Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour AccuShift shifters

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-12-19, 08:00 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,361 Posts

I have a set of these (don't know the exact model number and VeloBase has been down for over two days so can't check there). I note that the right side (rear) allows switching from friction to indexing. I would like to use them in index mode on my League Fuji which currently has Suntour LePree. I looked up AccuShift online and see only literature for the Superbe Pro version which says that the Pro version could be used a standard Suntour spaced freewheel (RE setting), an Ultra-7 narrow spaced Suntour seven speed freewheel (UL setting) or non-indexed shifting with any freewheel (P setting). The Pro had three settings and this set has two sets.

Would it index with a 6 speed freewheel on the League?
Old 10-12-19, 11:31 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I got a pair of Suntour Accushift thumb shifters on an old 6 speed rig that index fine. They're even mounted on a bike with a Shimano 6 speed freewheel. I believe these were model 3000 shifters.

Old 10-12-19, 11:44 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
You may find this service bulletin posted on Yellow jersey helpful I have a set of 5000 series that I am running in Friction mode because it was the quickest way to get them set up and start riding the bike, one of these days I may fuss around with the indexing...

1987 accushift 5000 series
Old 10-12-19, 12:51 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
LePree was a friction derailleur that was introduced 2 years prior to AccuShift, so cable pull to parallelogram travel ratio may be incorrect for proper indexed operation with the freewheel. The only way to know for sure, is to experiment. Thumbscrews with ridges as opposed to D-rings, suggest a 2nd generation Accushift lever from one of the the lower groups, such as Radius, Edge or Blaze.
Old 10-12-19, 03:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 843 Posts
Be sure to use a 3000-series rear derailer with any 3000-series shift lever (such as the 3040).

Suntour and Shimano 6s freewheel spacings were identical, but for certain earlier Suntour freewheels which I have come across and which had visibly-wider cog spacing.
Suntour U-6 and U-7 indexing are the same, only the 7s shifter has an extra click.

I always lubricate index DT levers from the outer (thumb screw) side prior to installation.

Some Suntour index levers featured a friction-index mode which is truly the worst of both worlds.
Old 10-12-19, 03:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I've found suntour indexing to be hit or miss.
Old 10-12-19, 04:19 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 6,528 Times in 2,568 Posts
Yeah, for 6- or 7-speed Accushi(f)t to index well takes a hard-to-find alignment of shifter, chain, freewheel, and rear derailleur, plus a series of prayers, astral alignment, and divine intervention. Good luck!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-13-19, 01:03 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 843 Posts
Suntour indexing is a breeze with today's better chains.

7s Accushift indexing is best with a Suntour Alpha 7s freewheel and Shimano 9s chain, but 6s Accushift indexing can be optimal using any modern 6s freewheel and any modern 7-8s chain.

Of course the performance also depends on smooth cabling and a well-lubricated index lever.
Old 10-13-19, 06:24 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,361 Posts
Thank you all. I'll keep the bike 6 speeds and try a 7/8 chain. Perhaps I'll splurge on a new chain to increase the odds of it working
Old 10-13-19, 08:10 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 146 Posts
My Ricardo has 1st gen Sprint 9000. The shifters have 2 position indexing for different freewheels and friction. I could never get them working properly so bought lower end last gen 7s shifters, there press fitted together and not supposed to be taken apart. I think the later gen shifters are much better.

WGB those shifters you have will index a LePree fine but you will need an inline cable adjuster that are a few dollars on ebay. The cable tension needs very precise adjustment with Suntour. This is what I did on my Ricardo too, I had a nos non indexing Sprint derailleur I used just because it's new it has many visual differences to the indexing Sprint. Shifting is Superbe. See what I did there
Old 10-13-19, 08:48 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 137 Posts
I agree with @dddd
New chains are your friend.
Accushift gets a bad rap.
I have a Schwinn Premis that I recently upgraded to 7 speed (originally 6)
I wanted to keep the Suntour GPX groupset for esthetics.
Reading about Accushift indexing made me question my sanity.
However, following @canklecat advice I am very pleasantly surprised
I followed @canklecat .to the letter

"Balky index shifting with Suntour Accushift can be improved by switching to a SunRace freewheel and KMC Z72 or comparable chain (side plates formed to ease shifting). Specifically the SunRace 7-speed chromed 13-25 MFR30 and 13-28 MFM30. Shifting is much crisper and the chain rides more quietly than with the Suntour freewheels and any compatible chain I've tried including the original Suntour."
Indexed Suntour Accushift for drop bars

Am very pleasantly surprised as it is contrary to most of what I have read in the past.
My Premis is now upgraded to 7 speed and shifts like a charm.
I changed cables and housing along with the freewheel and the chain.

My experience. Your mileage may vary,

Rick
Old 10-13-19, 09:18 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 981 Posts
I will simply echo the good advice here, and add that if you get anything Accushift Plus (the second generation of Accushift), it works really well and has a great shifting feel. I have 7-speed shift levers that mimic the Superbe Pro levers of that time, but they were three rungs down as Edge (though no labeling, just polished aluminum finish)--they shift Superbe Pro derailleurs over a Shimano 7-speed freewheel (Uniglide teeth) with ease and accuracy. 8-speed chain used.

I have found with other Suntour Accushift setups, that the FW or cassette teeth make a big difference in either allowing good shifting or keeping the chain "in place" on the gear you selected. I ran a full GPX groupset on a Cannondale, and Shimano Hyperglide cogs would allow it to autoshift in two of the gears, even as it was set up correctly. I went to a slightly less shift-happy Shimano Uniglide cog setup and the autoshifting was cured. Suntour, well into the Accushift era, used really brutal and blocky FW and cassette cogs. No wonder Hyperglide cogs were crazy to them!