Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

cargo bikes?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

cargo bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 05:42 PM
cowboydan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cargo bikes?

I'm interested in attaining a vintage or new cargo bike. the kind with the front flat bed. I know that bilenky makes one that is pretty high end but i was wondering if anyone knew of any other supplies in the states. they seem to be pretty easy to find in europe but a bit harder here in the states. any help would be great. Thanks
Old 11-15-05, 06:00 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboydan
I'm interested in attaining a vintage or new cargo bike. the kind with the front flat bed. I know that bilenky makes one that is pretty high end but i was wondering if anyone knew of any other supplies in the states. they seem to be pretty easy to find in europe but a bit harder here in the states. any help would be great. Thanks

Hmmm...what about this?

Last edited by cooker; 11-15-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 01:12 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cowboydan
I'm interested in attaining a vintage or new cargo bike.
I would normally refer you to workbike.org but their database seems to be down. Keep checking the link though, they have a fairly complete overview of the different bikes, trikes, quads and trailers that are available and links to the manufacturers.

Otherwise, there's the Organic Engines Sensible Utility Vehicle (SUV).

You are in the US, I can't think of any more US brands. In Europe there are lots of options, see many models at Henry WorkCycles. One of my favourite Dutch manufacturers is Bakfiets.
Old 11-16-05, 04:51 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
Hmmm...what about this?
Wow! Did you see their "Tri-Hauler"? They say that it can haul 700 lbs. 700 pounds! That is very nearly a whole dressed out cow carcass bones and all - about the weight of four fully grown men.

Ya! Try peddaling 700 lbs uphill - especially with a recumbent. Then, as if your nightmare wasn't over, you crest the hill and start screaming downhill with 700 lbs of mighty mighty pushing you straight to hell! "Brakes Don't Fail Me Now"

Just look at that recumbent design. It would be like sitting in the first car of the roller coaster. To make matters worse, you are trying to manuver with that cute recumbent steering linkage. YOWZA!

What a sight that would be; some well intentioned eco-friendly hippie with a 700 lb load behind him screaming down a hill at 75 mph, white knuckled, wide-eyed, brake pads screetching, trying to use the Fred Flinstone braking method as his sandals melt into the asphalt. Just when he thinks he has successfully avoided flying into the other other lane, he sees the rear end of the semi in front of him coming straight at him. Now he wants to take his chances in on-coming traffic, but can't steer into it. OMG!

Ha ha.

Last edited by mike; 11-16-05 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 05:02 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike
Just look at that recumbent design. It would be like sitting in the first car of the roller coaster. To make matters worse, you are trying to manuver with that cute recumbent steering linkage. YOWZA!
He he, I wouldn't want to pedal up or down hill with 700 lbs! But as an (x) recumbent rider I think the design looks great and I would definitely consider it if I needed to shift large amounts of stuff.

Recumbents in general are ok on hills though. It's true you can't stand up, so the only solution is to have enough gears so that you can sit and spin. I'm sure this trike would be slow up hill but at least it would be comfortable!
Old 11-16-05, 05:19 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yangmusa
He he, I wouldn't want to pedal up or down hill with 700 lbs! But as an (x) recumbent rider I think the design looks great and I would definitely consider it if I needed to shift large amounts of stuff.

Recumbents in general are ok on hills though. It's true you can't stand up, so the only solution is to have enough gears so that you can sit and spin. I'm sure this trike would be slow up hill but at least it would be comfortable!
Ha ha ha. I have tears in my eyes from laughing as I write this stuff.

Check this out this one. A bike trailer rated for 500 pounds. It mounts to your bicycle frame.

Let's imagine you somehow get it up the hill like a Viet Con soldier in 1968. Then you proudly mount your saddle with sweat on brow and anticipate the effortless downhill ride. "Thanks for the neat Christmas gift, honey" you think to yourself on your maiden voyage, "Who would ever imagine I would be hauling landscaping stones for the garden on a bicycle!"

WEeeeeeEEE! Whoah, Whoah, WHOAH! You hit the brakes to try to stop your accelerating decent. The trailer starts to fishtail. "The tail wags the dog" so to speak. You beg God for mercy. Then you make the fatal mistake of squeezing your front brakes hard. You meet God in person.

Old 11-16-05, 08:32 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Ha ha ha. I have tears in my eyes from laughing as I write this stuff.
you have a great sense of humour, mike, so you'll appreciate this: I get hysterical thinking about all the idiots who believe they're safer driving a 3 ton SUV. ROFL!!
Old 11-16-05, 09:05 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you have a great sense of humour, mike, so you'll appreciate this: I get hysterical thinking about all the idiots who believe they're safer driving a 3 ton SUV. ROFL!!
It is funny until you think that you are sharing the road with them!
Old 11-16-05, 09:38 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
there's a ton of cargo bikes up on Mackinac Island, don't know how you go about tapping into a used one though.

