Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sachs Dreigang Torpedo hubs

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-10-19, 08:13 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts

Bought a parts stash from someone a while back and put the box under my desk at work. Forgot about it 'til I just stubbed my toe on it a few minutes ago.

Digging through, I found two of these (apparently NOS?) old Sachs Dreigang 3spd hubs. I see a few old threads about them here, I think they're complete, but who knows... lots of cottered spindles and BMX spindles in the lot, several unusual looking stem bolts, misc hub parts, very interesting.

Doubt I'll ever use them but thought they were pretty cool looking, wanted to share a pic. HEAVY DUTY! Marked with "515", "F&S" and "28" on just inside the flange.

Old 10-10-19, 08:35 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Some other pics of stuff inside the box if it's interesting...

Old 10-10-19, 08:56 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked 3,256 Times in 2,124 Posts
-----

One brand name they sometimes exhibit is that of CENTRIX, no relation to the French manufacturer of stems and bars of the same name.

Looks like a wonderful trove you have there in that toe-stubber carton!

-----
Old 10-10-19, 10:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
...I still have one working fine on a DBS Golden Star from the 70's. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Vastly superior to most of the SA coaster brake IGH products I've encountered. I had it apart once, but that was a long time ago.
Old 10-11-19, 08:50 AM
cszipper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a non-coaster Torpedo 3 speed hub on an Atala that I owned some years ago. It worked well, had good thick plating (in contrast to the other chromed parts on the bike), and I liked that the trigger shifter body was smaller than a Sturmey shifter. The cable attachment end of the indicator spindle was not compatible with Sturmey Archer or Shimano 333 cables.

-Carl
Old 10-11-19, 09:51 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Bought a parts stash from someone a while back and put the box under my desk at work. Forgot about it 'til I just stubbed my toe on it a few minutes ago.

Digging through, I found two of these (apparently NOS?) old Sachs Dreigang 3spd hubs. I see a few old threads about them here, I think they're complete, but who knows... lots of cottered spindles and BMX spindles in the lot, several unusual looking stem bolts, misc hub parts, very interesting.

Doubt I'll ever use them but thought they were pretty cool looking, wanted to share a pic. HEAVY DUTY! Marked with "515", "F&S" and "28" on just inside the flange.
Look for nuts to fit a 10.5 mm axle. I can't speak to yours but the Duomatics had that size and nuts are somewhat rare, probably sellable. Hubstripping.com is a good site for Sachs Torpedo info.
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-11-19, 02:59 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by clubman
Look for nuts to fit a 10.5 mm axle. I can't speak to yours but the Duomatics had that size and nuts are somewhat rare, probably sellable. Hubstripping.com is a good site for Sachs Torpedo info.
Awesome, thanks! That and the Sutherland page over at Sheldon's site seems like it would be helpful for these too.

I need to carry this box home and really dig through it, organize what's here. Seems like 75% or more is BMX and 3spd hub parts. Lots of stem bolts, bearings, solid axles & cones, some 3spd hub shoes/cones/drivers, cottered/non-cottered/BMX 3pc spindles.

I will say, a lot of this stuff was "way more current" the decade or two before my first shop gigs in the early 90s. By that time, bikes weren't really "cool" anymore and anything using these parts was considered by most to be ancient/cheap/garbage so I admittedly don't recognize all the parts. There was always at least one older guy at the shops who'd work on stuff like this and none of the younger guys wanted to dick around with it.

There's actually another three USPS small flat-rate boxes packed full of smaller/lighter parts I haven't even opened yet. Maybe it's full of cotters, nuts, etc. Won't be able to tear through it all until I make it back from NYC mid-next week.
Old 10-15-19, 05:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I find it interesting that they are 28 hole hubs. This suggests a smaller wheel size and may make them a bit harder to sell. F&S typically have a date code but I don't see it in the usual location on the shell, so it's probably on the brake arm.

It's unfortunate that Sheldon didn't include the Troubleshooting pages from the Sutherland's manual.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-15-19, 09:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
...lots of photos of disassembly and reassembly here. I think this is the same hub.
Old 10-15-19, 02:00 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 675 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I find it interesting that they are 28 hole hubs. This suggests a smaller wheel size and may make them a bit harder to sell. F&S typically have a date code but I don't see it in the usual location on the shell, so it's probably on the brake arm.

It's unfortunate that Sheldon didn't include the Troubleshooting pages from the Sutherland's manual.
Just lace them to a 28-hole carbon rim. Problem solved.
Old 08-29-20, 10:49 PM
machias

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I find it interesting that they are 28 hole hubs. This suggests a smaller wheel size ....
Correct. This is the hub used on my Carniellifolder with 20" wheels.
Old 08-30-20, 11:33 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
BITD these were considered more bullet proof than Sturmeys but the thinner indicator
chain was harder to come by. I suppose that's still true.

Juvela, I have a Centrix single speed coaster in like new condition and I always hoped
it was French. are you saying it's just a Sachs product?
Old 02-26-21, 03:45 PM
John Ebert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just came across this forum and the Sach Torpedo hub link. I have a friend who needs an axle for a single speed Torpedo hub. He was able to find the part
number it is 355850 or 308131. I know this is way out there as this is on a late 40's or early 50 Victoria Vicki2 moped. This seems to be the only item he needs to get it up and running. His assumption is that the single speed axles are not the same as the 3 speed ones.
John in Texas
Old 02-26-21, 04:44 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by John Ebert
Just came across this forum and the Sach Torpedo hub link. I have a friend who needs an axle for a single speed Torpedo hub. He was able to find the part
number it is 355850 or 308131. I know this is way out there as this is on a late 40's or early 50 Victoria Vicki2 moped. This seems to be the only item he needs to get it up and running. His assumption is that the single speed axles are not the same as the 3 speed ones.
John in Texas
John Ebert I have a stockpile of these hubs, 5 or 6, in the shape shown, with a boatload of spare internally-geared hub parts. If there's anything worthwhile you or your friend sees in this thread, I've been looking to offload it all for a while and would happily kick it to you at a bargain-barrel price. The real kicker would be shipping - this stuff is heeeeeavvy. But I'd ship USPS flat-rate, probably in the $18 or $22 box.

I'm happy to PM my info, but I don't think your PMs will unlock until you get your reply count up to 10. Would require 5 more replies in any thread across the entire BikeForums site. I'll try to PM my email anyway. I'm decluttering and would love to free up space.

Likes For francophile: