Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pletsher Twin Kickstand Questions?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 11:00 AM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

I am in the process of fitting out a 2002 Burley Rock and Roll to suit us. It has an Arai drag brake. So my Greenfield kickstand will not mount due to interference with the drag brake support arm. I never felt that having the kickstand so far back was the best setup anyway. I see a number of you have the Pletsher twin kickstand that mounts just behind the Stoker's BB. I was wondering if the Pletsher will fit all tandem setups or are some setups not suitable for the Pletsher? Is there a possibility of some part of the kickstand interfering with the primary or secondary chainrings? I have changed the Stokers crankset to a shortened Sram S600 MTB crankset and a shorter BB to keep the chain in the same line as was original.

I checked the Pletsher Website and they have only one twin kickstand listed in two different lengths and available in black or silver. They have it listed as "twin". Yet on some sellers websites they have a "Pletsher twin ESGE KS12" kickstand listed. Except for the two different lengths and two colors that Pletsher offers are all the Pletsher twin kickstands the same?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-20, 07:36 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
we havde this guy and it works well. it could be a bit longer as it hardly gets our 700cc wheel off the ground. but its stable and beefy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-11-20, 07:51 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If you eventually give up on the kick stand, you may wish to consider a Click-stand (Click-Stand Home Page)
Old 10-11-20, 07:38 PM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

Thanks to both of you that have replied. After doing a little more homework, I think I will pass on the Pletsher for now and give a Clickstand a try.
Old 10-11-20, 07:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by cyclehealth
Thanks to both of you that have replied. After doing a little more homework, I think I will pass on the Pletsher for now and give a Clickstand a try.
I saw a lot of problems with it I almost bought it.
Old 10-15-20, 10:30 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
This is our T900 with the Pletscher kickstand mounted. I've put one on every tandem we have owned. It is not the only twin leg kickstand on the market but it is elegant, cool, and strong enough for reasonable uses. I fear you will come to hate the Clickstand. A kickstand should not require both brakes to be locked first while you fish in your pannier for the stand pole and wedge it wherever you have decided will hold it best. As you can see, our ESGE does hold the rear wheel up off the ground, which is really handy when you've fixed a flat and want to let the chain find the gear its been set to. But that's a bonus. Most stands won't do that. But the ability to quickly and easily kick that sucker down and walk away is priceless. The Pletscher will fit far more bikes (and tandems) than it will not fit. Mainly the bikes it will not fit are very sporty with very little space between the bottom bracket and the rear wheel. Based on the pictures I've seen of the Burley R&R, the Esge will fit, no problem. FWIW.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-16-20, 07:11 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
If you eventually give up on the kick stand, you may wish to consider a Click-stand (Click-Stand Home Page)
You're going to hate the built-in rear rack stand on my Gazelle tandem.

I will be putting a Pletscher Twin kickstand on it soon. It has the frame plate for it and will be a lot easier and more intuitive than its current solution.

Old 10-16-20, 07:52 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
This is in part personal preference. We have used the click-stand on heavily loaded long tours for more than 10 years and found it to be simple and reliable. The stand is affixed to our frame so always available. A cord that resides on the handle bar readily locks a brake on. We sometimes tour with others that have the twined kickstand. They must find approximate level ground and their bike has fallen more than once, but perhaps they are less careful. The click-stand does not require level ground and our bike has never fallen (knock on wood). Either stand requires something like a wide plastic bottle cap in muddy conditions to keep the stand from sinking into soft dirt. It is of course true that fixing a flat is simple with the rear tire off the ground, but that also means you must lift your heavy load off the ground each time your park the bike, and a heavy load affects the stability of the twined kickstand when bike is up. We usually have tough tires on tour so rarely a flat (more knocking on wood), but panniers/bags must come off the bike to fix a flat, which is certainly a hassle. We also use a steer-stopper to lock the front wheel in line, which is important when carrying loads on front wheel. The steer-stopper is a bit pricey, we used to use a length of webbing wheel-to-frame, but the the steer-stopper is simpler.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 10-16-20, 10:55 AM
bobh123

