Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Endurance Bike Tire

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Endurance Bike Tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 09:37 AM
harvillo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Endurance Bike Tire

Going to be doing a short tour San Francisco to LA. I知 going to take my endurance bike this time since it痴 supported. I知 considering throwing some 32s on. It値l be about 150 grams more per tire. I知 not overly concerned with speed. I can keep up with a lot of peeps on my 40Lb ogre So I figure I can maintain a reasonable clip. Another reason for this is these tires mount super easy so flats take about 5 minutes as opposed to mucking around with a tubeless malfunction. I知 seeing mixed reviews. Note this won稚 involve gravel
Old 11-12-20, 10:52 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
You don't say what brand of tire.

With my endurance bike I have toured on 700c x 28 Continental Gatorskins and really like their flat protection even if they are a bit slow. 28 absorbs road buzz acceptably but I bumped it up to 32 and found them even a little more comfortable with about the same antidotal performance. Currently I am running 700 x 28 Continental GP 5000's and they are definitely faster, we'll see how long they last. If they wear and protect well I'll probably stick with them.

It all depends on how much rolling resistance vs the pita of fixing flats you want to live with.
Old 11-12-20, 11:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I was going to suggest the 32mm tires I have on my rando bike, I just did a google search and found they are now discontinued, and nobody has them in stock. Sorry, nothing to suggest.
Old 11-12-20, 02:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by harvillo
Going to be doing a short tour San Francisco to LA. I知 going to take my endurance bike this time since it痴 supported. I知 considering throwing some 32s on. It値l be about 150 grams more per tire. I知 not overly concerned with speed. I can keep up with a lot of peeps on my 40Lb ogre So I figure I can maintain a reasonable clip. Another reason for this is these tires mount super easy so flats take about 5 minutes as opposed to mucking around with a tubeless malfunction. I知 seeing mixed reviews. Note this won稚 involve gravel
ok. good to know your plans, i guess.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-12-20, 05:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
On supported tours, I ride my carbon sport bike with sport tires, in my case 23mm Conti 5000. I still carry 2 tubes, patch kit. boot kit, and a spare tire. Who wants to stand by the roadside waiting for the sag wagon?
Old 11-12-20, 05:56 PM
harvillo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I tested out some 32s and it was just too much of a penalty (feel) in the rolling resistance dept (not to mention weight after adding tubes and, gulp, liners - close to 200g lol). I loved my Conti 5000s but they were nearly impossible to mount on my Enve wheels. I've had great luck with my Hutchison Sector 28's and put them back on. I also carry tubes, a tire and just about everything else that could go wrong to avoid waiting for the sag.

Thanks again everyone! Happy trails :-)
Old 11-13-20, 07:15 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm running 32mM Continental GP5000s on my carbon Trek Domane but when I did some multi-day riding in Florida, I threw on 32MM Schwalbe Marathons since friends who moved down there said the roads down there made them switch tires. Each night I checked the tires, picked up a few wire shards but nothing got through - and zero gouges. The GP5000s pick up lots of gouges and I've had wire shards get through.
Old 11-14-20, 07:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by harvillo
I tested out some 32s and it was just too much of a penalty (feel) in the rolling resistance dept (not to mention weight after adding tubes and, gulp, liners - close to 200g lol). I loved my Conti 5000s but they were nearly impossible to mount on my Enve wheels. I've had great luck with my Hutchison Sector 28's and put them back on. I also carry tubes, a tire and just about everything else that could go wrong to avoid waiting for the sag.

Thanks again everyone! Happy trails :-)
Ive used 28 Gatorskins for years and years, and they are a good compromise of a lot more added protection than a lighter roadie tire, but still weigh and roll along rather well. I use them on a similar bike that you are referring to, mostly unloaded or lightly loaded, but I have even used this bike and 28 gatorskins fully loaded riding from Montreal to Boston (ie, not always great roads like you will be on) , and they worked perfectly well even with 35lbs of stuff on the bike, four panniers.

So the fact that you are riding unloaded, and on very good Cali roads (I did West coast trip loaded eons ago on 28s, back in the 90s) the chances are very small that you will have a problem.
It is also kinda funny that you are concerned about weight (200g) but you mention that you will carry a spare tire with you? On an unloaded ride on great roads? Sure, its up to you, but I certainly don't see the need to carry a spare tire. This summer I did a similar trip to yours distance wise, carrying one light pannier, on the bike with 28s and I just replaced the rear tire with a new 28 gatorskin as the old one was getting worn.

why do you use tire liners? I assume you are not talking about rim tape here?