Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

'The Tech That Might Help Cyclists and Cars Coexist Safely'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-10-20, 07:52 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

'Last fall in Turin - before that area of Italy became a pandemic epicenter - a wobbly cyclist skirted a line of parked cars on a jammed suburban street as a large sedan rapidly approached from behind. In the morning drizzle, the driver was focused on a four-way stop that was coming up. Suddenly a warning graphic flashed on a display above the dashboard, indicating that a bicyclist was directly ahead, and the driver slowed to give the rider more room.

'Such encounters are part of a future vision of bicycle-to-vehicle communications that could help prevent accidents.'
I'd worry about drivers aiming for me.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/b...fety-cars.html
Old 10-13-20, 03:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I'd worry about drivers aiming for me.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/b...fety-cars.html
Sorry, but that's a dumb worry. Why would such a murderer need the technology to do that? This isn't going to make them more efficient in lining up collisions.
Old 10-14-20, 11:05 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, but that's a dumb worry. Why would such a murderer need the technology to do that? This isn't going to make them more efficient in lining up collisions.
Irony, employed for humo(u)r.
Old 10-15-20, 12:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Irony, employed for humo(u)r.

Needs work.
Old 10-15-20, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
This was discussed in another sub-forum....https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...-vehicles.html

I've got no issue with it. Why wouldn't I want something that alerts other things of my presence? It's not much different than a light, reflector, bright colors and other stuff we do to make sure others are aware of us.
Old 10-15-20, 09:19 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
Gimme fully autonomous cars.

Until then, all the little helpers, like lane keeping assists, auto braking etc. bring marginally more safety that is immediately negated because 'drivers' -- i use the term loosely -- start relying on it.

Look no further than back-up cameras for an illustration. They are quite useful, but how many people do you see backing out of their driveway or parking spot without turning their heads? I've changed my commuting route in the last few years because people glued to their phones and not paying attention has been getting worse. Short of the dang car driving itself, I don't see technology helping us out.
Likes For steine13:
Old 10-16-20, 09:00 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
Until then, all the little helpers, like lane keeping assists, auto braking etc. bring marginally more safety that is immediately negated because 'drivers' -- i use the term loosely -- start relying on it.
Yeah, I'm worried that all this "safety" technology is going to make people totally complacent when they drive. I have a feeling we'll get to a point where people won't know how to drive if some of this tech in their car stops working.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-24-20, 07:47 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yeah, I'm worried that all this "safety" technology is going to make people totally complacent when they drive. I have a feeling we'll get to a point where people won't know how to drive if some of this tech in their car stops working.
I have to laughingly agree with you... after living through the great southwest power blackout of 2011... motorists were absolutely stranded at failed stop lights as the drivers failed to follow basic rules of the road. They were paralyzed by not knowing when to go, without traffic signals.

Cyclists figured it out quickly, and just zipped by the giant "parking lot" of a traffic jamb that resulted by this paralysis.
Old 10-24-20, 09:46 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I agree. And the issue is compounded by texting with their cellphones while they are driving.