Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What else do you spend your money on?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What else do you spend your money on?

Old 12-25-19, 10:15 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed333
I still have a couple of Jensens of older vintage, kevlar, a 16' racing single which needs some glass work at the sharp radius bends, and a 1982 Jensen 18.5' USCA cruiser, in good shape, bent shaft paddles. Either of these is available if interested, I am two hours from Boston. Also have a Mike Galt design Dandy, a solo sports canoe, short and saucy, not for racing,, but for fancy bladework, lots of flare. First time I ever stepped into it, I was swimming in the next micro second. Huge fun.
Ha, nice! The guy I bought this boat from was also about two hours from Boston. You might know each other. The guy was real eccentric but very friendly (like us all), had a black Mustang fastback in "ran-when-parked" condition in his garage along with about four or five canoes on a rack outside. When I came down to buy the Wenonah Jensen 18, he took me in his truck to a pond and we paddled around for a test. Won me right over, in spite of the water leaking in!!

I still don't have nice paddles. I think I paid $10 for the two plastic/metal things I've got now, but I am really not serious enough to warrant anything better until I sort out the seats and get some more mileage in. I think the current seats are too low, they hurt my back and the muscles around my hips.
Old 12-25-19, 10:47 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

I still don't have nice paddles. I think I paid $10 for the two plastic/metal things I've got now, but I am really not serious enough to warrant anything better until I sort out the seats and get some more mileage in. I think the current seats are too low, they hurt my back and the muscles around my hips.
First of all, that's a beautiful canoe.

I assume it's a Gene Jensen designed Wenonah Kevlar. Great score!!

We have a Jensen expedition canoe up at the cabin. I believe it is a 2003. Very light, fast and fun. Not a beginner's boat at all, but tracks great with a load in big water lakes and some of the rivers near us such as the Kawishiwi.

FWIW I would treat yourself to a nice Bending Branches paddle in your price range. More power, comfort, fairly lightweight and not crazy pricey.

As for your seating position, you won't want to raise the center of gravity much, if at all, in that boat. It's a fast, aggressive design but an absolute joy to paddle if you are putting big mile days on the water.

https://bendingbranches.com/paddles/canoe-paddles
Likes For gomango:
Old 12-25-19, 02:05 PM
Ed333

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The paddles you have look to be too long, which would have definite impact on back and hips from a low seat. The bent shafts are worthwhile, and the paddling motion is different with them, you don't reach way out, and you don't draw them back behind your hip on the stroke. More of an upper body rotation, not so much arm in it, with your legs thrusting against whatever brace you rig up, eg, in my old Sawyer Champ II, another USCA amateur racing boat, I had a length of one inch dowel suspended by line from a thwart. Or if in the bow, feet against a foam block wedged in. The shafts of the paddles will be shorter than you might think. Think of the canoe . being on wheels in a parking lot, and there are slots in the blacktop, into which you smoothly insert the paddle blade, and roll the boat past that slot, removing blade as it gets back past your hip. Not a 100% good analogy, but you get the idea...don't move water, move the boat.

quote/I still don't have nice paddles. I think I paid $10 for the two plastic/metal things I've got now, but I am really not serious enough to warrant anything better until I sort out the seats and get some more mileage in. I think the current seats are too low, they hurt my back and the muscles around my hips.[/QUOTE]
Likes For Ed333:
Old 12-25-19, 04:25 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
I have been a collector of things for many years and particularly enjoy collecting things that have a more personal touch to them....fountain pens and watches are among the things that I collect, they were worn and used on a daily basis and often times coveted by their owners.
I started collecting these when they did not have a lot of value and as a consequence I have a "few" of them.
I also like vintage film cameras as well as old cars (one under restoration).
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-25-19, 04:38 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
sd5782, did you know you can build a bow from a bicycle wheel rim? The plans are on Instructables. My daughter would have a fit if I built one for the kids, unfortunately.
Old 12-25-19, 04:53 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
Nutrition.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-26-19, 08:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

Well, besides hookers and blow.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-27-19 at 05:13 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-26-19, 10:32 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
I've always been into hiking for about as long as I've been into bicycles (which came about because I wanted to bicycle tour). Over the past few years I've been upgrading a lot of my gear to go UL (Ultralight). Like bikes it's very "gear" and "tinkerer" oriented.

So you could say I collect backpacks. I love bags in general, just like I like bikepacking bags. There is a lot of cottage industries around backpacking stuff (backpacks, tents, hammocks, down/insulated goods).

And modern fabrics like Dyneema/Cuben fiber have really changes the the game in terms of weight of a lot of gear.

So I guess you could say i collect backpacks to a degree (like bikes its more like I try different ones and move them on if they don't stick.

Do I collect camping hammocks? I dont know, but I have a half dozen.

Beers?
Yeah,

Jackets. I have a bit of a jacket problem. Sneakers too. Ive been on my feet a minimum of five miles a day for almost 500 days straight and I burn through a lot of shoes.

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 12-26-19, 11:35 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I feel like I'd wear gators almost all the time if they looked like that, those are sweet!
Likes For tashi:
Old 12-27-19, 11:25 AM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
I would probably buy cars but there is no place to put them. So am I the first one to say "more bikes"? Cuz they will fit. Actually I'm trying to kit out for some adventure riding, long days on a MTB, etc. I'm finding some new avenues for the cash to flow into gear I'm just starting to learn about.
Old 12-27-19, 04:19 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Loaded question but will share where my time has been spent. The 3 amigo acquired this last six months. Woof-
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 12-27-19, 04:29 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Loaded question but will share where my time has been spent. The 3 amigo acquired this last six months. Woof-
What a great picture.

