for another early morning Ride & Shop & Ride excursion. Low 50°F's at the start of my last Saturday's 135 miler.
Old 12-03-19, 07:40 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I rode my bike at work during some very cold weather, didn't have a choice. The coldest was minus 15F ambient temp with a bit of a wind to boot. When I was racing, my season started on the road February 1st every year, no matter what. I'm done with that.

Nowadays I ride in comfort watching old racing DVDs or cycle races on internet TV. I get a better workout inside as well.

Last edited by nomadmax; 12-03-19 at 09:28 AM.