Go check it out next summer. Nice place for a vacation but the biking's pretty limited (its an smallish island)
Old 11-16-05, 10:10 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here in the U.S., the oldest Utility Bike Manufacturer is Worksman Bicycles. https://www.worksman.com/ They have a pretty wide range of utility bikes
Old 11-16-05, 01:02 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
You also might want to check www.bikesatwork.com.
Old 11-16-05, 03:17 PM
pmseattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out www.antbikemike.com.
Old 11-16-05, 10:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

It is funny until you think that you are sharing the road with them!
mike, I was actually being snippy about your sense of humour - I was a little peeved when I posted that great website for cargo bikes and you immediately started ridiculing them! Anyway, sorry about that, even though apparently it went right over your head! But seriously...of course you could misuse any vehicle and get yourself hurt, but the risk associated with human powered cargo bikes is never going to rival the carnage and destruction wreaked by motor vehicles, yet you rarely seem to see anybody open an ad for a Hummer and start laughing their ass off at how stupid someone would have to be to buy it.
Regards
Robert
Old 11-16-05, 11:10 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I laugh my ass off and point repeatedly at every Hummer driver I see on the street though!
Old 11-17-05, 05:32 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mike, I was actually being snippy about your sense of humour - I was a little peeved when I posted that great website for cargo bikes and you immediately started ridiculing them! Anyway, sorry about that, even though apparently it went right over your head! But seriously...of course you could misuse any vehicle and get yourself hurt, but the risk associated with human powered cargo bikes is never going to rival the carnage and destruction wreaked by motor vehicles, yet you rarely seem to see anybody open an ad for a Hummer and start laughing their ass off at how stupid someone would have to be to buy it.
Regards
Robert
Oh... well, sorry I wasn't offended, I guess. Anyway, I wasn't trying to suggests that your idea to find utalitarian appropriate bicycle equipment is foolish. I am very utalitarian and I like the idea. That is why I was interested in your post. When I followed the link to the sights mentioned and saw the equipment, I was intrigued. Then, I started to think about the practicality and the over-design of THOSE specific freighters that can hold up to 700 pounds. I envisioned some poor fellow (like myself) trying one out for the first time and then getting in an unescapable jam. It seemed funny to me. Anyway, sorry if it was not funny to you. I did not mean to critisize your post.
Old 11-17-05, 08:04 AM
johann

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
www.encycleopedia.com at one time seemed to be the resource for all types of alternative bikes (including cargo). But it seems to have fallen on hard times, as latest issue is well over a year late from it's intended publication date. You can usually find old copies on ebay (if not directly from other sources).

Also www.workbike.org is a good resource.
Old 11-17-05, 10:58 AM
lancekagar
Champion Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
CETMAracks

This is a good domestic alternative to the popular "butcher bike" found in Europe, which I think is what you're looking for.

The difference is that European butcher bikes can carry much more because the rack is attatched to the frame and does not move when you turn the handlebars. Good for carrying really heavy stuff, but not for cruising around when you're not. And I don't know where to get them here in the states.

uh...but if I did I'd tell you. Heh.
Old 11-17-05, 11:18 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out this one. A bike trailer rated for 500 pounds. It mounts to your bicycle frame. ....You hit the brakes to try to stop your accelerating decent..... You meet God in person.
One solution to that would be to design the trailer with the wheels close to the rear end. The hitch and hitch-bar would have to be really strong, but then the cyclist could use his rear brake with little fear of fishtailing and skidding.

Otherwise, trailer-brakes could be in order. Especially for those of us who weigh a quarter what that trailer weighs fully loaded.
Old 11-17-05, 01:20 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Oh... well, sorry I wasn't offended, I guess.
thanks, cheers.
RGC
Old 11-17-05, 02:25 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd agree with mike here-- most cargo bikes claims are a little wacko. I've piled 70 lbs on a bike's rear rack/cargo bucket system and rode 2 miles on flat, heavy traffic roads for a couple years. It was really hard to control the bike, hard to petal, hard to stop. I've also carried over 100 lbs in several different styles of trailers. Also not easy.

Now I support bike cargo bikes 100%, but I'm also realistic about what they can safely handle.

If you're going to really spend some big money on a cargo bike-- Worksman is a great choice because they really know what they are doing.

You can also go the build-your-own route for less money. You can build a neat little trailer out of scrap wood, a chunk of old tire for a seatpost hitch and old BMX wheels. I've pulled lots of different trailers over the years, and the D.I.Y are not far behind the really spendy store bought ones. They all perform badly at higher speeds and hills, but for short hops and loads of less than 100 lbs-- they work well.

I've also had a old Tri-Star 3 speed trike with the big wire basket on the back-- those work pretty great and you can buy them pretty cheap used. If I wanted a everyday cargo hauler, I'd buy an old trike and upgrade to a new front fork/disc brake combo-- less than $500 even with some new parts you're going to need.

Good luck,
Tacomee
Old 11-17-05, 03:41 PM
cowboydan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for all the suggestions the ant bikes look likeexactly what i'm looking fo rthough they are still pretty pricey.