It's a good one to write some captions on.
Old 12-27-19, 05:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Wileyone
What a great picture.

It's a good one to write some captions on.
They all look well loved.
Good Man!
Old 12-27-19, 05:09 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Mrs. Doc.

Best investment I've ever made.
Yep, you outkicked the coverage with Wally, yet still made the play. Makes me smile.
Old 12-29-19, 08:35 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Over the years I have accumulated fountain pens. I import my ink from the Herbin ink company which has been in business since 1680. They probably sold ink to Voltaire and Balzac, but they have original copies of records of orders from Victor Hugo. I don't have any four figure price pens and my collection is modest, but it had my favorite, marble green and see through green and a few other colors.
Likes For drbarney1:
Old 12-30-19, 09:59 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts

1964 Naples Sabot (CL ad pic)

1982 300SD Turbo Diesel
Aside from bikes, and the expenses of living, this year saw these 2. I was looking for a small, car top row boat to fish our mountain lakes when I found this Sabot. Owner got it for her 12th birthday in 1964. She bought a new sail and restored it for her first retirement project, then sold it to me. It has a lee board, so no centerboard trunk. Rows easily as any dingy. Cost = one of my C&V finds. Used to sail a 14' scow, so thought it would be similar & appropriate for a geezer. It is, if sailed in light air, but more wind & chop makes her much easier to capsize and a lot more difficult to right than any scow!

I keep my cars in excellent mechanical shape, but recently, both had electronic problems. Dealer svc writer told me "you should just sell these "old" cars(2000 sedan & 2004 wagon) and buy a new one. I had a better idea, found a 1982 S class Turbo Diesel with new factory engine instead. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 12-30-19 at 10:01 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-30-19, 10:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Firearms
and ammunition. And range time, and more ammunition.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-30-19, 10:09 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
and ammunition. And range time, and more ammunition.
You betcha. The true meaning and method of “gun control”.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-01-20, 12:48 AM
LadyGypsyRose

Bikes: Custom built Bianchi M.U.S.S. SS, Merlin Ti Road Bike, Merlin Fat Ti XL MTB, Vintage '90's Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Langster Pro Fixie custom built

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Antique dentistry tools, celebrity hair, Nazi memorabilia, and other collectables I probably shouldn't share...
^Interesting...what got you into collecting celebrity hair?

Myself, I generally spend my extra cash on my critters and knives and related items.
Old 01-01-20, 07:01 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I don't have one and I'm not interested in hauling one around the country and camping BUT........ I would love to have one of these in my back yard. Weird huh? I don't know why they do it for me, I've never even known anyone that had one. I've been to the factory (here in Ohio) to watch them being made.

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 01-01-20, 07:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo

1964 Naples Sabot (CL ad pic)

1982 300SD Turbo Diesel
Aside from bikes, and the expenses of living, this year saw these 2. I was looking for a small, car top row boat to fish our mountain lakes when I found this Sabot. Owner got it for her 12th birthday in 1964. She bought a new sail and restored it for her first retirement project, then sold it to me. It has a lee board, so no centerboard trunk. Rows easily as any dingy. Cost = one of my C&V finds. Used to sail a 14' scow, so thought it would be similar & appropriate for a geezer. It is, if sailed in light air, but more wind & chop makes her much easier to capsize and a lot more difficult to right than any scow!

I keep my cars in excellent mechanical shape, but recently, both had electronic problems. Dealer svc writer told me "you should just sell these "old" cars(2000 sedan & 2004 wagon) and buy a new one. I had a better idea, found a 1982 S class Turbo Diesel with new factory engine instead. Don
. I lived on a sail boat for more than a dozen years. My wife and I would spend our weekends at Santa Cruz Island and some of the other Channel Islands. When dockside I used to sail around the harbor in a Sidney Sabot . It had a center board and the hull was fiberglass with a foam core so it was quite a bit easier than yours to recover from capsize. I found that anything over 15-20kts of wind it would try to submarine itself! A lot of fun and yes it rowed really well. I later found an inflatable with an outboard motor much better for fishing and as a tender for the big boat. The good quality inflatables are very nice and once they plane out , they go quite fast. Bikes are a much cheaper hobby and the maintenance is less. I still miss those days on the open ocean, but I don’t miss the expense and work. As Jimmy Buffett said those days are well astern of me!
Old 01-01-20, 08:34 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I don't have one and I'm not interested in hauling one around the country and camping BUT........ I would love to have one of these in my back yard. Weird huh? I don't know why they do it for me, I've never even known anyone that had one. I've been to the factory (here in Ohio) to watch them being made.

I wouldn't mind an old Airstream. I would like to travel with it though. There are two factory authorized restoration shops near me. They turn a lot of them into food trucks, but also a number of owners bring their trailers in for a makeover and polish. Sometimes, the shops have them for sale.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 01-01-20, 01:39 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyGypsyRose
^Interesting...what got you into collecting celebrity hair?
Grandad Joyboy was senior mortician there at Whispering Glades in North Hollywood.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 01-01-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 06:04 PM
xiaoman1 

Speaking of cars here are a few of mine.....we started to drive the old 58 quite a lot more because the lack of use gummed up the Rochester Fuel Injection. I just pulled the original F.I.in order to do for a rebuild, it has been replaced with a WCFB for the moment....maybe a post in the "What are you working on today CV related"

Original drivetrain and lots of road scars and patina but like my bikes both are used and put away wet...I am a strong believer in enjoying things while I can and letting the next owner worry about the details and nicks in the paint.

Last edited by xiaoman1; 01-04-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 09:44 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
. Bikes are a much cheaper hobby and the maintenance is less.
Generally true, but $300 ask was less than its new sail. Down in cheap aluminum rowboat territory, a no brainer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.