Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campy Record Pista BB

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Campy Record Pista BB

Old 11-20-20, 09:54 AM
Anfieldtramp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Campy Record Pista BB

Hi all, new to the forum here. I would like to know if anyone of you has experience with the campy record pista BB? From what I understand it's best if the campy record cranks are paired together with the matching bb. However, I intend to use my bike for street use, and the lack of seals have me wondering if I'll be needing a new bb after a few months. I live in pretty humid, tropical part of the world where it rains often, and as a courier sometimes avoiding rain isn't an option.

From what I have read here, and elsewhere, it seems that with proper maintenance the lack of seals isn't an issue, but I would love to know firsthand from anyone who has experience using this bb+crankset combination. Thanks!
Old 11-20-20, 11:22 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Anfieldtramp
Hi all, new to the forum here. I would like to know if anyone of you has experience with the campy record pista BB? From what I understand it's best if the campy record cranks are paired together with the matching bb. However, I intend to use my bike for street use, and the lack of seals have me wondering if I'll be needing a new bb after a few months. I live in pretty humid, tropical part of the world where it rains often, and as a courier sometimes avoiding rain isn't an option.

From what I have read here, and elsewhere, it seems that with proper maintenance the lack of seals isn't an issue, but I would love to know firsthand from anyone who has experience using this bb+crankset combination. Thanks!

I've had one...

I have been using a Campag Record Pista crank on my Sw8 phiksie for what seems like forever. I've been through several bottom brackets with it. Campy Record Pista BB was the 1st - what could be easier than ordering matching parts meant for each other, amirite?

It did have seals...but was not sealed, if you know what I mean. I kinda noticed when I first got it but was too excited about installing my new parts to worry about it. Which considering I live and ride by the ocean so my bikes are subjected to constant moisture, salt, and grit was pretty dumb. The thing ran really nice at first but I did not treat it well so it suffered an early demise. My bad. But the positive is that Record Pista BBs weren't(still aren't?) that expensive.

Also...buying a Campy BB means you don't have to concern yourself with the long-running is it or isn't it assymetrical?, and the is Campagnolo's taper the same as or fractionally different from ISO? questions.

Just be nice and pay a little attention to it. Have fun - good luck...