Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie cog slip/skip

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie cog slip/skip

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 04:53 PM
jackhun0154

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixie cog slip/skip

I have a fixie with flip-flop hub, I usually ride with the singlespeed side, but once I want to use in fixed gear, but when I apply back pressure on the pedal, or pulling up with the strap, like trying to skid, the cog slip or skipping some teeth, I can't describe well how it feels. The cog and the lockring was tightened up, but the problem isn't gone.
Any ideas?
Old 11-11-20, 07:33 PM
rewop12

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only explanation for this is that your cog and lock ring aren't tightened enough. Make sure to tighten the cog and lock ring as tight as possible
Likes For rewop12:
Old 11-11-20, 10:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
If you don't skid your undies, don't skid your bike. If you do skid your undies, learn how to wipe.

Some of those really cheap fixed gears don't take well to much use and abuse like that. I might pull it apart, grease it properly and torque it down right or have your local shop take a look.
Old 11-12-20, 08:48 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You cog and lockring are not tight enough. If you do one good skid the way it is now, you will strip the threads off the lockring.
Old 11-13-20, 01:17 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i would remove the cog and locking and inspect for any damage. if everything looks ok clean, grease and reinstall. next put front wheel of bike into corner, hop on and stomp down on pedal to really tighten down the cog, then tighten down the lockring. if it slips after that just ted shred or buy an e-bike.
Old 11-14-20, 01:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
You cog and lockring are not tight enough.
If you don't have a chain whip to properly tighten the sprocket, try the rotafix method:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotafix

If you do one good skid the way it is now, you will strip the threads off the lockring.
More likely, strip the lockring threads on the hub, which, unfortunately, is even more expensive to fix. It's also possible that the OP is experiencing this issue because the hub is already damaged. Remove the lockring and sprocket and carefully examine the threads.

IMO, skid stops should not be your default method of stopping your bike in the first place.
Old 11-14-20, 04:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I stripped the sprocket threads of the rear hub of my first track bike, in 1964 (I was 13 and didn't know that you shouldn't install a British-threaded sprocket on a French-threaded hub). The mechanic in the local bike shop wrapped the hub in aluminum foil and threaded the same sprocket back on. Worked fine.

I've had that story in my holster for a long, long time, waiting for a thread like this to pop up.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-30-20, 10:40 AM
abou136

Bikes: Panasonic Olympic Titanium Track / Colnago Master Pista / Bishop stainless-steel road / Specialized Tarmac SL5 / Vynl Cross / Geekhouse Wormtown 29er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tighten the cog all the way down, then the lockring after
Old 11-30-20, 04:21 PM
estudiante

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all the cogs are same

I once had the same issue after changing the cog. Tightening did not work. I was thinking to buy a new hub. Then i remembered there was a thin shim between the cog and the lockring. Solved it in a few minutes.