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We use the Pletsher/Esge kickstand for normal (nontouring) use. It works very well, is easy and quick to deploy, and has the added benefit of holding the bike up like a bike stand when assembling and disassembling the bike when traveling. It has a weight limit, if I recall, of around 20 kg. So, we recently bought a Click-stand to use when the bike is loaded with panniers.
Old 10-16-20, 11:49 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
We have a Pletsher twin kickstand on our DaVinci Grand Junction. We like it. It is better than a one-legged stand for a loaded bike. Yes, it is a bit of a task to lift the loaded bike up to put the stand down. But, it holds the bike well on the stand and, as other have mentioned, it's beneficial to have the rear wheel off the ground (fixing a flat, adjusting disc brake, checking for glass in tire, etc.).
Old 10-16-20, 06:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

the one I recommended is a bit heavy but you don't have to lift the bike just pull it backwards with a foot against the kickstand and push it forward to bring it up,. It can handle 170 pounds.

Old 10-16-20, 10:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
the one I recommended is a bit heavy but you don't have to lift the bike just pull it backwards with a foot against the kickstand and push it forward to bring it up,. It can handle 170 pounds.
That does look like a nice stand. Definitely a wider stance than the Esge. A good thing. So don't keep us in suspense. Who makes it?
Edit: I have a cargo bike with a double (not Esge) stand and it (the stand) gets poor reviews. I can't verify this, but apparently Ergotec double leg stands are very good. All I can find out is they are German.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-16-20 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 07:11 AM
fooferdoggie 

Ursus Jumbo Double Leg Kickstand made in Italy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

here are some more pics. it works fine on less then flat surfaces. my only complaint is it doe not aways get the rear wheel off the ground. you also cant peddle the bike while using it like a work stand.

Old 10-17-20, 08:37 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Yes, the Jumbo is a good answer for a dual kickstand. I've been keeping an eye out for a used one to appear. Tough to fork out for a kickstand what many complete used bikes cost.
Old 12-14-20, 02:58 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bobh123
We use the Pletsher/Esge kickstand for normal (nontouring) use. It works very well, is easy and quick to deploy, and has the added benefit of holding the bike up like a bike stand when assembling and disassembling the bike when traveling. It has a weight limit, if I recall, of around 20 kg. So, we recently bought a Click-stand to use when the bike is loaded with panniers.
We've used the Pletscher for years on both our tandem and triplet, including with touring loads, with no issues. And I can tell you our triplet, loaded with front and rear bags, weights a lot more than 20 kilos!

Old 12-14-20, 04:31 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I am in the process of fitting out a 2002 Burley Rock and Roll to suit us. It has an Arai drag brake. So my Greenfield kickstand will not mount due to interference with the drag brake support arm. I never felt that having the kickstand so far back was the best setup anyway. I see a number of you have the Pletsher twin kickstand that mounts just behind the Stoker's BB. I was wondering if the Pletsher will fit all tandem setups or are some setups not suitable for the Pletsher? Is there a possibility of some part of the kickstand interfering with the primary or secondary chainrings? I have changed the Stokers crankset to a shortened Sram S600 MTB crankset and a shorter BB to keep the chain in the same line as was original.

I checked the Pletsher Website and they have only one twin kickstand listed in two different lengths and available in black or silver. They have it listed as "twin". Yet on some sellers websites they have a "Pletsher twin ESGE KS12" kickstand listed. Except for the two different lengths and two colors that Pletsher offers are all the Pletsher twin kickstands the same?

Thanks!
We had a Pletsher on our Burley Rock and Roll for many years. No issues. Use rubber padding (old tube) at the frame contact. Be careful you don't overtighten and ruin a chainstay.
Old 12-18-20, 07:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
+10 for the Pletcher. Hve had one on last 3 tandems. If a regular greenlee kickstand will fit then likely the pletcher will too.
Old 12-24-20, 05:48 PM
cyclehealth

Does a Pletcher double kickstand require a hard, flat, and level surface? We sometimes stop for a break on the sloped, gravel shoulder off beyond the edge of the pavement to be out of the way of traffic.