Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

One battery wired to headlight/taillight?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 07:19 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

is the such a thing? One battery pack wired to headlight and taillight? Rechargeable or battery.
Old 08-11-20, 08:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
All the lights in my house are wired to one service panel.

Connecting them in parallel will be your better solution as opposed to in series. From there you need to consider the amount of current the lights draw and the amount of current the battery can supply.

Or are you asking if someone sells this configuration as a boxed product?
Old 08-11-20, 11:24 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
You can look at e-bike products; these are often wired to 12V power from the main battery. For instance. L&M make a brighter 800-lumen headlamp as well; I wouldn't get the combo pack with the dimmer 500-lumen lamp. Also Supernova makes a lot of these, and various cheap 12V LED accessory lights for ATVs and such are all over amazon/ebay/alibaba etc. Then you just need a 12V battery and likely some switches (e-bikes usually have a switch panel, so the lights themselves often don't). I hope you can solder a decent waterproof connection, because this will be a DIY project.

I've got a touring dynohub system (Son28 + Forumslader) that outputs 12V, so I picked up the L&M headlight for my bike. Very compact, bright, waterproof, light, well-built, but not particularly cheap. I prefer a daylight-bright rear flasher for safety, and I haven't yet found a rear 12V light that does what I want, so I'm using a Cygolite Hotshot (small rechargeable battery unit) despite having onboard 12V.

If I didn't need the dyno to charge my electronic devices on tour - I'd stick with basic rechargeable front and rear lights. Too much effort and hassle and cost to go from charging 2 batteries (F&R) to one (12V battery). However going from six devices to charge after riding (rear light, phone, tablet, camera, headphones, cache battery) to zero has been great.
Old 08-11-20, 11:26 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Wait, ignore all that - you're probably just looking for something like this. Great for commuting in the dark (my housemate has one) but the rear light isn't really daylight visible.
Old 08-12-20, 01:09 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
https://www.magicshine.us/product/ta...s-bike-lights/
Old 08-12-20, 09:37 AM
Elbeinlaw

Thanks. Both were exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-12-20, 03:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lightbulb Diy

Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
is the such a thing? One battery pack wired to headlight and taillight? Rechargeable or battery.
I've done so 30 years ago. DIY... halogen bulb headlight & incandescent tail light.
battery pack = 5 x 1.2v batteries in series.(= 6v) Ni Cad D's..

Now LEDs have advanced so I took it out put a 2x AAA powered tail light on the mudguard..

Bike I ride in the dark season now has a hub dynamo for power..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-12-20 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 03:28 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
B&M offers a wide range of e-bike lights (front and rear) with quite a flexible voltage input from usually 6 to 48 V. So you could connect two e-bike lights to a 3s or 4s Li-Ion battery.
Old 08-18-20, 07:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There are gel cells to , for motorcycles so battery fluid wont spill . they're made pretty small ..may not have to be upright..
Old 08-20-20, 02:04 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Rear lights last so long it's usually just not worth it.

Best solution for convenience for me was one of two things:
1. Get a dynamo light - no battery charging ever, generates the electricity as you ride.
2. Store the bike and the light chargers next to each other, with the lights still on the bike plug them into the charger(s) after every ride.
Old 08-20-20, 03:37 PM
Elbeinlaw

Screwed up wheel today, ironically as I was dropping the bikes off at the bike store for their post-purchase, post 90 day ride warranty adjustment. Stupid stupid stupid. Wheel will have to be replaced. But in my latest incident of poor planning, it was the BACK wheel. [Slapping my head] Should'a hit that old lady on the sidewalk in her wheel chair with the FRONT wheel.

I'm sure a dynamo is in my future. Once I recover from the cost of these bikes and all the assorted paraphernalia.
Old 10-18-20, 04:04 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
To make the cyclist lifestyle less inelegant than unstrapping and plugging in my trio of usb lights at work & home, unstrapping & restrapping all three not cheap lights at the store, bolt-on lights and one removable battery does seem pretty ideal.

I’ve done the dynamo thing. I’m kinda grateful that one aspect of a big wreck I had is that it liberated me from that paranoia-inducingly expensive wheel and lightset which had me carrying around way more mass and volume in lock chain or cable than is truly sensible.

I’ll definitely do another dynamo wheel for touring, but for commuting a pair of L&M Urban 1000’s (one straight, one aimed off to the right for people at intersections too eager to turn right to be looking for a space between oncoming cars AND a random cyclist) and a retina burning Serfas Vulcan 350 plus a single lock seems about the least pain-in-the-butt setup.